• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Battlefield V team loves that Call of Duty may ditch its campaign

https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/18/...ves-that-call-of-duty-may-ditch-its-campaign/

The Battlefield team at developer DICE is ecstatic today, according to a source familiar with the studio. That's because Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 may not have a single-player campaign when it ships in October, according to Polygon and multiple corroborating reports on Activsion's biggest series. Instead, Black Ops developer Treyarch is focusing on the military shooter's competitive multiplayer and cooperative zombies mode, which are both megapopular with Call of Duty's millions of players.

If Black Ops 4 launches without a campaign, the team at DICE is happy because it thinks it may have an advantage over its rival when it launches the next Battlefield. EA has already announced that it will release a Battlefield sequel this year, and in March, I reported Battlefield V (as EA is calling it) will return to World War II. In Battlefield V, DICE is planning to continue the vignette-style storytelling that it started in the campaign for Battlefield 1, and that offering could now attract people who played Call of Duty for its bombastic action-movie-like stories.

withani

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

Next up, Destiny 2: Crucible Battle Royale

Coming to Switch

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Lately I have the feeling that I am only gamer that is not interested in the slightest about battle royale games or modes...

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing about Battle Royale complaining is that not a single AAA Battle Royale game exists.

People are already complaining constantly and not a SINGLE big developer has even gotten a chance to show what they can do with the genre.

I love the video game industry.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
They love it because they will have it and people come over to get that WW2 SP itch. :D
Unless they're a little bit older and still burned out by all of the WWII games years ago like myself. I could go a lifetime and never touch another damn early war FPS lol christ they killed that era back then.

Edit: Or that's your jam and you love that stuff and could always play it... then more power to ya.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lame question but a honest one: what is Battle Royale? What kind of mode is that?

Before I explain everything, do you know about the japanese Battle Royale movie, or Minecraft Hunger Games, or Hunger Games in general, or H1Z1, or ARMA Battle Royale, or Fortnite BR or PUBG?

Battle Royale means that 100 players fight until one wins, no respawns, and you need to loot everything, no pre-equipped gear.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
It always surprises me how unoriginal these major third party publishers / developers are. PUBG, as an indie game, really transformed the market. Same thing happened with Minecraft. Rocket League, although less influential as PUBG and Minecraft, was also a huge success on all platforms.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The kids love battle royale, makes sense to follow with the BR sensation.

And to be honest I still have no interest at all for it.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Battlefield suits it much more than CoD.

But knowing how slow DICE is to implement stuff (Incursions anyone?), I expect we may see the BR mode sometime in summer 2019.

Özgür

Nov 24, 2017
I think br games will "activate" the industry.
People are hungry for things that are new and exciting.
R6 siege is a good example too.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, why not. I seriously doubt the longevity of Battle Royale though, this is just companies desperately following trend and hoping they can score some easy money. They will btw, but I doubt it's a sustainable thing.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V team loves that Call of Duty may ditch its campaign

OH FUCK YES PLEASE. Please please please lose that campaign. What makes BF great isn't the linear highly scripted boring AF story, it's the multiplayer. Focus more on maps, balance, conquest/rush, and I guess battle Royale and the game will still sell great.

Edit: FUCK, I just read that their excited because now people who want that linear bombastic experience will buy Battlefield. Are you kidding me Dice? :(

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Well, good luck with that :) All those companies missed that train already. RTS, MMO, Dota, and now it's time for Battle Royale games. It seems publishers never learn from own mistakes.

Also, remember when EA tried to recreate CoD success by resurrecting MoH IP? Good times.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Destructible environments + lots of vehicle variety + gunplay that is actually good. Yeah, this can easily be the definitive Battle Royale game if done correctly. My biggest concern is performance since BF1 runs like garbage in the 64 player modes already on the base consoles. I have a feeling this will have to be locked at 30 frames and that's pretty much a nope from me.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I don't really follow shooters to much outside of maybe gears once in a while but it seems like everyone is just making a BR type of shooter this year, cashing in on the crazy.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Thanks for the title update mods!
Edit: FUCK, I just read that their excited because now people who want that linear bombastic experience will buy Battlefield. Are you kidding me Dice? :(
Well it's thanks to that confirmation of single player staying that I'm buying Battlefield V while not giving Black Ops IIII any of my money for ditching it.

So I'm happy here!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really into the idea of CoD or BF having a Battle Royale mode but I'm all in if Halo 6 has one. I feel like Halo has the better tools and whatnot to easily implement it without taking too many resources, and you could do some pretty cool things with the map.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Unless they're a little bit older and still burned out by all of the WWII games years ago like myself. I could go a lifetime and never touch another damn early war FPS lol christ they killed that era back then.

Edit: Or that's your jam and you love that stuff and could always play it... then more power to ya.
How can you still be burned out from WW2 games? It's been forever since a AAA WW2 game.