• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

According to this a lead developer from blizz posted some info about what morale is like at blizzard hq about world of warcrafts future.

Sounds like the mass exodus from wow to final fantasy XIV has a lot of people worried. The state of the game is in shambles and people REALLY hate the narrative in the games story. Sylvannas's whole arc really pissed off core Wow players.

Also people are really upset about the quality of voice acting lately. Seems they will be considering their hires much more critically now.

As a whole they are wondering if its time for Wow to be sunset and move on to the next big thing.

FFXIV is really hurting WoW in general. And now with this mass exodus morale at blizz is very low.

The entire twitter thread is also worth reading on how we got here.

I didnt know about this guys history. I guess this thread can be closed.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given the differences in the receptions to the stories, yea, I can see them being worried

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't doubt Blizzard is worried, but we need something better than a 4chan post.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
this is LARP but as much of a weirdo Grummz is he's spot on about AAA C-suite attitudes towards monetization and game dev.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe don't link Gamergate turds like Kern just because it might fit whatever story you want at the moment.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
WoW expansion releases will always be huge but they need to get content out faster, that is the biggest issue IMO.

It took like 6 months after launch for the first big content patch. Should be closer to 3. Of course it's hard to know if it would be feasible just by hiring more devs but I think it would keep the players who log in for every expansion launch invested longer if they always had something to look forward to right around the corner.

WoW won't be dead for a long while but there are way too long droughts in there.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Could we not post Mark Kern tweets here

Dude is a gamergater, has a strong anti-Blizzard bias because he was fired from there, and there's plenty of stories of him being grossly incompetent while he was CEO of the company that made Firefall.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
I definitely believe anything Mark Kern says, because he certainly doesn't have a bone to pick with Blizzard, nor is he a massive amplifier of the worst inaccurate bullshit.

(But yeah, Blizzard should be worried about FFXIV.)

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I don't know if a guy with a huge axe to grind with Blizzard is super reliable for this kind of thing. I'm sure Blizzard keeps tabs on what happens with FFXIV, but you don't need Mark Kern to tell you that, he's just going to inject a bunch of incendiary shit into the situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn, from 4chan via Mark Kern. Must be legit.

It's way too early to be making claims like this. The Sylvanas stuff and the FFXIV boom literally just happened. They're likely monitoring things but no one is making any decisions about anything just yet.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
fuck 4chan, but I mean, they'll obviously be cautious of it's popularity

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm sure they are worried and I myself a WoW fanatic is even playing FF 14 at the moment but all it would take is Blizzard to actually do what players want and I and many would be right back. Technically I'm still playing WoW more than FF but I would go back to it being the only MMO I play if they stopped fucking up.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Don't think that's a credible source... but anyway, the game is almost 17 years old, even without FFXIV it's way past the time to make a new game.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It's a 4chan leak. Are we going to post MCU leaks from 4chan next, because I hear RDJ/Tony Stark is coming back soon.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The thing stopping Blizzard from doing another MMO was that it would only be cannibalizing their own players from WOW.

Maybe now well actually get a new MMO and they can let WOW sunset.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
IP0PThX.png

New news new thread?!?!?!?

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Absolutely savage that Square Enix have called the latest expansion End Walker as a dig at WoW.

The WoW killer of prophecy has arrived.

I really haven't read that whole thing. But Endwalker isn't a dig at WoW at all. The main narrative arc of FFXIV is ending with Endwalker. And then there's another reason why the Warrior of Light "walks the End".

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't FFXIV named in a recent WoW survey? I mean, it's quite obvious they would be "worried" if their numbers are in a decline yet FFXIV appears to be at the highest point it's ever been. You don't even need to read a 4chan post to add anything to that. MMOs are a unique breed in that very few people play more than one at a given time, so competitors are a big deal.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think Blizzard is probably looking at it, but I wouldnt take anything Mark Kern says or posts at face value.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I, Agni Kai, hereby declare WoW is finally on its deathbed. Move on, people. Join us in FF14 and we will show you the light.

Anyway, Blizzard is probably looking at this. The FF14 boom just happened.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard has no one to blame but themselves. The WoW team doesn't listen to the player base and the game has been consistently on a down trend since Wrath, if we're being honest (I did like Legion). Square-Enix just delivers a more consistent product and the FFXIV community is a million times better than the Warcraft one.

I logged in to XIV last night, since we get a free 14 days of play, and the hype is real, I had been unsubbed a few months so I was shocked to see just how packed the servers are now. I don't know how many of these new players are fleeing World of Warcraft but there's definitely a spike in population.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
incredibly fake and also get a life if you're reading stuff from mark kern. your involvement in both communities is suspect at best if you would actually repost this, because it's literally someone on 4chan complaining about "sjws" ruining wow.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't really believe this specifically but I imagine they do talk about FF14 specifically over at Blizzard. Like I imagine they aren't too keen on losing even say 500k players to FF14. 14 keeps growing and WoW, well doesnt.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
4chan.

I mean this is believable, but it's 4chan and basically a total coin toss if it's true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.