• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Microsofts strategy can be described as 2 in 2 out
Scarlet2i2G2-large.jpg

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
If they can easily offload AI to the dedicated processor, due to integrated SDK and middleware support, to free to CPU resources then it'll be used as standard on XB ports for that use alone. But if it requires dedicated development time then indeed I can't see it being used outside of exclusives.

Not sure I can see a dedicated AI chip happening though, not many genre or games even require that level of sophisticated AI. Unless they have some other grand aspirations for it that we're not aware of.
At the end of their E3 presentation Spencer said they were working on "Microsoft IA", and insisted in a number of interviews that that was where they saw the most room for improvement in modern games. I think they clearly want to lead a revolution there.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Getting around 48ms on that (from work). My home connection would a lot faster I think.

Wait what, a dedicated AI chip? What did I miss in this thread? o.O
Yeah, about three pages ago, an insider hinted at it. It lines up with the Microsoft AI project they announced during their E3 presentation as well as how insistent they've been about AI being where they saw more room for improvement in games. It's intriguing to say the least.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
if it requires dedicated development time then indeed I can't see it being used outside of exclusives.

And that is the traditional pain point of Xbox. I can't see any developer making a game around a single hardware platform when they ship to many. This sort of thing will MS developed titles only and, well, they have three series as it stands.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I just wonder how much of the U.S. would be receptive to a streaming only console. How many hours of gaming could you realistically do a month if you were in an area that only offered data capped internet?

Nov 12, 2017
I don't deny that the store is a problem, but even if that gets fixed, you still have people on that "steam or die" culture.

Look XB1 was a bit of a disappointment to MS and that's okay, but if the XB2 connects with the public and Xbox PC doesn't, I would support them cutting their loses.
That "culture" is no where a meaningful problem ...is a subset of a niche of people that can't accept for no reason to have games on multiple services meanwhile they use multiple services and account for ... basically ...everything else
And still ..im not sure why people think that steam cover all the PC gamers family? It doesn't ..it's clear

If people accept (like it happen) to have money on multiple bank accounts ..is a giant stupid idea to think that they cannot accept multiple videogames stores and accounts

This IF ..(a big if) the w10 store get fixed

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Microsoft also said that the power of the cloud would make Crackdown 3 have massive fully destructible cities.
Did something change on that?

(I don't think they ever said "massive cities" by the way. The multiplayer will take place in an 100% destructible environment, but it's not a whole city and never was intended to be so. It's a part of a city while the focus is on tower building versus tower building and which team destroys the opponents building first.)

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. How did you steer the conversation from Scarlet to Crackdown and it's release date? off-topic much?

The idea of "hybrid cloud streaming" is very much based on an underlying false premise, just like Microsoft's power of the cloud promise.

It will fail because a more expensive hybrid client will offer no tangible benefits over a much cheaper traditional thin streaming client. We're rapidly approaching the moment when EA, Ubisoft and other third parties will all be offering streamed versions of their big games on any phone, tablet, or smart TV device completely bypassing Xbox and PlayStation. Microsoft wants to railroad developers into being dependent on their proprietary solution (and server infrastructure) to delay this.

Game streaming - something Nvidia and Sony have been doing for years - has nothing to do with 'the power of the cloud'. or Crackdown 3.

Game streaming is by definition powered by the cloud. Microsoft trying to promote an overly complex solution that doesn't actually solve any problems is highly relevant to both situations.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of "hybrid cloud streaming" is very much based on an underlying false premise, just like Microsoft's power of the cloud promise.

It will fail because a more expensive hybrid client will offer no tangible benefits over a much cheaper traditional thin streaming client. We're rapidly approaching the moment when EA, Ubisoft and other third parties will all be offering streamed versions of their big games on any phone, tablet, or smart TV device completely bypassing Xbox and PlayStation. Microsoft wants to railroad developers into being dependent on their proprietary solution (and server infrastructure) to delay this.

Game streaming is by definition powered by the cloud. Microsoft trying to promote an overly complex solution that doesn't actually solve any problems is highly relevant to both situations.
Lol. What is this? So much bias, drivel and a lot of nothing in just one comment, most of what you've posted aren't even based on fact cos you have no idea what MS streaming tech is like. It's all what you probably hope would happen..have they announced it? do you know how they plan to roll it out or how they plan to work with developers? No... and it seems you always defend that poster. That comment was clearly offtopic and thread derailing. MS future game streaming tech and the cloudgine tech used in Crackdown will be doing two very different things also nothing has been said about crackdown's mp cloud-based destruction being removed from the game but how does that even concern this topic? other users gave you examples with Sonys Ps now and Nvidia streaming tech but you still found a way to downplay it cos it's MS. Lol. MS owns Azure shouldn't they leverage their own solution?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Unfortunately for you and your agenda, Microsoft hasn't announced any hybrid cloud streaming. The ONLY thing they've been on record saying is that they are planning to stream games to end users to allow your games to be accessible on multiple platforms.

As at today, cloud game streaming is a tech that is very much in use and has been shown to work reasonably well by the likes of Sony and Nvidia. So it's not smoke and mirrors.

The last tech related promise MS made was to make a 6TF console that'd allow devs to hit native 4k gaming for AAA games. They delivered.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately for you and your agenda, Microsoft hasn't announced any hybrid cloud streaming. The ONLY thing they've been on record saying is that they are planning to stream games to end users to allow your games to be accessible on multiple platforms.

Why did you come into a rumor thread explicitly about a hybrid streaming solution supposedly in development for Xbox just to play "officially announced" police?

Lol. What is this? So much bias, drivel and a lot of nothing in just one comment, most of what you've posted aren't even based on fact cos you have no idea what MS streaming tech is like. It's all what you probably hope would happen..have they announced it? do you know how they plan to roll it out or how they plan to work with developers? No... and it seems you always defend that poster. That comment was clearly offtopic and thread derailing. MS future game streaming tech and the cloudgine tech used in Crackdown will be doing two very different things also nothing has been said about crackdown's mp cloud-based destruction being removed from the game but how does that even concern this topic? other users gave you examples with Sonys Ps now and Nvidia streaming tech but you still found a way to downplay it cos it's MS. Lol. MS owns Azure shouldn't they leverage their own solution?

If you can't understand the conversation it's okay not to post in the thread.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Why did you come into a rumor thread explicitly about a hybrid streaming solution supposedly in development for Xbox just to play "officially announced" police?

If you can't understand the conversation it's okay not to post in the thread.
Sorry to disappoint you but I do understand it maybe you should stop going off topic and defending those doing same.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So saw a survey that went out to gamers. Put the info into quotes below. basically just asked what sort of interest they would have and asked if upgradability of performance etc. would be something desired and how strongly. Now sure if this is related to Xbox but seems someone is busy.
Project X is an integrated entertainment device that combines Pay TV, high-end games and modern video apps (like YouTube and Netflix) on your TV. It works with a variety of sophisticated controllers, including game controllers, keyboards, gestures, cameras, and microphones. Finally, the device is designed to fit into modern homes without noisy fans, blinking lights, or visual branding.

The device has the following technical characteristics:

Connects to TV with HDMI

4K HDR video

Supports streaming TV apps like Hulu, Netflix, Twitch etc.

Runs PC games at 30-60 fps

500 GB HDD

8 GB DRAM

High resolution or film quality graphics (2 Teraflops GPU)

Upgradable / add-ons: microSD, graphics card for 4K gaming

Option to connect to wired or wireless networks. Built-in expandability for home control and wireless connection including microphone array and camera enabled for voice control, face recognition/sign-in, and smart home connectivity

Internal router (Wi-Fi mesh) peripheral to eliminate the need for a separate router and/or cable modem

Nearly noiseless

Approximate size of device = 20cm x 20cm x 6cm

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
So saw a survey that went out to gamers. Put the info into quotes below. basically just asked what sort of interest they would have and asked if upgradability of performance etc. would be something desired and how strongly. Now sure if this is related to Xbox but seems someone is busy.

2 TFLPs GPU?
Google streaming console.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Okay bumping this thread. with the announcement of xCloud.

Lets revisit the minimum connection speed issue again.

I've wondered about the whole "average internet capabilities" thing for a bit now. I took some time to research it the other day, and found that PSNow has the same recommended minimum speed as Netflix (5Mbps). I'd be surprised if Microsoft's minimum target was higher by 2020.

I highly doubt it would be that low. Here are the internet connection requirements for the GeForce Now streaming service.

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/geforce-now/system-requirements/2
Thanks for looking that up! I'm more inclined to believe that 4Mbps will still be the minimum, but I find the structure there to be interesting. I wonder if Microsoft would have similar "tiers" based on resolution/framerate.
I'll agree to disagree on the connection speed, but I sure hope they'll do better than 50Mbps for the top tier. Does GeForce Now have any local components to it, or is it entirely cloud based?
From the Wired article: https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-cloud-gaming-exclusive/
Choudhry and his gaming cloud colleagues bring out an early prototype of one of those server units to show me how it works. It's a "1u blade," containing the internal componentry of four separate Xbox One consoles—two facing up, two facing down, to maximize airflow—along with a row of cooling units, a power management board, and networking jacks. Whenever a gamer connects to the server, their account gets linked to one of the four Xbox-ish units in one of the blades in one of the racks in one of the Azure data centers that's as close as possible to the gamer's geographic location.
Now comes the tough part. First, the responsible Xbox-ish unit encodes a frame of the game that the user is playing, compressing it down and sending it over the network to the user's device.
Next, it sends any input from the user back from the device through the network—rationalizing it against any multiplayer activity that may be coming from other users' devices—then renders the next frame, calculating the physics and lighting and audio and any other dynamic system that might change as a result of users' actions. (How an object bounces, or what happens if the sun becomes visible through a window.) But: how do you do that as quickly as possible, with the highest quality possible, using as little internet bandwidth as possible?
That's where Microsoft Research comes in. The research group was instrumental in helping make the Xbox One backward-compatible; now, it's trying to make Project xCloud efficient enough to run on a 10 megabits-per-second internet connection, which means you'd be able to play using a 4G LTE connection in virtually every major market in the US. (A high-def Netflix video requires about 5 Mbps; Google's recently announced cloud-gaming project recommends 25.)

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay bumping this thread. with the announcement of xCloud.

Lets revisit the minimum connection speed issue again.

From the Wired article: https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-cloud-gaming-exclusive/

Well hot damn. Looks like we were both wrong about their targets. I'll be impressed if they can truly deliver on that 10Mbps promise. Especially when they also made mention of wanting to preserve "artistic visions" via graphical settings and framerates.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Well hot damn. Looks like we were both wrong about their targets. I'll be impressed if they can truly deliver on that 10Mbps promise. Especially when they also made mention of wanting to preserve "artistic visions" via graphical settings and framerates.

Indeed. I really do wonder what Microsoft will require / recommend, at the end of the day in terms of internet speeds.
I also wonder if high speed fiber connections are really going to be more widespread across the U.S. over the next 2 to 3 years.

Interesting.

Even if the public infrastructure or service itself isn't yet there (or ubiquitous), I feel confident that MS will be set the new gold standard for game streaming. Though that might just be blind faith.

I really hope so. I mean, I'd love to be able to play a high fidelity version of Cyberpunk 2077 with the Scarlett streaming console, over xCloud, and an Xbox controller. When I say high fidelity, I don't mean high resolution like 4K, but a graphically impressive / high graphical fidelity version of the game, where the graphics being streamed in are rendered on a Scarlett server, and better graphics than what an Xbox One X could do natively.

Mar 17, 2018
2020 is so much more sensible. I just cannot see the economics of doing a whole new system next year. It just seems too soon and confusing for people.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
2020 is so much more sensible. I just cannot see the economics of doing a whole new system next year. It just seems too soon and confusing for people.

2020 would be a bad decision as a launch date for the streaming service/box. That would cause actual confusion when launched next to Scarlett.

2019 however would be smart because as it looks Sony won't interfere, and it would be a completely optional addition to the Xbox family of devices that would still receive a lot of attention. If the technology is ready to go, MS would be insane not to launch it next year.

Mar 17, 2018
2020 would be a bad decision as a launch date for the streaming service/box. That would cause actual confusion when launched next to Scarlett.

2019 however would be smart because as it looks Sony won't interfere, and it would be a completely optional addition to the Xbox family of devices that would still receive a lot of attention. If the technology is ready to go, MS would be insane not to launch it next year.

Oh for sure with that, but it's not like a streaming box is suddenly going to make people buy 30m consoles lol. They need games. They need games ready to go for launch. No way in hell that happens next year.