• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Sorry, the title should say "BF1-esque" campaign. My phone autocorrected.

There's more at the link: https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/05/battlefield-v-details-campaign-co-op-and-more/

A few notes:
- The campaign will be set up like BF1 following various soldiers in mini-campaigns.
- There's co-op on the game, and at least one version of it includes randomly generated Conquest missions. Not quite sure I'm picturing how that is supposed to work, at least in an enjoyable way, but we'll see.
- You go prone on your back like Rainbow 6 Siege.
- Battlefield V's lootboxes exist, are definitely cosmetic only, and sound like they will contain more types of cosmetics than just gun skins. There will be lots and lots of messaging about how they are only cosmetic.
- There's a few more things at the link.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
blog-2.gif

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
You don't always go prone on your back though. It's dependent on where there's room for your legs...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The co-op sounds interesting. It sounds like it could be similar to Bad Company 1's more open-ended campaign structure.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming like Battlefront 2, any maps will be free?
EA has publically stated they want to give out all gameplay content and maps for free in their fiscal calls since it keeps the community together when defending their microtransaction and lootbox direction, and asserted they're sticking with it due to that despite the Battlefront controversy.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
EA has publically stated they want to give out all gameplay content and maps for free in their fiscal calls since it keeps the community together when defending their microtransaction and lootbox direction, and asserted they're sticking with it due to that despite the Battlefront controversy.

Ah I missed that before, nice :)

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, nothing here particularly interesting for me. Lootboxes are a shitty thing even if just cosmetic.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's good news for prone I guess. Though the only time I'm really ever prone in Battlefield is when I'm sniping, and I can't see sniping on my backside as being beneficial. It's only beneficial when you're trying to put as much room between you and your opponent as possible in an enclosed space.

It's absolutely an improvement over how most other FPS games do prone, but I see it as being more useful in CoD or something more tight quarters.

Eh, nothing here particularly interesting for me. Lootboxes are a shitty thing even if just cosmetic.
The game likely won't have a season pass though.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect them to drop Premium, and Battlefront 2's post-release content has been absolutely laughable.

I don't want Premium, I want free maps and a united playerbase, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
EA noted that Battlefront 2 will be getting patches at least every two weeks and much more substantial monthly content once the new progression system goes live, but that they pivoted a ton of staff over to that first.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
This could easily be one of the best years for gaming in a long time with this, RDR 2, Spider-Man, God of War, Sea of Thieves, Far Cry 5, State of Decay 2, and whatever the hell else lies in store.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course the single player will be shit again. Why can't they just focus on one dude/group of guys?

Last good single player dice made was BC2

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested in seeing Siege's left/right leaning adapted in other shooters, but prone kinda looks cool I guess, can't deny that, still not something that'll drastically change the experience for the better.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah and anti-premium people are in for a rude awakening, same thing happened with people who screamed about Titanfall 1's season pass, most of them ended up complaining about the free new maps in Titanfall 2 being fewer than TF1's DLCs lol.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Of course the single player will be shit again. Why can't they just focus on one dude/group of guys?

Last good single player dice made was BC2
They clearly don't want to dedicate the resources to a significant campaign, which would be (imo) required for any half-decent progression in a story focusing on one person.
Instead they focus on many smaller varied missions, that allow them to change up gameplay and give different perspectives. I agree with that direction to be honest. A short bad story focused on one person is worse than many stories, focused on showing different perspectives imo. It'll still be short though, and rightly criticised for it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Oh yeah and anti-premium people are in for a rude awakening, same thing happened with people who screamed about Titanfall 1's season pass, most of them ended up complaining about the free new maps in Titanfall 2 being fewer than TF1's DLCs lol.
Made even more painful by the fact that the majority of them were just TF1 remakes.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4 all had better gunplay than BF1.

BF1 isn't bad, but it can feel weird and a little weighty. Like they took BF4's shooting, added a dash of Killzone, and a sprinkle of COD.

Eh, BF1 has a much more refined and "less clunky" system than all of these games. Player movement is much better than in previous BF titles - impacting the gunplay.

I'm a bit at odds at the Killzone influence. Just don't see it on console, or PC. It feels great - nice and responsive.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made even more painful by the fact that the majority of them were just TF1 remakes.
Yeah, and to be honest I didn't mind that considering that a lot of Titanfall 2's base game maps were laughably bad, which got me thinking now that you're mentioning it, I wonder if DICE/EA are planning to pull the same thing with Battlefield V's free maps, they could make a good amount of them remakes of Battlefield 1's.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Yeah, and to be honest I didn't mind that considering that a lot of Titanfall 2's base game maps were laughably bad, which got me thinking now that you're mentioning it, I wonder if DICE/EA are planning to pull the same thing with Battlefield V's free maps, they could make a good amount of them remakes of Battlefield 1's.
I think we're at least due for a Wake Island 2018.

Actually, if this is WWII as rumored, give me remakes of most of 1942's maps please.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
back1.JPG

back2.JPG

fulton.JPG

Back prone should technically give your gun a better range of motion, but it's going to be interesing seeing massive WW2-era rifles fired from that position.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I know this is lost on most modern devs, but If they actually want to make a good campaign they need to focus on interesting and varied MISSION DESIGN... forget about all this over emotional. melodramatic Hollywood 'story' bullshit.

Someone needs to take these devs and lock them in a room with some Hidden & Dangerous 2 until they learn what a good campaign for a military shooter looks like.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4 all had better gunplay than BF1.

BF1 isn't bad, but it can feel weird and a little weighty. Like they took BF4's shooting, added a dash of Killzone, and a sprinkle of COD.
I'm a lifetime BF player and a good one at that, I can tell you BF1 gunplay is one of the best ones (even better since the latest update).

I've gone back to BFBC2 and it hasn't aged that well

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
BF1 campaign was quite bad but at least they managed to recycle some of the maps for MP so I guess it saved some money for them. It's not easy to pull off 30 to 60 minute short stories in an fps game, probably harder than to make a normal campaign. Actually Battlefront 2 tried to insert some short stories into the campaign and it was bad as well so either way it's probably going to be mediocre. BC2 campaign was the peak for the series (campaign-wise) and it's been downhill since. Not that the peak was particularly high but I enjoyed it. They have all the tools and pieces for an epic campaign if only they could pull it off.

At least it doesn't seem to affect the multiplayer side of things too much. I just don't like this "make every AAA game the full package" we are seeing these days. Five half-assed modes is so much worse than one with full focus (regardless of whether you split them to different teams) but the former brings in the money so here we are, campaign, MP, co-op, zombies, horde mode for every game. Probably add battle royale to that list soon enough.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the gunplay isn't as wonky as BF1.

I wouldn't say wonky but the game is heavily weighted towards autos which get more accurate the longer they fire. There was definitely more variation in gunplay in previous BF games and yes they did take more skill to play so I would be all for a return to that.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I hated the mini campaigns in BF1 so hopefully they will be better in this one. I didn't like all the stealth segments.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say wonky but the game is heavily weighted towards autos which get more accurate the longer they fire. There was definitely more variation in gunplay in previous BF games and yes they did take more skill to play so I would be all for a return to that.
BF1 has some skill level required just to be a medic (ignoring its automatic variants). I use plenty of semi auto, and trust me, the skill level is the same as the ones back then (even higher). Now, I can't say BF1 is a perfect game, it has plenty of issues, but to say is wonky or easier is ludicrous.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Every BF release I pray I can buy Battlefield without that bullshit single player campaign. Literally just give me the option to buy the multiplayer and expansion pack for like $80 or some shit.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
At this point it just feels like wasted resources adding a single player mode.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So is it confirmed that it's not BFBC3 ?
Sigh ! We're never getting that one are we?

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
I don't see how you can sell a lot of cosmetics with skins in a WW2 style game. There's not a lot of room for creativity if they want to be historically faithful. It's why games like Overwatch and Fortnite, and Smite can sell a ton on cosmetics for their artstyle and arcadey nature allows for alot more creativity.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't see how you can sell a lot of cosmetics with skins in a WW2 style game. There's not a lot of room for creativity if they want to be historically faithful. It's why games like Overwatch and Fortnite, and Smite can sell a ton on cosmetics for their artstyle and arcadey nature allows for alot more creativity.

Dont remind me. As a HUGE battlefield fan, ill definitely be waiting for reviews on this one. I just dont trust them anymore after i saw battlefront2 (or battlefront1 for that matter). I fully expect some forced loot boxes that go further than they do in BF4 or 1.