• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This feels very similar to the specificity of the Devil May Cry collection/sequel and Soul Caliber VI rumors that excluded Xbox (and ended up being bunk). If a multi-plat port is being made, I'm surprised when a western-leaning title skips the lowest-effort conversion. It's the sort of decision that makes sense to platform enthusiasts more than an actual publisher. Unless there are somehow publishing terms specifically against Microsoft, I don't think it would play out that way.

We'll see down the road, I suppose.

Because Activision loves money and wants to milk Crash?

Milk = "make and sell videogames to people who want to buy them"

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Eh. That game probably doesn't get made without Sony's involvement. And any deal they had could easily allow for Switch & PC while excluding XB1. The same way FFXII isn't coming to XB1 but it went to PC.
If Sony's intervention is the reason why this game won't come to Xbone (even though we've seen some evidence pointing towards the contrary) then I don't think it would come to the Switch either.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has nothing to do with the game not coming to XBO. the logic behind that is bunk. the simplest answer is most likely: Activision just doesnt think the return on investment is worth it

Oct 27, 2017
Crash is a Sony character in the same way that Banjo is a Nintendo character. They used to be over 15 years ago. But now Banjo is with Microsoft. Crash is an Activision character. In fact you can even play as Crash on Xb1 and Switch right now via Skylanders. Crash is with Activision now, and the sooner people accept that, the better.

OP
OP
Wrestleman

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Crash is a Sony character in the same way that Banjo is a Nintendo character. They used to be over 15 years ago. But now Banjo is with Microsoft. Crash is an Activision character. In fact you can even play as Crash on Xb1 and Switch right now via Skylanders. Crash is with Activision now, and the sooner people accept that, the better.

If you want to be technical, Crash has been with the same owner the entirety of its existence. Sony was just a publishing partner.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has nothing to do with the game not coming to XBO. the logic behind that is bunk. the simplest answer is most likely: Activision just doesnt think the return on investment is worth it

With the similarity between PS4 and XB1 architecture compared to something like the Switch, that's pretty unlikely. If this is how the release plays out, licensing terms would be the most likely root. An example that comes to mind is Puyo Tetris, which had licensing oddities hold up the XB1 version in the US, despite having an oversees release (where it would have have made less sense to release in the first place if it were a question of platform viability).

If only Xbox specifically is left out it won't have anything to do with sales potential. If that really happens Sony contractually must have gotten some say in the matter

Last edited:

EmryX

Oct 30, 2017
30fps was a design choice since the originals ran at the same frame rate.
When a framerate can ever be a DESIGN CHOICE ?
If a game can run at 60fps, why keeping it at a lower 30fps can be better design choice ? If your game run at 30fps, it's because you can't (because of the visuals, because of hardware, because of poor optimisation, etc.).

That's a poor excuse.

But yeah, if Crash N.Sane trilogy run at 30fps on PS4 Pro, i assume they were lazy, or bad at optimising their engine.
And i'm afraid of the result on Switch. But not because of the Switch.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people actually believe that "No Switch clause" garbage when it comes to MHW. It was unverified reddit garbage. The current configuration of that game was clearly designed to be on PS4/XB1 from Day 1, and the Switch not even being a year old didn't exactly leave a lot of developmental time for them to try and figure out if it was even possible to get a version of it on Switch, especially while keeping the other versions of the game on schedule. That's obviously why it was skipped, not some nonsense imaginary clause.

I tend to think an N Sane trilogy would come out on Xbox, but if for some reason it doesn't, it probably reflects more that Activision doesn't think there's a market for a mascot platformer on Xbox, especially when it's a late port. It's not uncommon for games to skip Xbox over demographics/genre stuff, Japanese games do it all the time (Persona, Yakuza, etc).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the similarity between PS4 and XB1 architecture compared to something like the Switch, that's pretty unlikely (if this is how the release plays out).
I think it's pretty unlikely too, but Acti thinking the return is too small to be worth the money spent on fees and printing is believable. far more than "sony doesnt want it" at least

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People comparing Japanese games to Crash, a huge game in the US, to a console in the US that skews both younger than PlayStation does, and does by percentage better with childrens / younger demographic games. Which also is very close in sales in the US with the PS4.

I would hope the people that Activsion employs to run those numbers are much better at the job than that to ignore those factors.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
People comparing Japanese games to Crash, a huge game in the US, to a console in the US that skews both younger than PlayStation does, and does by percentage better with childrens / younger demographic games. Which also is very close in sales in the US with the PS4.

I would hope the people that Activsion employs to run those numbers are much better at the job than that to ignore those factors.

I don't mean to direct this at anyone in the conversation here, but I think most who honestly believe there's not a viable market for selling games on Xbox in the United States are projecting their own wishful thinking more than any awareness of market realities.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
If Sony's intervention is the reason why this game won't come to Xbone (even though we've seen some evidence pointing towards the contrary) then I don't think it would come to the Switch either.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they don't look at switch the same way they look at the XB1

Yea, Activision would never opt out of a console unless explicitly paid to. We know that for a fact. Any console exclusion would for sure not be coming from them.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to direct this at anyone in the conversation here, I think most who honestly believe there's not a viable market for selling games on Xbox in the United States are projecting their own wishful thinking more than any awareness of market realities.

I mean, I guess its possible that Activision would just for the hell of it not release an Xbox One version of Crash. But I can't for the life of me think of any way that strategy would make sense.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sonic Mania was a multiplatform release, was successful and that was catered towards the fans who grew up with the Genesis games.
I think Sonic has been well established as an independent property - to the point where SEGA doesn't need their own hardware or extra branding from Sony or Nintendo or Xbox to make him successful.

I would love Crash to be as big as Sonic, but he's not.
only idiot fanboys think this
I grew up with Crash as I have not only played most of the games, but also kept track of their critical and commercial reception. I don't have all of the answers, but I feel confident in understanding why this franchise has succeeded and failed where it has.

If you think that makes me an idiot and a fanboy, then we're not going to get along.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Sony paid money to keep this off Xbox first time around I guess now they extending that contract
Why do people keep repeating this as gospel? Do they have any proof whatsoever?

Either way I hope when this does come it's priced fairly; Switch ports have a horrid tendency to have increased prices, and I think one of the things people underestimate about the sales of CNT is that it released at a super appealing, impulse buy level £30

Nov 3, 2017
Why do people keep repeating this as gospel? Do they have any proof whatsoever?

Either way I hope when this does come it's priced fairly; Switch ports have a horrid tendency to have increased prices, and I think one of the things people underestimate about the sales of CNT is that it released at a super appealing, impulse buy level £30

What other reason is there, this franchise has been multiplatform for YEARS

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The simplest explanation is that Max Arguile, not concerned with being exhaustive, used PC and Switch as way to show the game expanding. The Xbox version was simply omitted when writing this very casual article.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously though guys I don't think my joycons can take the abuse of some of those Crash 1 gems.

OP
OP
Wrestleman

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
UPDATE:

The publisher behind the Licensing magazine has changed their article and Max Arguile's quote has been changed.

THE ORIGINAL QUOTE:

edwjfnewfewie.PNG

Seems like it's good to go now :V

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrath of Cortex was pretty good.

No it wasn't,
  • Jumps physic felt floaty,
  • The new gimmick weren't fun to play,
  • Despite being on a more powerful hardware the game somehow looked worse than the PS1 games,
  • Sneak was a pointless powerup and was only used once in the entire game,
  • The game offered nothing new to the series and any new features like the invisibility box were only used once,
  • The game is clearly rushed and unpolished.

Oct 26, 2017
You have to be disillusioned to think Acti would do such a thing.

It would be stupid as hell really. There are several examples of games in this genre that sold great on the system and there's a real good chance the Crash games would too.

We had a similar situation with Soul Calibur but those were rumors and I don't think the source was all that great. Hope we get some clarity on this soon, tires of the vagueness of Activision on this.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
We're not talking about it being multiplatform tho? This is about it going to XB1
what's with the question mark

anyways yeah that's what doesn't make sense to me. If Sony is involved then I don't understand why they would let it be on Switch and not Xbone

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the 1-year(?) exclusivity deal with Sony is still going on and of course they don't want the public to know that it will come out on other platforms in the future.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
When a framerate can ever be a DESIGN CHOICE ?
If a game can run at 60fps, why keeping it at a lower 30fps can be better design choice ? If your game run at 30fps, it's because you can't (because of the visuals, because of hardware, because of poor optimisation, etc.).

That's a poor excuse.

But yeah, if Crash N.Sane trilogy run at 30fps on PS4 Pro, i assume they were lazy, or bad at optimising their engine.
And i'm afraid of the result on Switch. But not because of the Switch.
Except it was literally a design choice, they said it themselves in one of the multiple interviews they had about it.
They deliberately made the game run at 30fps even on the vanilla PS4 with not even a single frame drop throughout the game as per DigitalFoundry so it wasn't "poor optimization".

Was it the best decision? Probably not, but please refrain from posting this kind of comments if you don't even have the slighlest clue of what happened during the game's development.

Jacob LeBeau

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
How am I "hating Nintendo" by saying this leak is likely fake because it doesn't mention an XB1 version?

What proof? It is true that someone said there's a five-year plan, but there's no proof of that actually being the case (and it's likely fake since it doesn't mention the XB1 when Activision has, historically, ignored Nintendo platforms). It's probably coming to PC only, or PC/XB1/NSW or it's not getting ported at all.

UPDATE:

The publisher behind the Licensing magazine has changed their article and Max Arguile's quote has been changed.

Seems like it's good to go now :V

So, uh , Adamska, what was that about there be no proof? |:)

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Except it was literally a design choice, they said it themselves in one of the multiple interviews they had about it.
They deliberately made the game run at 30fps even on the vanilla PS4 with not even a single frame drop throughout the game as per DigitalFoundry so it wasn't "poor optimization".

Picking up the clock in the time attack mode says hi. :)

Jacob LeBeau

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
What proof are you referring to? Where they altered the quote to not mention a port at all? Or the reports on the quote which remain unsubstantiated (save for eurogamer saying that a source of their has heard of similar plans, but no actual confirmation)?
The fact that they edited it, basically confirming it real. Stop pretending it's not because it won't be coming to xbox.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't mean to direct this at anyone in the conversation here, but I think most who honestly believe there's not a viable market for selling games on Xbox in the United States are projecting their own wishful thinking more than any awareness of market realities.
Exactly, even more if it's from a western developer and IP.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing devil's advocate here, but a similar situation happened with NECA when they leaked that Crash was coming back a few years ago.