• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
oh boy, last year i didnt buy my mp shooter fix (besides destiny which didnt do it for me and stopped playing somewhat early in its life) but sounds like this year could be the greatest year for me pertaining mp shooters

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yea it's good news for some people. But let's be honest here, the main reason people buy BF is for their multiplayer. I waited until BF1 was on sale because I didn't want to pay full price for a game with a terrible campaign and only 10 multiplayer maps. I'll wait until BFV is on sale before I buy that one as well.
No I definitely bought Battlefield 1 for the campaign lol. I've only played two multiplayer matches to date haha!

Let's hope that with all of this information, they will also drop the Season Pass stuff.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested in a permadeath war mode on a large map from BatteField. 50 v 50 with each side broken into squadrons that have different objectives to achieve to win the battle (e.g. defend/attack and take over building, Blow up train, etc.). I'm not so interested in EA copying the BR formula used in PUBG & Fortnite (e.g. random circles, redzones, air drop from plane, etc.). I never was a big fan of conquest mode. Those matches always felt like a disorganized mess.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Lol at "would losing SP really be a loss"
*looks at TitanFall & Battlefront I & all other FPS shooters that launch without a campaign*

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also not a total jankfest. ugly as sin, and is a technical marvel graphics wise...oh and destruction. Games like Fornite is already stealing customers from PUBG....as soon as a real good developer comes then PUBG is gonna end up like DAYZ or H1Z1
it's not going to be CoD or BF1, i can tell you that.
Fortnite also didn't do much to steal customers from PUBG if you actually bother to look at the concurrent player numbers.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif
Holy shit, perfect first post. Well done man!

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, of course. Everyone and it's mother is BR now.

I hope is the new Guitar Hero.

Guitar Hero was an evolutionary dead end though, whereas I think there's a lot of potential for this style of game to do something more interesting. Okay, we're at the stage where simply emulating PUBG without the jank is enough to be successful, but as the market becomes more competitive, I think we're going to see some cool mechanics. I mean Fortnite has the most rudimentary building system that was only there as a holdover from the original tower defence concept, but it completely defines how the game is played.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder what these big AAA modes will do to the Battle Royale genre. I can see Battlefield doing some fun destruction stuff.

Also I wonder who will create a Battle Royale game that doesn't have a boring ass middle game of walking in zigzags for 5-10 minutes.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I don't get some of the posts in this thread and other threads regarding the Battle Royale mode.

People acting like the next BF gonna be exclusively a BR game... It's just an OPTIONAL mode. What's wrong with a new mode that can be completely ignored?

Also, all the screaming of COPYCAT! COPYCAT! Like 99% of the games everyone likes are copycat cat genres that have been refined with their unique take on said genre.

Some people are weird.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking that either Battlefield or COD will have a free to play battle royale mode

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turrican IV: Morgul's Battle Royale
Be part of a boring and uninterresting 100 multiplayer F2P.

Features :
- Soundtrack not by Chris Huelsbeck.
- Level design not by Manfred Trenz.
- Game not by Factor 5.
- Aliens and robots replaced by deformed humans from the Universal Soldier rippoff.

Preorder now the Founder Pack to get uncertain content that may or may no be released in time because the game will launch in XTREME Early Access !!1!

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Well.. BF definitely seemed like the one game that was ripe for BR given the mass scale of it already. Makes a lot of sense imo, a hell of a lot more than CoD does at least.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Battlefield having the same appeal to the mass audience as a COD BR. Regardless, I still think that Ubisoft will be the studio to dominate that market as soon as they launch their BR game (most probably for the next Division)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No I definitely bought Battlefield 1 for the campaign lol. I've only played two multiplayer matches to date haha!

Let's hope that with all of this information, they will also drop the Season Pass stuff.

Lol, I didn't word my post right my bad.

What I meant to say was the majority of gamers who buy Battlefield buy it for the multiplayer. That's what the series is famous for. It's great you enjoyed the campaign. I really wish DICE would just let us buy the game in separate parts. Something like $40 for the multiplayer and $20 for the campaign. I understand why they don't do that and why they'll never do that, but it would be nice.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Guitar Hero was an evolutionary dead end though, whereas I think there's a lot of potential for this style of game to do something more interesting. Okay, we're at the stage where simply emulating PUBG without the jank is enough to be successful, but as the market becomes more competitive, I think we're going to see some cool mechanics. I mean Fortnite has the most rudimentary building system that was only there as a holdover from the original tower defence concept, but it completely defines how the game is played.

Granted. It's quite possible that it can evolve and be cool. I'm just already tired of this incoming trend of making everything like this

Remember how every game wanted to be like CoD and be the CoD killer? Now even CoD wants to be BR lol

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Just saying, how does a BR with armored vehicles (boats, tanks, IFVs, planes, helicopters) would work in a BR. I can understand motorcycles or jeeps in a BR.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we really consider what we got in BF1 a campaign? Sure there were set pieces. But it was more like a Vignette. Honestly at that point I'd probably just rather have them work on more content for the MP. I just don't really care for half assed SP, and I care about SP/Co-op alot.
I don't see Battlefield having the same appeal to the mass audience as a COD BR. Regardless, I still think that Ubisoft will be the studio to dominate that market as soon as they launch their BR game (most probably for the next Division)

Honestly I'm not sure how CoD will pull it off properly. They don't have very expansive maps, their combat isn't designed for it. It's mainly about being fast and frenetic. Which BF can be, but also afford more movement/positioning etc. But then again I also don't really like Fortnites scale and implementation either so, what do I know. Hopefully they at least have weapon customization pickups, and it helps they're both in first person. I guess Fortnite tried to get around that with weapon rarity or whatever, but thats pretty meh in my eyes.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
It wouldn't work if BF is only doing a solo player BR mode. I could see it working with large teams though.

Then they would probably have to do BR with the 4 classes (Assault, Medic, Engineer, Support, Recon), while having some loadout when spawning in. If you're starting the BR match with nothing and the group gets meh loot, you kinda get boned if you having nothing to defend against an armored vehicle.

Realistically, BR in BF would probably wouldn't be that reliant on finding loot, outside of special weapons and stuff.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what the fuck people want from Battlefield's SP. I absolutely think that the war stories are the way to go and the Tank/Flyboy ones were great

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at "would losing SP really be a loss"
*looks at TitanFall & Battlefront I & all other FPS shooters that launch without a campaign*

I think the big difference here is:

1.) Brand Name
2.) Content

Let's look at Battlefield. The series has a huge brand name and is popular amongst PC and console gamers. The first game came out almost two decades ago. Gamers know what to expect with Battlefield, large scale infantry and vehicle warfare. The campaign was a recent addition, and has been met with so-so results (Bad Company campaign had favorable reviews, BF3 and BF4 were very bad, BF 1 so-so).

Lets look at content. What did Titanfall launch with? At what price? It launched with 15 maps, at $60. When you have games like Black Ops II that deliver a full campaign mode, launch with 15 maps, zombie mode, etc. So in that respect if your launching Titanfall at $60 and trying to compete with it, you need to do something else. You can include a full campaign, or launch at a price point like $40.

Battlefront was similar. The game wasn't really fleshed out, some modes were just terrible, etc. it didn't feel like we should pay $60 for it judging by the competition.

And with Battlefield, look at the quality of BF3, 4, and BF1s campaign. It's just not that good imo. So when someone says "would losing SP really be a loss", eh, losing a mediocre campaign wouldn't be a big loss. But if you can invest those resources into making more maps, I'd say its worth it.

BF1 launched with 9 maps and a campaign at $60. If they took out SP and launched BFV with 9 maps I would have a problem with it. If they took out SP and launched with 16/18 maps, I'd be pleased.

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope the campaign will be better than what we got in Battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront II... Imo Battlefield: Hardline still has the best campaign, funny and entertaining, such an underrated game.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I don't get the battle royale hate (or whatever you may call it). It's just a neat concept for an additional multiplayer game-mode. It fits in many shooters so devs will put it in their games.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I meant. It's a "me too" attitude that waters down creative control. When did anyone ever play Battlefield or CoD and think to themselves "this needs a battle royale mode"?
What MP game doesn't try to include a mode that got popular from another MP game?

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
Fuck me the AAA industry is insufferably lazy these days.
Adding a new mode that an unprecedented number of people love to play is a no brainer, and it's at least more interesting than just the same recycled modes we've seen in sequel after sequel the past decade. And to be fair creating an entirely original concept for a multiplayer shooter in 2018 that needs to make AAA profit is a pretty difficult task, that's probably why we're seeing a trend born from an indie developer and the modding scene.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Then they would probably have to do BR with the 4 classes (Assault, Medic, Engineer, Support, Recon), while having some loadout when spawning in. If you're starting the BR match with nothing and the group gets meh loot, you kinda get boned if you having nothing to defend against an armored vehicle.

Realistically, BR in BF would probably wouldn't be that reliant on finding loot, outside of special weapons and stuff.
Yeah, that makes the most sense. Dropping soldiers from an airplane without a weapon just seems silly for the setting that the game is in.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Zombies never left CoD, for one example
Fair. But as other have said this makes the most sense for BF to do this considering they're all about big maps. Not to mention PUBG is vulnerable on console and can easily be dethroned by a AAA dev that has the resources to provide updates at a fast rate.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
They need to make a campaign that isn't god-awful horrific before they start celebrating that Call of Duty doesn't have one. The difference between Battlefield's and Call of Duty's campaigns are night and day. But still, good for them.