• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the situation around the Battle Royale mode is similar to what we see when new unknown apps get a lot of success by introducing a single unique feature, e.g. Snapchat. In the end large existing players in the market will be able to copy that single feature, but will be able to just add this to their existing product features and combine it with all the learning they already done. Therefore transforming what once was the total product into a feature of an other existing product.

Only those startups that will have build a brand strong enough will normally survive this wave, and personally I don't think PUBG has an unique enough brand/image to do so, while Fortnite with its less realistic approach is certainly different from all other modern shooters.

PUBG does have 40 million users though that are already invested with time, money and psychologically, so for a large part it will come down to what extent PUBG will keep those players interested and will be able to surpass their expectations, at least to the point that they won't feel compelled to try out the other options.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why there's so much snark about copycatting and such. It's a game mode. Devs want to include game modes people want to play.

Did this nonsense happen when whichever game popularised domination/conquest?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How does any era Battle Royale make sense at all? The only one that makes sense is The Culling, as it's a Hunger Games-esque game show on TV where contestants are in for the money. It's not like PUBG or Fortnite have a deep lore that gives the game mode a particular reason. Call Of Duty could go reasonably close to a sense with Black Ops IIII - keep ind mind Black Ops III's multiplayer was a virtual simulation to train soldiers, so an all out war to train soldiers to adapt to ever changing conditions would make a lot more sense.

No lore is easier than "a huge historical context". I really want a frostbite engine BR. But WW2 will be incredibly jarring a setting. What would you do? 100 Japanese soldiers on an island fight it out with each other for survival? Eat each other to survive? Or the last 100 Nazis in Berlin battle it out to be the one to hold up the white flag to the Russians?

Its not a setting I want to see BR in. Just because its too jarring. I realise this will seem silly to some, but its just how I feel about it.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I welcome the era where battle royale is just an ordinary multiplayer mode like CTF or team deathmatch.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the games where they should straight up dump the campaign side. They only got lucky twice the rest have been garbage.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Kudos First poster, I just spat coffee out any my desk is a mess.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None of these comparisons make sense.
2 of them are mods turned into separate games. They never had campaigns. & overwatch is a hero shooter & never had a campaign in its series that was later removed. It's no surprise nobody can bring up a game that ditched its career mode from its series and was a success. Heck you guys you've named R6: Siege but that game was barebones on launch too lol

I didnt mean games that had SP and lost it. I meant MP games that are popular without SP.
If they see fit to remove SP then maybe it was not worth having? BF SP never was worth having imo, waste of resources.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Battle Royal seems like such a step down from what BF offers. As long as it doesn't take away from other modes I don't mind another option.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
BF battle royale would be awesome tbh.

But I thought BF has this mode already.
Isn't it FFA or am I thinking of COD?

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
So are they going to bump the player count for 50v50 matches as well? That would be nice if the maps can handle it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singleplayer, the foundation stone of the Battlefield franchise.
There's a reason every Battlefield game for the past decade or so has featured a campaign. In fact, in a few years there will be way more Battlefield games with campaigns than not. Singleplayer is a foundational pillar of Battlefield at this point.

Hardline's was exceptionally good. Visceral did a great job there.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
BF battle royale would be awesome tbh.

But I thought BF has this mode already.
Isn't it FFA or am I thinking of COD?

Nearly every MP game has FFA and that is very different than BR.

I'd say the closest game modes to BR would be Last man standing type modes, where you only have one life, no respwaning. Or sneaking in MGO2 where it was pretty much a mini BR mode with one life and the play zone getting smaller and smaller as time passes. Although everyone had the same gear and stealth.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Battlefield will be the go to fps this holiday if cod skips out on the campaign this might be battlefields year. They should take full advantage of the screw up.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad this is the case but are DICE really known for delivering quality single player FPS campaigns? The last one I could remember of note was Battlefield Bad Company 2 back in 2010. I think the loss of COD campaign is a much bigger hit than the loss of a Battlefield campaign honestly.

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Nintendo in their weird way should make a Battle Royale Hide N Seek game. Sort of how Splatoon is their weird shooter.

But man for real everything is becoming BR? That sucks. I get that if the mode is popular it should be included, but this sounds more like a shift to that. Just like how SP shifter to MP so that CoD doesn't even have one anymore.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Battlefield having the same appeal to the mass audience as a COD BR. Regardless, I still think that Ubisoft will be the studio to dominate that market as soon as they launch their BR game (most probably for the next Division)
The Division already has a BR type mode with its Survival mode. It's probably said to assume that'll return in some form in the sequel.

-----------------------

Battlefield is the major multiplayer shooter already on the market that is close enough to already containing the scale of players and maps that I was surprised they didn't use Battlefield 1 to push out a BR mode in the last year. So, that said I'm not surprised at all they are doing one for BF 2018.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Why all this attention and money now and not when Day Z and H1N1 came out?

can't speak for H1Z1, but H1Z1 exists because of a similar response to Day Z going Early Access. It didn't do nearly as well from a sales standpoint as PUBG did, however, there was a similar response by other devs to cash in on the success Day Z saw initially.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can live without the campaign. In fact, I'd take three more multiplayer maps than a single player campaign.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
For the next E3 conference all of the EA execs will skydive out of a plane and land on stage

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Don't care for battle royale, I'll stick to Operations and Conquest. Honestly hope the BR mode empties and flops instead of splitting up the playerbase even more.

Nice to know we'll still get a campaign though because even if I think the stories are dumb as shit, there's a certain level of... "wow factor" that comes along with these.

Nov 12, 2017
I wonder what kind of sacrifices they'll make to get the player count up to 100 in BR mode. Get rid of destruction physics perhaps?

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Battlefield gunplay in a Battle Royale game. They should just release the mode as a free to play standalone game and they would crush PUBG into hell.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Wow Battlefield gunplay in a Battle Royale game. They should just release the mode as a free to play standalone game and they would crush PUBG into hell.

If BF still had the shooting models they used in older BF's, maybe.

The super arcadey, low recoil shooting they have now is way more suited to compete with fortnite than PUBG.

At least BF still has physics on their bullets.

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If BF still had the shooting models they used in older BF's, maybe.

The super arcadey, low recoil shooting they have now is way more suited to compete with fortnite than PUBG.

At least BF still has physics on their bullets.
Honestly they just need to take Battlefield 4 and make a battle royale. It was a lot of fun and would be good for battle royale. Whether its arcadey or not.