• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Just not excited for mainline AC anymore, really miss the old formula; I understand why they'd move away from it but I feel like both can exist at the same time.

Either way, let's see what's presented (tomorrow?)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that Unity and Syndicate were fun games, but didn't leave as much of an impact on me as much as I wanted them too. However, once Origins and then Odyssey came around, I became enthralled by the series again. I understand the RPG mechanics aren't for everyone, but I personally really like them and want Ubisoft to dig deeper into them.

I'm not sure if I like it as much in some of their other games like Far Cry, but that's another debate for another day.
Tomorrow is going to be a great day...
Hmm...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If you've been spoiled, don't worry.

People that have been spoiled do not have their enjoyment of a piece of media significantly affected, and can actually enjoy them more.

It's not really about the plot points themselves, but the context, the storytelling, and the journey of reaching significant plot points.

This is why I can watch musicals that I know inside out and still bawl at their emotional climaxes. It's why people still watch Romeo & Juliet after 400 years. It's why you can watch murder mysteries multiple times, knowing who the killer is, because you can enjoy how the story was told and the clues and details that led up to them.
Are we still using this single study to make declarative statements like that?

Posted this the last time the topic came up
Yeah no. It's the same study every single time and the way they researched was "we had two groups, one read a short story, one we told them the story beats before they read and they enjoyed it more."

There's no point of comparison between a short story you knew nothing about 10 minutes before and something you've been expecting for years, or the next installment of a movie/game series you like, or the ending of something you've been looking forward to for a long, long time.
Actually, it wasn't even that. One group read a short story, another read a version of the story that was edited to include a paragraph that mentioned plot points

That scenario isn't remotely similar to having a movie/book/game spoiled. For that other group, that wasn't a short story being spoiled; they're going into the story blind and to them, that's just how the story is written. An actual example would be how the movie Fallen starts with "I want to tell you about the time I almost died".

Another version had the experimenter give an introduction with a synopsis that summarizes the plot. Which again, for a group going in blind, that's just the nature of the plot. They have no expectations

In that version of the study, the experimenter would ask the subject mid-reading to rate how they were enjoying the story. To conclude that the spoiler group enjoyed it more because it was spoiled is a questionable correlation to make

The researchers made an argument using The Usual Suspects that how if you know the ending of a film beforehand, you can appreciate the storytelling and filmmaking more. Like...of course, obviously, that's part of the enjoyment of rewatches and revisits for myriad films, as opposed to the initial viewing

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Quarantine has got me full blown into Odyssey, hyped for this! I definitely get the perspective of folks that loved the old school AC games, but I really enjoy what they've done in Origins and built on in odyssey. I hope they take it further. Normally I'd agree that it should be smaller, but having all this time at home really makes me appreciate the content in odyssey finally lol

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, I think I missed this thread the first time it came around. I didn't realize we were likely getting a Norse mythology AC, that sounds GREAT.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Oh, interesting.
Mostly because I take it we're seeing it in some kind of next gen terafloppery, right ?

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Tomorrow is going to be a great day...

qx0cKEh.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If you've been spoiled, don't worry.

People that have been spoiled do not have their enjoyment of a piece of media significantly affected, and can actually enjoy them more.

It's not really about the plot points themselves, but the context, the storytelling, and the journey of reaching significant plot points.

This is why I can watch musicals that I know inside out and still bawl at their emotional climaxes. It's why people still watch Romeo & Juliet after 400 years. It's why you can watch murder mysteries multiple times, knowing who the killer is, because you can enjoy how the story was told and the clues and details that led up to them.

Wrong thread?

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
No idea what I'm looking at here. Who even are these people?

It's the Twitch channel of the most important videogame portal in Italy. Tomorrow a new game will be announced here, it has been hinted as the new AC.
Pretty confirmed.

I posted it only beacuse you asked for a link. But it's useless, tomorrow there will be coverages in the full internet.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It's the Twitch channel of the most important videogame portal in Italy. Tomorrow a new game will be announced here, it has been hinted as the new AC.
Pretty confirmed.

I posted it only beacuse you asked for a link. But it's useless, tomorrow there will be coverages in the full internet.
Whenever I tried to play the video, nothing happened. I just wanted to see where they said the bomb will be dropped and hinted at a new AC.

It's just weird because nobody else is talking about it, and usually that happens when something isn't real.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Why would they randomly announce a new next-gen AC on some Italian gaming website? No way.

It's not going to be announced through them. They probably just know It's happening, saw the reveal and all, but they're under nda. So to hype people up (and make people come back to their website) they say that something's coming.

Some french media are reporting the same for tomorrow, it's not exclusive to that Italian website.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
It's not going to be announced through them. They probably just know It's happening, saw the reveal and all, but they're under nda. So to hype people up (and make people come back to their website) they say that something's coming.

Some french media are reporting the same for tomorrow, it's not exclusive to that Italian website.

Exactly. It seems that embargo will end at 13.00 tomorrow (Italy) or some hours later.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Welp. Shinobi just confirmed AC Vikings for tomorrow. Well, he said yes to three things. Sony, AC Vikings and Xbox "shrugs"

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we'll get gameplay until one of the major console reveal events. Probs a logo reveal, cgi trailer and maybe gameplay screenshots.