• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Tez2 and Yan2295 are two former Rockstar Games insiders that tend to leak some details about the company's future or previous plans every now and then. In a recent comment by Tez2, he claimed that the pre-production phase for Grand Theft Auto VI started in 2015, and then slowed down in 2017 due to the big load of work that was required for Red Dead Redemption 2 and Bully 2. However, the team somehow decides to cancel Bully 2 and share the focus on Grand Theft Auto VI and Red Dead Redemption 2 one year prior to its launch in 2018. It's worth noting that Yan2295 confirmed Tez2's claim in a comment on Reddit.

If it turns out to be true, it's sad that Bully 2 has been sacrificed for working on two giant projects. Apparently, the game had been canceled in 2009 and 2013 as well, due to similar problems.

www.dualshockers.com

Bully 2 Was Apparently Canceled in 2017 to Focus on Red Dead Redemption 2 and Grand Theft Auto VI

Some new rumors suggest that Rockstar Games has canceled Bully 2 for the third time in 2017 to focus on other heavy projects.

I never finished Bully 1 and I am glad they canned it. I wouldnt mind a sensitive and thoughtfull game with great story and characters in middle school, bud let Rockstar make gotys instead.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
a shame...
but then again if you put bully 2 and gta 6 infront of me, itd be gta 6 every time

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Honestly, why would they need a Bully game in the first place?

If anything they should try delve into the RPG genre with a massive open world game, GTA VI is enough for "urban setting"

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
They are just going to make GTA and RDR for the rest of time. There's really no incentive for them to make anything else when those games sell a bajillion copies and generate endless money with online modes

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just make GTA VI, no one seriously cares about other Rockstar IPs and they are worse anyway.

:-)

OP
OP
fanboy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Shame about the Agent. I would like to see them try something new as well. But if they want to make more GTA and RDR, there is simply not enough room for smaller titles.

Why do they need to cancel vs just put on the side?

they would probably face the same challenge after finishing RDR 2 anyway – finish GTA V and pre production for next big title.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes yet another GTA. A game about a bad person doing bad thing while driving around. Certainly haven't had enough of those to justify something different on occasion.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I liked when Rockstar made more varied things, but the reality of how they make games means they have to be behind one thing at a time to get it done.

It sucks.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I just hope they didn't cancelled it outright. Seeing what they've done with GTA5, I can say I'm not that keen on playing a GTA6.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to see a Bully 2 but I'm not sure how the game can be updated for today's gaming generation and what type of gameplay would work.

If the game leans hard into being a love letter to '80s John Hughes movies and coming of age stories, it may not do as well. Then again, that may be what we need.

Oct 25, 2017
Management will always sideline a million dollar game for a billion dollar game. Problem is if GTA becomes the only thing the studio does what does that mean for the creativity of the studio.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even sure Bully 2 really fits Rockstar anymore, they have narrowed their focus towards GTA/Red Dead style open world games.

I don't think Bully has the marketability or the suitability to be translated into their modern style of game. Their games take so long to make I doubt they can justify giving an IP like Bully a truly modern sequel without it massively impacting production of their AAA IPs.

I hope they can find a way to make it happen but I doubt it. The Rockstar that gave us Table Tennis and Bully doesn't exist anymore.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucked up, but big games are all they've been about now for the better part of a decade. I'll miss their smaller games.

What happened to that medieval game rumor?

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
Damn. I would take Bully 2 over GTAVI any day

Bully is [for me] the best game Rockstar has put out

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a real shame if they spend the next 30 years just alternating between GTA and Red Dead. They have other IPs going unused, and I'd love to see what they could do with other genres and smaller projects. Like...Rockstar Table Tennis was a great game...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They are just going to make GTA and RDR for the rest of time. There's really no incentive for them to make anything else when those games sell a bajillion copies and generate endless money with online modes

It'll be a real shame if they spend the next 30 years just alternating between GTA and Red Dead. They have other IPs going unused, and I'd love to see what they could do with other genres and smaller projects. Like...Rockstar Table Tennis was a great game...

Based on their current mismanagement - a studio of their size only managing one new game per generation is heavily mismanaged - the next time the decision will fall between Red Dead Redemption 3 and Grand Theft Auto VII, and we won't have to worry about them alternating. Red Dead will be gone.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Bully is such a good game/ip, but I get why they prioritize GTA and RDR since those two games drag in mountains of money and I don't think Bully was all that popular.

Shame that Bully keeps being put on the back burner, but that's just how it is.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
The sequel to Bully should focus on a grown up Jimmy who is now a secret agent.

tinyrakan

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
I'm just shocked how many people want New GTA
Imo GTA formula is very outdated..
Guy steeling cars killing people lmafo

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Based on their current mismanagement - a studio of their size only managing one new game per generation is heavily mismanaged - the next time the decision will fall between Red Dead Redemption 3 and Grand Theft Auto VII, and we won't have to worry about them alternating. Red Dead will be gone.

Era's continued ignorance towards the existance of GTAO and to a lesser extent RDO is amusing.
GTAO is one of the most actively updated and maintained online games out there. The amount of content it has is astounding. It also isn't magically developing itself.

May 19, 2020
Era's continued ignorance towards the existance of GTAO and to a lesser extent RDO is amusing.
GTAO is one of the most actively updated and maintained online games out there. The amount of content it has is astounding. It also isn't magically developing itself.
there is a vocal contingent of people who pretend that Rockstar content only exists when it's single player. i'm not much of a GTAO player but the support must be amazing if you are.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I'm still holding out hope for Bully 2, just not Bully 2 online with all the predatory monetization stuff that seems to be a Rockstar staple for multiplayer modes.

May 17, 2018

Not only that, but, imagine only having to make one new game last gen because your game from 2013 is *still* one of the top selling games every year, and people still call it "mismanagement."

Like, it's actually managed so well that they really didn't even need to make RDR2.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The more people that could forget that shitty predatory money-pit exists, the better

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Bully was in high school?

regardless a major bummer and I don't see any reason why they had to cancel it rather than delay it. A bully 2 in 2019-21 while we wait on GTA6 would've been good for their bottom line and gamers even if it only sold 2-5-10M copies.

especially now there Are a lot of stories they could tell in that setting