• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Juggernaut numbers that will just incentivize these poor releases that fix themselves several months later.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
It still hurts me to see those Bad Company sales. Such a wonderful new addition to the BF franchise that was.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They do really good trailers. COD Vanguard was the least hyped COD in a long while and Halo is exclusive.
There's clearly an interest at what BF tries to provide, it's just a shame they failed terribly.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Juggernaut numbers that will just incentivize these poor releases that fix themselves several months later.

Not really. This is def a disappointment for Ea. It couldn't beat the numbers of a ten year old game, while releasing on more systems than Bf3 did.

It's not doomsday, but I doubt the brass are happy.

Oct 27, 2017
Be interested to see how the sales are doing now, relative to expectations.

I've been taking a bit of an extended break from most gaming related stuff recently, and BF2042's launch was one of the things I missed completely. Reading about the game a few weeks later, the word of mouth around it absolutely stinks.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wonder if this'll be like Cyberpunk last year where it had some insane week 1 numbers, and then fell off a cliff as the word of mouth spread.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
This is depressing... did people not play the beta???

Also BC2 sales are criminally low.

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
Decent sales - probably made a respectable profit on their development, but the long term revenue is very much in danger

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Depressing to be honest. They sent a long and detailed feedback survey out over email, and I took the time to write out exactly how poor the game is in a good number of areas

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Now let's see if the game has decent legs or is gonna fall off a cliff.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How could it not sell gangbusters with those trailers. Shame the actual game apparently can't live up to them.

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Meanwhile the newest patch breaks mouse control lmfao

Gamers stay our own worst enemies, incompetent studios like DICE's biggest innovation is just how broken their game can be and still sell for $60+ lmfao

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't even show a minute of uncut Battlefield 2042 footage prior to the beta, the beta itself was a technical mess and there was a low cost 10-hour trial that was widely available.

Congrats to EA and DICE - and especially to the marketing divisions of both.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Dont ever want to hear from any of you again how brand power doesnt sell, no matter how mediocre a game is.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
People were SUPER hyped leading up to launch. The combination of going back to a more modern setting after BF1 and BF5 and Vanguard looking lame as hell made people's expectation shoot through the roof.

Unfortunately (and in typical DICE fashion) the product is so incredibly janky that the sentiment is now nearly all negative. Hope they're able to get the game in a good place by the time I can finally snag a Series X.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck did bad company sell SO poorly?!
Part of it was that it was a console exclusive for what had more or less entirely been a PC focussed series at that point. Console players just didn't really know what the hell Battlefield was and the PC fanbase that probably would have ate it up didn't have access to it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's getting really tiresome when people rush and reward these half assed launches.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
That explains why EA didn't follow up with BC3 after BF3.

That said, BC2 is what got people on console to pay attention to the franchise at all.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they saw that money while in Beta, imagine how many millions they can get selling the game still in the alpha stages

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
This is not a surprise. A new and modern Battlefield was always going to sell gangbusters in the wake of a WW2 CoD. I'd be worried about the long-term sales figures if I were EA. New players will be hesitant to buy the game when they see the 'mostly negative' review average on Steam.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact EA is making such sweeping changes despite these sales means that EA have still got the message IMO (which is a miracle, since money talks with these people).

Mind you, I think player retention is the more important stat these days, so that's probably why EA is repos ding so quickly.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Absolutely no way this happened. Game is awful and word of mouth is awful. If it really did those numbers I wonder how many are going to be refunded.

Oct 15, 2021
This is just proof that high sales =/= high quality

never has, never will. Correlation does not equate to causation. Never ever ever ever.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck did bad company sell SO poorly?!
Bad Company is what propelled the franchise to allow BF3 to happen in the first place. They were two quality shooters and then the BF3 marketing and direction change happened which got millions of console fans excited.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
It outsold 4 and 1 week one?!? That's crazy.
Not really imo - people (myself included) were really hyped for bf2042. The real negativity started after people got their hands on the game and I'd wager a lot of those week1 sales came from pre-orders and day1 sales.
I'd be even more interested in a comparison of week2 sales across those titles to see if bf2042 really dropped of a cliff as I'd expect.