• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
No Bulma? Shame
Time for Annin to shine
QHiXlSl_d.jpg

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Well, sad, but it didn't make much sense.

Bulma over the few girls who actually did throw a punch/kick in the manga?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Chi-Chi using Goku's Nimbus and Power Pole along with his moves from DB would be better I feel. A nice amalgam of Goku's classic moves from way back when.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Bulma could be neat in theory, but while there isn't a ton of female characters in the series, there are already some available that actually are on the level or stronger than the roster we have right now. They should focus on adding them first. I personally don't want to see any Yajirobe / Mr. Satan tier chars in the game at all even as DLC unless they are random assists like Chiaotzu. I know Super isn't as popular as Z, but right now its producing the most female fighters the Dragon Ball series has seen and I'd be down to see more of em!

That being said, if there was any regular person that could create a device to harm someone that could become a god, it would be Bulma. She made a time machine lol.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It looks like it was a mistake, and they go further to say she isn't even playable at all:
https://twitter.com/Rhymestyle/status/925184581241774080

wdyb.gif

I really wanted Bulma, then this has to happen? It doesn't look like this guy has too much pull, but I can believe it. They got my hopes up for a fun character, but now we're going to get Broly or Bardock or Kid Buu or some other boring fighter...

This honestly just hurt my hype for the game a little. I was hoping they'd go crazy for the 4 Base Roster characters we didn't already have a strong idea about.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of her using capsules to fight, but really what I'd love to see is Launch.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
No? Because Dragon Ball has a problem with diversity when it comes to combat and she has enough scrap together something fun and unique?

except there are literal other women fighters (if that's the diversity you're complaining about) that have yet to be included in the roster hence "why bother with a non-combat character"

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Honestly, if they can come up with unique cool movesets for them, why the hell not? We've seen weirder in fighting games.
Obviously they should prioritize getting more popular characters in first, and Bulma's definitely popular and the only female character that's been there the whole time.

because she even as a "joke character" or w/e else ppl are describing her as wouldn't at all fit in with the theme of the game. what would that move set be? just her throwing capsules with every button? what's the point

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
In the first place, complete non-fighters as playable characters are not uncommon in fighting games. Bulma is the very first face you see when you start reading the series, even before Goku; if any non-fighter deserves a spot, it's her.

i didn't say it wasn't uncommon, my point is in *this* fighting game it would make no sense. Even Launch would've made more sense considering she actually did something combat related

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i didn't say it wasn't uncommon, my point is in *this* fighting game it would make no sense. Even Launch would've made more sense considering she actually did something combat related
Honestly, I don't see why a non-combatant becoming a playable character makes less sense in this game in particular compared to when it happens in other fighting games.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least this ended with them straight up saying she ain't playable, confirmation's cool in a sense. :P

CUD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt she is playable. Probably some kind of assist attack for Vegeta, like a "you hit my Bulma!" power up moment.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Bulma won't be playable considering how closely they're sticking to the source material. They would need to take a lot of liberties on that one.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
A shame. While Roll isn't a fighter either she still had multi appearances in Capcom's VS series.
For story they could have s few of those clones attack her home but have be ready with a mecha she built using tech learned from Geero and Wheelo.
Even when it comes to Arc themselves they had a Celica, a character who can't fight, be playable in BlazBlue by giving her a robot maid guardian.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it was a mistake, and they go further to say she isn't even playable at all:
https://twitter.com/Rhymestyle/status/925184581241774080

No offense to Rhymestyle, but I would like a transcript of the email before I believe they told him she definitely won't be in. So far the only character confirmed 100% to not be in the game is Tao Pai Pai. I find it odd they'd not only confirm a second character is out, but do so via an email chain with Rhymestyle.

I watched Rhymestyle's last video on the DLC stuff and he made some wild claims about the game, so forgive me if I'm not down to just take his word for it. I don't doubt Bandai Namco confirmed the error, I simply doubt they confirmed Bulma is 100% out.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's not a fighter and is not going to be playable.

Let it go.

I don't think she's going to be in but her not being a fighter doesn't matter.

Arc has made plenty of crazy fighters and previous Dragon Ball games have made Bulma and characters like her playable.

Why is non fighters being playable such a hang up for some people?

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
This whole "she's not a fighter" excuse strikes me as disingenuous at best. It's a game. They could make Farmer with a shotgun a top tier character if they felt like it.

In any case, now that it's been confirmed to be a mistake I guess the point is moot.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Arc has made plenty of crazy fighters and previous Dragon Ball games have made Bulma and characters like her playable.

which dragon ball games are you talking about?

Dragon ball evolution? Now that's a game that follows the source material.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The dream for females is dead...
Besides Android 21, there's always DLC for the more recent DBS females from the other universes.

This whole "she's not a fighter" excuse strikes me as disingenuous at best. It's a game. They could make Farmer with a shotgun a top tier character if they felt like it.

In any case, now that it's been confirmed to be a mistake I guess the point is moot.
I think the concern is mainly on how closely ASW is sticking with the anime & manga in terms of referencing DBZ & DBS.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
which dragon ball games are you talking about?

Dragon ball evolution? Now that's a game that follows the source material.

True probably not the best representation.

Still we've had things like Super Dragon Ball Z's take on Chi-Chi to show that you can do more then just what's in the show but still be faithful.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
ASW is sticking to the anime/manga.. they said so since day one yet people keep dreaming about bulma in a mech nonsense along with Chi-Chi.. just stop torturing yourselves lol.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Monthly reminder that Bulma is a fucking savage

97316540fb04a138825c70e53d789af5.jpg

episode 1, hits a kid with a car, then shoots him in the face

we need her

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ASW is sticking to the anime/manga.. they said so since day one yet people keep dreaming about bulma in a mech nonsense along with Chi-Chi.. just stop torturing yourselves lol.

Do you have a quote for this? While there clearly being faithful I don't see why they can't get creative with certain characters later down the line.

It's not like there isn't precedence for it. See the Persona Arena games.

I don't see why this needs to be a die hard rule.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Because there are plenty of actual fighting characters that have yet to appear and giving a slot to a non fighter over them is ridiculous. Making Bulma a fighter is the sort of desperate move that happens only after all other sources have been exhausted. There are other female characters that actually have fighting ability they could use long before having to slum it like that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I know this may not be a popular opinion but I want this game to be about fighters.

Which means actual good fighters with nice movesets and not joke characters or weak characters.

If you want female characters, there's some to find like Caulifla or even Zangya.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

That's because we're not sure to get that much FighterZ goodness. A Dragonball game looking and playing as good might be an exception. So it's a shame that something that looks so good wont be about over the top looking fights and roster.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Both of those characters are fighters and neither of them have joke movesets.