• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My coworker showed me his 40 dollar raspberry pi playing some game I can remember on the highest settings using Azure cloud servers to stream from. Really fucking cool stuff. Had a the power of a $3000 dollar computer in his raspberry pi

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
A price point like that would mean me buying it just because why not.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
They really don't give up about cloud tech don't they?

Oh my god, this is such a ignorant post.

WHY ON EARTH would a company give up on cloud tech?

It's the future. Get on with the times.

--

Let's talk about the post itself:

The idea of two instances of the game running at the same time, one locally and another on the data center, is very intriguing. We need to see how much this local hardware will cost, to see if it'll be worth.

As the article points out, Microsoft has data centers all around the world, which makes it a lot easier. Personally, I'm very close to an Azure data center, and I get around 5-10ms latency to it, which would be incredible for such a device.

I'm excited. Let's see how it turns out.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
yes No mistakes this time

and two device , one traditional and powerful ($500) and the seconed is streaming and low price ($100 to $150) Is the best they can offer to the market

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that bought an OnLive and actually relied on it for PC Gaming for awhile (was traveling for work) I've always been about the cloud gaming future.

Here's hoping their product works well!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's pretty much how these things should go. I wonder if a portable version of the streaming one is realistic at some point in the future considering in needs to be online to use. I

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Microsoft has a presence in pretty much every country in the world, they should have enough servers to make it possible for most people (or at least more than Nintendo and Sony).

If anyone has the global infrastructure to take that leap it's them (or Google).

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
Streaming will still be garbage. I don't see this being a game changer. They best make sure the traditional box is top notch tech wise.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They really don't give up about cloud tech don't they?

Cloud computing is the future, regardless of how people here might feel about it. Yes it has to get better, but it doesn't get better unless companies like MS and Sony put in the groundwork now and go through all of the bumps and obstacles. You don't just wake up one day in the future and have seamless, flawless cloud gaming.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The Cloud Box will cost around 99-125$, it'll feature a hard drive that will deal with all the collisions and input informations in order to reduce any latency, MS really thinks that they have it figured out with that hard drive collecting those infos.

A hard drive dealing with collision detection is... an interesting approach..

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like BS considering how they talked about streaming on all platforms, no matter what devices you have, at E3. A dedicated device just to stream Xbox games would be bundled Kinect levels of stupidity. You don't need to solve latency, in fact you simply can't get it down to traditional console levels. No matter what hardware you put in, the main problem will always be latency from the server to your device via your internet.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I knew it would be a streaming box and console. $99.
Watch how the XBO will be able to do the streaming as well.
$99 - Xbox Scarlett Cloud
$199 - Xbox One S
$299 - Xbox One X
$399 - Xbox Scarlett Console

GamePass will be the sub in order to stream.
Multiplayer will be free.
Yeah, no. Too much money from those subscriptions.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have absolutely no idea how local collision detection could possibly work when streaming the main game logic. Ill have to read up on how they have implemented this.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
For those people bashing a cloud console, pump your breaks a little. There will be a traditional console too.

Good on MS for keeping up the mantra of giving your customers options into the next generation.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'd be down for a cloud-box.

Cheap way to play some Xbox games I've missed out on over the years (Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon!).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not to rain on their parade, but I hope Microsoft is going to put a lot of money into government lobbying, because without Net Neutrality, data caps are likely to get worse than better and that will render cloud gaming DOA.

The sad, cynical future I envision with this isn't MS or Sony lobbying the government, it's MS and Sony partnering with internet providers to incentivize users to buy their box/games. Get ready for "sign up with Xfinity and your PlayStation Now game streaming doesn't count against your data cap!*"

*only applies during the hours of 11pm to 5 am Monday through Friday"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. One detail that seems interesting to me.

He says that MS would require devs to make a streaming and a native version of games, not just one.

I wonder what that means for BC. I would have guessed that BC would be a lock for a next traditional Xbox system, but maybe BC will extend to the streaming box? I guess the streaming box could be powerful enough to run Xbox One games natively, or perhaps BC would be included with the streaming solution. Or perhaps the requirement to be supported on both boxes wouldn't extend to BC stuff.

BC would be pretty important, since it feeds into game pass/gwg etc pretty well.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That moment when you've almost beaten a dark souls boss on he 10th attempt but there is a lag spike :P

I will remain sceptical about whether we are ready for this or not but very interested to see how they are planning to work around the latency issues from a technical perspective.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
If I take a second and think about it more. IF and I mean IF the steaming box does anything close to the performance of the traditional box and works on shit internet (I travel a lot, so hotel internet for me). And every game I buy is playable on both consoles with cloud saves meaning I can leave home on a trip and just plug in my steaming box at the hotel and pick up where I left off....now THAT might be interesting to me.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
I'm not personally interested in a streaming device at all .. however, I am more concerned over the impact that its production and elements would have on the Next Xbox. Will they dedicate more effort, time etc .. even the new game studios .. to just streaming items for Scarlet? Obviously not - but to what extent? For me the news is more worrisome around the Next XBOX Hardware, and what it will be, and what support it would get down the line - I want them to get more competitive, not less because they shift their focus to streaming.

Hope I'm wrong - but time will tell.

edit i got the names backwards - scarlet is the HW, unnamed is the streaming device

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
Sounds great so far. My only concern is how MS will handle the Net Neutrality problems if ISPs begin to throttle speeds, pay for speed lanes ect. Im hoping they have at least a disc drive just incase.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would ever want compromise on latency in any way. Game streaming is so intensely unappealing specifically for that reason. Then add in bandwith caps, throttling, no net neutrality, the generally poor infrastructure of the US.

Yeah, no thanks.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
The question is of course how they intend to fund the servers for online? Will this make all games require XBLG?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
If they're going to try the streaming route I'd be interested to know why I need to buy any new hardware at all - other than for the purposes of selling a new box for the sake of selling something.

Like why wouldn't this just be an app for the existing Xbox One that opens up all the existing owners to the next generation of Xbox games. I can't imagine what secret sauce hardware they'd be putting in this $100 box to solve the latency issue which the existing Xbox wouldn't already be capable of doing.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If they actually manages to make this work then this could be huge. 99 for a new gen console at launch is a dream for all companies and MS might just have that. The only problem is will people be able to buy any game they want and play it for free after that, and will this restrict the streaming service from going into other devices (like mobile) since it's not just streaming?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Since I don't have to worry about bandwidth/data caps, I'd be interested in a $99 streaming box.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. In theory, wouldn't the Xbox One family of devices be able to use the streaming service as well? Unless there is some sort of hardware optimization, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Not to rain on their parade, but I hope Microsoft is going to put a lot of money into government lobbying, because without Net Neutrality, data caps are likely to get worse than better and that will render cloud gaming DOA.

They solve for that in the near term by having a local box capable of playing everything.

Hamstringing the development of streaming services because of the current state of ISPs and Net Neutrality would be short sighted for a company as large as Microsoft.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
lol tons of latency lol

Eeeeh, we're not there yet. Won't be for a long, long time.

For the mainstream audience, it's essentially there. Those people don't keep a CRT set up up to play Smash with zero latency. They play on TV's with horrible input lag and bad WiFi connections already. As long as it feels imperceptible to these people, the vast majority won't care. And MS is still releasing a high end piece of hardware for those who do.