• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're different games by what Metric? They share the same character roster and even have interactivity, albeit limited.

Is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe actually Mario Kart 9? Is Resident Evil 4 PS2 actually Resident Evil 5 because it has bonus content that the Gamecube version didn't have? BS, they're both Resident Evil 4.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 5. Smash 4 and 5 both have completely different types of single player content, different stages, and even different trophies. We also have hard evidence that they're considered 4 and 5 because we know this new one was six. And Nintendo doesn't do Apple BS and skip numbers.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't there been a history a people posing as developers for games, even when it's all fabricated? I remember a person pretending for years to work for, I think, EA.

Isn't there some amount of verification necessary for LinkedIn? Like, if you list your employer can the employer reject your listing if you didn't actually work there?

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Damn they got him real fast. Poor guy.

Wasnt that much interested in Smash if its just a port but it looks like its a new game what got me a little more excited.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
The guy's name is in the credits for Mario Odyssey, for crying out loud! He's not pretending to work for Nintendo- either that, or someone else built up an entirely separate Tiago Sonobe account for some time without the real Tiago's knowledge just to pull off a very weak and innocent-looking leak that he would take down almost immediately.

The amount of effort involved in such a deception doesn't match the result, nor does the idea that the real Tiago wouldn't be made aware of this by now track with reality. I guess we can wait a couple to see if there is a real Tiago who is as deeply confused as I am why anyone would put so much effort put into a worthless impersonation, but I seriously doubt it.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 5. Smash 4 and 5 both have completely different types of single player content, different stages, and even different trophies. We also have hard evidence that they're considered 4 and 5 because we know this new one was six. And Nintendo doesn't do Apple BS and skip numbers.

Your evidence that this is Smash 6 is one job listing from four years ago which could have well been a typo. If Nintendo titles the game "Smash 6" or some sort of pun around Smash 6: sure, you'll be right, but there's little evidence of that.

Resident Evil 4 had different single player content on various consoles but it was still Resident Evil 4.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't Mario Kart 9 for the very reason that the extra content isn't wildly different and the base game remains similar.
Soul Calibur 2 had different characters across consoles, but was still Soul Calibur 2.
Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U both shared characters, physics, a lot of stages and other bits of content but because there are some differences there we're calling them different games?

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole 'Smash 6' idea has been thoroughly debunked at this point, so we can probably just move on. After all, this series has never used numbers for ordering, so you could argue 'Smash 5' is just as wrong. For all we know, it's canonically a prequel to Smash 64 and should therefore be called 'Smash 63' colloquially. ;P

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Your evidence that this is Smash 6 is one job listing from four years ago which could have well been a typo. If Nintendo titles the game "Smash 6" or some sort of pun around Smash 6: sure, you'll be right, but there's little evidence of that.

Resident Evil 4 had different single player content on various consoles but it was still Resident Evil 4.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't Mario Kart 9 for the very reason that the extra content isn't wildly different and the base game remains similar.
Soul Calibur 2 had different characters across consoles, but was still Soul Calibur 2.
Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U both shared characters, physics, a lot of stages and other bits of content but because there are some differences there we're calling them different games?

I doubt that old job listing is real but Sakurai has actually refered to smash wiiu and smash 3ds as smash 4 and smash 5, it was probably their internal names

https://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Kotaku: I know Mega Man is a character that has been requested for a very long time - is there something different about this game that will make it okay to bring in Mega Man? Have you tried to include Mega Man before?

Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.

Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?

Sakurai: Yeah, exactly

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sakurai also called them version 4 and version 5 in an interview. The games share a lot - fighting systems, characters, items, DLC stages and the "Stadium" modes aside from the break the targets one, but everything else is different. Basic menu presentation, other single player modes (even Classic mode/All Star vs Classic/All Star mode are structured differently and have different presentation), trophies, most stages in the base game...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Even Sakurai refers to 3DS & Wii U as Smash 4 & 5 respectively, though I side-step the issue by just referring to the games as Smash 3DS & Smash Wii U to minimize confusion.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Splitting hairs about this being "Smash 6" is a pointless discussion because none of the games utilize a numbered title.

The exception is utilizing Smash 4 as a widely accepted colloquialism is because not a lot of people want to bother with specifics when it comes to referring to the game in the most broad strokes. They're similar enough at their core that having to specify the version only matters if what you're discussing pertains to the game's ancillary features. You don't refer to the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 as "Rayman 3" because it has content not present in the N64 and PS1 versions. No one sensible is going to be confused when people refer to Smash Wii U as Smash 4, except people who read an obscure interview and can't read between the lines because Sakurai personally refers to it as a different version in a game development capacity.

Which is why arguing about whether or not people should call it Smash 5 is pointless since it's going to stop once the title is revealed. And I'd still imagine the likelihood of the Japanese title being "Smash Bros. V" due to the trend of using single letters as titles is fairly likely.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I can't understand why he would make this kind of tweet. Don't you have to sign an NDA on this stuff especially if you're at Nintendo HQ? Although I guess he immediately realized his mistake but Nintendo will for sure get wind of it.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New game! New graphics engine with PBR, and Bandai Namco's planning team have experience with working on Daisy now! Hype!!!

mathematics

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand why he would make this kind of tweet. Don't you have to sign an NDA on this stuff especially if you're at Nintendo HQ? Although I guess he immediately realized his mistake but Nintendo will for sure get wind of it.

Lesson to learn. Read your offer letter and other documents that come with it carefully. You can be working on some really cool stuff but still have to respect the company and their relationships

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
We are gathered here today to honor the sacrifice of a very brave man.

It seems the next Smash Bros will be huge. Can't wait for it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

As a brazilian i hope he doesnt get in trouble for this, if he really works at nintendo.

Poor Tiago. #SomosTodosTiago

Cmon my fellow brazillian don't get fired please.

Haha, Brazil always leak.

VAI BRASIL!
(Go Brazil)

7x1 redeemed.

Caipirinha, feijoada.

Seriously, happy a brazilian guy is was working at Nintendo....

He was probably drunk tho...

and by your avatar, I know from where you are :D

Brazilians can't hold their tongue haha

For everyone that beeped my brazildar, come join us na comunidade Brasilera and talk a little portuguese

Also everyone else is invited to speak both portuguese or english

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I don't know how he could possibly lose his job with that tweet. I mean, it doesn't really seem like a big deal or a huge leak.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Isn't there some amount of verification necessary for LinkedIn? Like, if you list your employer can the employer reject your listing if you didn't actually work there?

Even so, I managed to create an account on LinkedIn for someone I do not represent, after a week I got invites from people that were collegues to this person. That way I managed to build up a circle of friends that all think I am their collegue, and I never even shared an article or chatted with anyone ever.

Got a lot of recommendations as well! All I had to do was accept a bunch of stuff. So I wouldn't say LinkedIN makes someone legit at all.