• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Do you have a quote for this? While there clearly being faithful I don't see why they can't get creative with certain characters later down the line.

It's not like there isn't precedence for it. See the Persona Arena games.

I don't see why this needs to be a die hard rule.
I would have to look up but Hiroki has been clear from the get go, that they are staying close to the source material. The problem is many people are viewing this from a budokai perspective with all the quirky characters which ain't happening.

Mr Satan in a jet pack? Nah that ain't happening.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Good. I know this may not be a popular opinion but I want this game to be about fighters.

Which means actual good fighters with nice movesets and not joke characters or weak characters.

If you want female characters, there's some to find like Caulifla or even Zangya.
We already got Yamcha mang...and Boo has a super that turns you into a biscuit.

ArcSys are good with making characters that utilize gimmicks and tools in their moveset like Faust and Testament.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
We already got Yamcha mang...and Boo has a super that turns you into a biscuit.

ArcSys are good with making characters that utilize gimmicks and tools in their moveset like Faust and Testament.

Yup, as I replied to Crazy Izanagi, I'm already disappointed by the presence of Yamcha. The problem isnt about Arc Sys being able to make nice gimmick fighters. The problem is this should feel like the all and in dragon ball fighting game, in my opinion, which means over the top fighting and dream like roster. I know it's not a popular opinion but still.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have to look up but Hiroki has been clear from the get go, that they are staying close to the source material. The problem is many people think are viewing this from a budokai perspective with all the quirky characters which ain't happening.

Mr Satan in a jet pack? Nah that ain't happening.

Meh that just strikes me as a waist. After seeing them be so creative with move sets in their other fighter it would be a shame to me for them to limit themselves like that.

I realize I'm obviously going to differ with some people but I'd like to see them do a few crazy move sets like Junpei or Teddie.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yup, as I replied to Crazy Izanagi, I'm already disappointed by the presence of Yamcha. The problem isnt about Arc Sys being able to make nice gimmick fighters. The problem is this should feel like the all and in dragon ball fighting game, in my opinion, which means over the top fighting and dream like roster. I know it's not a popular opinion but still.
...but Yamcha being able to kick SSB Goku and Vegeta's ass is as over the top as it gets ;)

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True probably not the best representation.

Still we've had things like Super Dragon Ball Z's take on Chi-Chi to show that you can do more then just what's in the show but still be faithful.
Chi-Chi in super dragon ball z is far from what I'd call faithful. They took a lot of liberties with her moveset.

The thing is, DBFZ is going to have a very small roster for a dbz game. About 25 or so characters on day 1.

That means that some popular characters are going to be missing.
Broly, Hit, Beerus, Raditz, Goku Black, Adult Gohan, Videl, Hercule, Android 17, Master Roshi, Janemba, Bojack, Bardock, Android 13, Garlic Jr, Kid Buu, Super Buu, Dodoria, Cooler, Zarbon, Dabura, Gotenks, Gogeta, Vegito, Goten and Trunks to name a few. Many of these characters won't be in the day 1 roster or even in the dlc.

And you're asking for one of them to give their place to Bulma. A character that has never fought in the entire series. That doesn't know martial arts, doesn't know how to fly or know how to produce ki blasts.

All because she's female. Literally for no other reason. You want her in, at the expense of fan favorites, because she's female. Don't tell me it's because of what she does in the source material because, again, she doesn't fight. She doesn't do anything other than being a plot device that gets the fighters to where they need to be next. That's it. That's her job in the entire series. She's there as the owner of the dragon radar who goes along for the ride and as the scientist who creates the next machine that the fighters need to go back to the past or namek.

But I guess I just have a different mentality than many resetera members when it comes to dragon ball.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
All this hate for Lord Yamcha.

Bandai Namco and Arcsys know whats up.

Lord Yamcha maybe a joke in most peoples eyes but he is a force to be reckoned wtih.

Wolf Fang Fist too strong.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ASW is sticking to the anime/manga.. they said so since day one yet people keep dreaming about bulma in a mech nonsense along with Chi-Chi.. just stop torturing yourselves lol.
Yeah. They are sticking closely to the source. No original nonsense.

Btw, in which episode this Android 21 girl appeared? I can't quite remember... Must be in the same episode Android 18 used 17's energy barrier.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bulma using capsules would be cool - I can imagine them making a really out there, technical fighter with a glass jaw but a ton of options.

I'd be into it.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Btw, in which episode this Android 21 girl appeared? I can't quite remember... Must be in the same episode Android 18 used 17's energy barrier.
If you trying to be cheeky about that, it's very easy android 21 is a new character introduced for the game so have the liberty to do what they want (it's a new story too). Listen, I get the disappointment that some may have.. but y'all should start getting prepared.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Android 21 is a new character made for the game. So far, she's not confirmed as a playable character. Even if she were confirmed as a playable character, she's a blank slate. They can do whatever they want with her moveset.

...but Yamcha being able to kick SSB Goku and Vegeta's ass is as over the top as it gets ;)
Yamcha is a fighter though. If we're talking about him not being able to stand up to SSB Goku or Vegeta, we might as well not put anyone other than them, Beerus and Hit.

Yamcha has a full moveset that ASW can draw inspiration from. Bulma shot a kid once.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a popular opinion because there's always weird canon power matchups in tons and tons of fighting games. It comes with the genre.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This is my personal opinion on the matter, in order for a dragon ball character to be considered they should have the following requirements:
1) Fly
2) Ki
3) beams

Which Yamcha does all three, the power discussion is nonsense but characters need to be able to perform basic requirements for inclusion.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is my personal opinion on the matter, in order for a dragon ball character to be considered they should have the following requirements:
1) Fly
2) Ki
3) beams

Which Yamcha does all three, the power discussion is nonsense but characters need to be able to perform basic requirements for inclusion.

As I said, it's my opinion, I'm not making it as some rule, rest assured :p
And then again as I said, at least Yamcha's roster seems decent and neat. But Nappa ? This just feel like a waste of slot on a game where making a character takes time and roster has a limit.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So 18 using moves that she doesn't have is not relevant but Bulma doing it would be weird (although both kinda make sense in-universe). Ok.

Anyway I just want more girls in the game, I don't care if ASW take some liberties for this to happen.

I also know it won't happen but it's fun to especulate

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, for real?
I was not expecting her (did anyone at all?) and it would be by far the best "joke"-character I could dream of (except maybe Launch. Arale would be neat, but at this point too predictable as a Joke-character).
It's true that she's not a martial artist at all, but I actually don't see difficulties in her moveset. I bet she will incorporate many of her inventions and ArcSystem might get granted to go all out with her and give her DBFZ-exclusive inventions so she has more up to her sleeve. Remember how producer Tomoko Hiroki said that some characters are more made as a Support character to make up for the canon power-gap from each character? Bulma perfectly fits that bill and her attacks might be more defensive/supportive. And Jaco and her sister might also play a big role in her potential moveset.

And now I can't wait for the first trailer. I don't really mind other popular characters not getting in or reserved as DLC since many were playable in some form in the other fighting games. We already a playable Broly, Gotenks or whatever in some form, we never had a playable Bulma EVER. So yeah, screw the popular choices, I'm ready for Bulma!

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Nappa is a waste of slot, but the blue haired saiyans aren't when you already have the blonde versions. Ok.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Wow, for real?
I was not expecting her (did anyone at all?) and it would be by far the best "joke"-character I could dream of (except maybe Launch. Arale would be neat, but at this point too predictable as a Joke-character).
It's true that she's not a martial artist at all, but I actually don't see difficulties in her moveset. I bet she will incorporate many of her inventions and ArcSystem might get granted to go all out with her and give her DBFZ-exclusive inventions so she has more up to her sleeve. Remember how producer Tomoko Hiroki said that some characters are more made as a Support character to make up for the canon power-gap from each character? Bulma perfectly fits that bill and her attacks might be more defensive/supportive. And Jaco and her sister might also play a big role in her potential moveset.

And now I can't wait for the first trailer. I don't really mind other popular characters not getting in or reserved as DLC since many were playable in some form in the other fighting games. We already a playable Broly, Gotenks or whatever in some form, we never had a playable Bulma EVER. So yeah, screw the popular choices, I'm ready for Bulma!

I think the best possible outcome in regards to your comment "Remember how producer Tomoko Hiroki said that some characters are more made as a Support character to make up for the canon power-gap" is Videl. Her moveset would have saiyaman incorporated.

Chi Chi can use kaio-ken right?

Dark pls.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chi-Chi in super dragon ball z is far from what I'd call faithful. They took a lot of liberties with her moveset.

The thing is, DBFZ is going to have a very small roster for a dbz game. About 25 or so characters on day 1.

Broly, Hit, Beerus, Raditz, Goku Black, Adult Gohan, Videl, Hercule, Android 17, Master Roshi, Janemba, Bojack, Bardock, Android 13, Garlic Jr, Kid Buu, Super Buu, Dodoria, Cooler, Zarbon, Dabura, Gotenks, Gogeta, Vegito, Goten and Trunks to name a few. Many of these characters won't be in the day 1 roster or even in the dlc.

And you're asking for one of them to give their place to Bulma. A character that has never fought in the entire series. That doesn't know martial arts, doesn't know how to fly or know how to produce ki blasts.

All because she's female. Literally for no other reason. You want her in, at the expense of fan favorites, because she's female. Don't tell me it's because of what she does in the source material because, again, she doesn't fight. She doesn't do anything other than being a plot device that gets the fighters to where they need to be next. That's it. That's her job in the entire series. She's there as the owner of the dragon radar who goes along for the ride and as the scientist who creates the next machine that the fighters need to go back to the past or namek.

But I guess I just have a different mentality than many resetera members when it comes to dragon ball.

I just got back from work so I'm in no condition for a long debate but this is such a disservice to Bulma it's not even funny.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nappa's a waste of a slot. ;D

Wow, for real?

Huh, she isn't in lol

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is just a game, the developer should be free to have some creative freedom in the characters power. Bulma can fight with capsules, machines, summon robots, guns. Hell in GT, her super duper computer laser helped turning Vegeta SSJ4. Fuck just make Bulma build an iron man suit and fight in it.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People wanting Yamcha to be excluded from the game are simply astounding to me. He's one of the oldest characters in the series and has a ton of fights (by Dragon Ball standards, lol). I guess it just hows how many people didn't experience the first half of Dragon Ball and only jumped on at Raditz.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, she isn't in lol
...I know? I mean, I'm fully aware it's a rumor.

Regarding Yamcha and Nappa, I'm glad they're in. I was actually worried that ArcSys would make Yamcha into a joke-character thanks to the "Yamcha's dead"-meme. But thankdfully, he looks great.

Nappa was a legit surprise for me. I thought that ArcSys would have go for Radditz, if they wanted to represent the Saiyan Arc. But I'll take Nappa too!

kegkilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're spot on here, there's no reason to include as a fighter someone who has never fought once in 500+ episodes of Dragonball source material. The line of thinking that she should be included has zero logical basis.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, not completely. I agree with Crazy Izanagi that your post is doing a pretty big disservice to Bulma as a character. She's not a fighter, but she isn't a throwaway character who's only importance is the dragon radar and the ship to Namek. The series would go completely sideways for the heroes at multiple points without her around.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Should have been Chi-Chi.

Super Dragon Ball Z for PS2 had a cool version of her.

chichi-spdbz.jpg

I'd take both, plus Videl.

It's a good occasion to create a female super saiyan exclusive to the game.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not completely. I agree with Crazy Izanagi that your post is doing a pretty big disservice to Bulma as a character. She's not a fighter, but she isn't a throwaway character who's only importance is the dragon radar and the ship to Namek. The series would go completely sideways for the heroes at multiple points without her around.
I didn't say she is a throwaway character. I said she is a plot device. She's integral to the story but she's not a character that participates in fights. Arcs happen and move forward because of her presence but she doesn't fight at any point in the entire series.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017

Nice generalization there, friend. I would want her in because she is, by far, the single most prominent female character in the entire franchise since its inception and I'd argue that after so many games have come and gone she's finally due some representation in the series she helped popularize. But apparently even that is too much to ask for some because of "muh serious fighterz only" or something, in a game where Yamcha and Nappa can beat the shit out of SSB Goku and Golden Frieza. Some fans, man.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice generalization there, friend. I would want her in because she is, by far, the single most prominent female character in the entire franchise since its inception and I'd argue that after so many games have come and gone she's finally due some representation in the series she helped popularize. But apparently even that is too much to ask for some because of "muh serious fighterz only" or something, in a game where Yamcha and Nappa can beat the shit out of SSB Goku and Golden Frieza. Some fans, man.
Yamcha and Nappa, *gasps* fight. Bulma, doesn't.

It's in the name: Dragon Ball FIGHTERZ

You are correct when you say she IS the most prominent female character. It bears no relevance as to why she should be included in the roster of a fighting game though.
Because, and I get they idea that I'm going around in circles here, SHE IS NOT A FIGHTER.

You wanting Bulma to be a playable character in a fighting game when she hasn't participated in a fight or know anything whatsoever about martial arts or ki mastery, does scream that you want her because she's female. Because try as you might, you're not going to get me to believe that you want her playable for what she doesn't do in the entire source material.

A dragon ball fighting game is the wrong place for you to ask for female representation. Her representation in fighting games perfectly encapsulates the source material. She's there helping you get to fights.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
*sees rumor was confirmed false*

Can't say I was shocked about that... Again, nothing wrong with Bulma being added, but if the idea of DBFZ from what we can see is that it is more than just another "Dragon Ball" fighting game if each move that a fighter does is a reference to something either in the mangas, animes or even the movies. Nothing wrong with Bulma being added, but if anything else, it is a shame that we never really saw her in actual fights (or at least trying to defend herself just long enough for Goku to save her).

That said though... We still don't know about 21 being playable or not either, and that one is still up in the air...

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really shocked that this was fake. The fact that Buu was misspelled and the nature of the source made me suspect this whole blurb was written by an intern or something like that and didn't come directly from the developers

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Yamcha and Nappa, *gasps* fight. Bulma, doesn't.

It's in the name: Dragon Ball FIGHTERZ

You are correct when you say she IS the most prominent female character. It bears no relevance as to why she should be included in the roster of a fighting game though.
Because, and I get they idea that I'm going around in circles here, SHE IS NOT A FIGHTER.

You wanting Bulma to be a playable character in a fighting game when she hasn't participated in a fight or know anything whatsoever about martial arts or ki mastery, does scream that you want her because she's female. Because try as you might, you're not going to get me to believe that you want her playable for what she doesn't do in the entire source material.

A dragon ball fighting game is the wrong place for you to ask for female representation. Her representation in fighting games perfectly encapsulates the source material. She's there helping you get to fights.
I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree since we do seem to just be going in circles. And as I said, the point is moot anyway given that the rumor has been debunked already. Though I still fail to see how the concept of wanting to see more females represented in a Dragon Ball game is apparently so alien and unbecoming.

At this point the best I can hope for is that they'll consider adding her as a DLC character down the line and that you hopefully won't be aghast at the concept. :P

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You say that like people wouldn't also want other random characters. Like, Pilaf or Oolong or Boss Rabbit. Dragon Ball is full of weird, goofy, unorthodox characters, and Arc System Works has a long history of fighters with cool, outside-the-box movesets.

We've had literal decades of DBZ fighters full of guys with ki blasts and martial arts. Is it really incomprehensible that people would be interested in a unique choice?

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
What if it's the Bulma from U6's resurrected Earth and she's a wicked fighter? Would you people who are weirdly pissed still be pissed then?