• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Here are some new information about Microsoft's next gen approach coming from Brad Sams (well reputed MS journalist that knows a lot of MS insiders):

First, Microsoft is building a traditional console that you would expect from the Xbox brand. I think it's important to point this out so that those who prefer to have all their hardware locally, will have an option with the next generation Xbox.

As for specs for this device, that's still not known at this time as it's the early days of development for that piece of hardware. But what I am starting to hear more about is the second device, a streaming box that is designed to work with the company's upcoming game streaming platform.

Scarlett Cloud as one person called it, is the game streaming service that we have all been envisioning ever since Microsoft showed off a demo game streaming at its all-employee meeting back in 2013. But this time, Microsoft has a path to bring it to market.

The second 'console' that the company is working on is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming. But the catch here is that Microsoft thinks it has figured out how to handle the latency sensitive aspects of gaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform's reach.

The Xbox Scarlett family of devices will feature 2 devices: one classic console (like the Xbox One X for example) and a cloud gaming box.

Although their cloud gaming technology advancements can let them release the Xbox Scarlett Cloud sooner, Brad thinks that both devices will launch at the same time (2020).

The cloud version of Scarlett is further along in the development cycle than the traditional console that will also be released in 2020. This device does make me wonder if it has any relationship to the Xbox Hobart streaming device that was nearly released two years ago but was canceled late in the development cycle.

The Cloud Box will cost around 99-125$, it'll feature a hard drive that will deal with all the collisions and input informations in order to reduce latency, MS really thinks that they have it figured out with that hard drive collecting those infos.

All "Scarlett" (next gen games) will run both on the "Cloud Box" as well as on the Scarlett Console.

When it comes to games, all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward 'this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett'.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5s725FjRH0
https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/163896/details-microsofts-xbox-scarlett-game-streaming-service

Last edited:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
That's a potential game changer. So this makes me wonder, will it just be like a $499 box and the streaming box or will the actual console be more in line with an Xbox One S baseline price.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really don't give up about cloud tech don't they?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm no tech genius, but selling a box that does cloud computing, isnt that like a streaming device!?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems like a fascinating solution to the latency issue. I'm really curious to see if it works, because this sounds like something that could be awesome.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I'm personally not convinced streaming is a good idea when global Internet speeds are still substandard on average. This talk about reducing latency is nice but I doubt it will fix everything.,

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's a potential game changer. So this makes me wonder, will it just be like a $499 box and the streaming box or will the actual console be more in line with an Xbox One S baseline price.
Probably the main console will be $399, and the streaming box will be $99, if I had to guess based on past trends. I could definitely see it being $499, though.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jesus. $99 for a next gen console? Even if the quality isn't quite as good...I think people will look past some amount of latency at that price point...we'll see though, these could end up being $5 in a couple years time like the Steam Link.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! This seems like such an interesting idea. I said this in the next-gen console thread, but I have to wonder what tech they'll throw in the streaming box. I could definitely see the One S/One X being powerful enough to handle that local computing for streamed titles. Thus, making current-gen Xbox consoles forward compatible.

Pricing-wise, I could see the streaming device being between $150-$250. If they hit the higher end of that, I'd expect it to basically be a re-branded One S that may lack a disc drive.

Edit: I read the article but not the OP or the video. Missed the rumored pricing part that more or less rules out the streaming box being a One S. In that case, I absolutely agree with a structure that involves the "One" family still being around, while Scarlett covers the high and low price ranges.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
I'd at least try out cloud gaming at that price. Worst case scenario it'll be fine for stuff like Overcooked or Jackbox, which wouldn't be the worst way to lose out on a hundred bucks.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will the traditional console also stream games? Would there even be a point to it? Like a streaming service exclusive game.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of a streaming box? Can't it be just an app like Steam Link for Android TVs?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
A low powered device and a cloud steaming device?
I'm excited, but definitely worried at th same time, too.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I knew it would be a streaming box and console. $99.
Watch how the XBO will be able to do the streaming as well.
$99 - Xbox Scarlett Cloud
$199 - Xbox One S
$299 - Xbox One X
$399 - Xbox Scarlett Console

GamePass will be the sub in order to stream.
Multiplayer will be free.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Well shit.

Would be a huge generational leap, perhaps not in performance but in the way gaming is delivered in future if they can make it work.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
$99 for the console sounds good, but how much will the streaming cost? Will you still pay full price for games and have them in an account? Or will it be a game pass thing that opens up a library to you? Will third parties go for it?

With Azure backing it, I have no doubt they'll have the infrastructure for it, but I just need more details before I'm convinced

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So long as option are on offer i'm cool with this. Since I know in my area, game-streaming would never be a thing with my speeds. Unless I want to play at resolutions lower than what I am now, even with integrated tech to help.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to rain on their parade, but I hope Microsoft is going to put a lot of money into government lobbying, because without Net Neutrality, data caps are likely to get worse than better and that will render cloud gaming DOA.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Cloud gaming before 2030 won't be a success but I guess good on them for trying.

I hope my XOX will be able to run games from Scarlett.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If it's that cheap I'll buy it. Prepared to be a guinea pig.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I could swear we heard the same thing prior to every generation of console from Ms. I guess third time is the charm, eh.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Well how they will deal with internet connection latencies? I mean even if you do some sensitive process local you will still have the internet latencies to data reach the servers and get back to local.