• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This very thread is the reason why. Things just don't simply scale by turning down resolution a notch. They will have to build their games around a slow HDD and a terrible CPU among all the other outdated hardware.

You might never get a game that runs terrible from MS first party but that will because they made probably significant cuts and sacrifices on game design and gameplay in order for the game to run on the Xbox one as well.

We will never know what those games could have been and what we are missing out on it's as simple as that because just lowering resolution is not a solution.

Then why waste time even worrying about it in the first place?

and this thread is based on some rumour, nothing official at all.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When you're a PC player and don't have to worry about current gen consoles performance when the game drops.

tenor.gif
To a degree you're not wrong and forwards compatibility as well as backwards compatibility is a major strength of PC alongside so much more. But the reality is most gaming PC's out there are not really that powerful so if we look at it in terms of aiming for the middle ground it doesn't change that much. This is why honestly there will always be a place for consoles, or at least set configuration systems en masse.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The Schreier of Poland!?

If that's the case, then the rumor is probably true, but I'm not sure the world can handle the degree of self-importance that comes with two JS's in existence.

Oct 27, 2017
How much shit would they get if they just cancelled current gen version and launched day one on next gen? This is looking like a Watch Dogs PS3/360/WiiU situation imo.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
And people say that the strategy of having to support a current gen console for the next 2 years won't hurt games.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
How much shit would they get if they just cancelled current gen version and launched day one on next gen? This is looking like a Watch Dogs PS3/360/WiiU situation imo.
Resetera would understand and maybe even say it was a good choice. Most other gamers would be less forgiving, but it'd mostly be an overreaction that blew over in a little while. The difficulty with that option isn't that they'd get shit on the internet though, the difficulty with that option is how it would impact their sales.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't really be surprised if most of this year's major releases are rough on base consoles. Devs wanting to push the pro models after a few years of those, plus thinking about forward compatibility features for inevitable next gen versions of these games probably result in a lot of places where games just aren't going to be great on the base hardware. I'm sure they'll get it to playable, it's too big a project to push it to next gen entirely, but I would not be surprised if it ends up as a very compromised playable.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Developers have gotten a lot out of current-gen hardware, especially those Jaguar cores. It seems pretty clear to me there's nothing left to tap.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go tell people that keep saying it's due to CPU.

Yep. Most games developed for PS4/XB1 as a base are GPU limited in a lot of cases. Anyone who thinks developers don't work around the limited CPU compute in current gen consoles from a games conception are being silly.

The reason they're having issues with XB1 in particular is that it's GPU is much weaker than PS4's. I'm sure it will be fine with much more time to optimise.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is a thing that fast RAM and SSDs can fix. Problem is, you have to make the game exclusively for platforms with them, because it would break down with a mechanical HDD and slower/less efficient RAM.
And that's what I'm lowkey expecting them to do, but the question is if they can. They promised it for PS4 didn't they?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it works like that, unfortunately.

If the versions are too different you're going to end up doubling your work load. Especially post release patches. I expect NPC behaviour to be identical across all versions.
All the more reason to nuke the PS4 and Xbox One versions. Shitty CPUs shouldnt drag down cyberpunk.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats the reason im waiting for the next gen port/patch. I want to get as great of an experience as i possibly can on a console with this game

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
So glad I built a PC for this game. Though I may need a 3080 to get the maximum performance.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, anyone could guess something like this. It just seems plausible.

But I bet there's a lot more work to be done than just that.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
They won't but they should. Specially Microsoft.

What's crazy is that the only company that's been willing to do this in the past consistently has been Nintendo (Game Boy Color, New 3DS, DSi(?)), and for good reason. Sooner or later, there has to be a cut off point for these type of demanding games.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Well if nothing works it could be downgraded just like many games were this gen including witcher 3, watchdogs, anthem etc.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This shouldn't be a shock to anyone. I assume PC is main focusing point and will port down to next gen and current consoles?

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
So glad I built a PC for this game. Though I may need a 3080 to get the maximum performance.

You'll want an Ampere Titan 24GB, and then to replace that with the next one as well. With mods to increase visual settings beyond stock limits, you can actually take Witcher 3 (and loads of other games) well beyond what was playable with the hardware available in release era.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that certainly has some interesting implications for Microsoft's current cross-gen strategy

It really doesn't...

MS current cross-gen strategy is to release 1st party cross gen games up until and possibly shortly after XSX launches... I'm not sure why people act like they arent making next-gen only games.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
You'll want an Ampere Titan 24GB, and then to replace that with the next one as well. With mods to increase visual settings beyond stock limits, you can actually take Witcher 3 (and loads of other games) well beyond what was playable with the hardware available in release era.

You are right about myself being silly for replacing a video card so early but I want a more mature RT capable card. Is that something wrong?

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, it isn't like this game has been in development for like 6 years uh how didn't they just aim for next generations already

they absolutely could have but a game that big and expensive will sink an independent dev company if it's not a hit. And the sales as a launch title would not be enough. Only a platform holder would risk something like that as a launch title.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
How do you develop a game that is releasing on current gen consoles yet have them not be powerful enough

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
Some of these cross-gen games are so ambitious, so I am sure Cyberpunk is not the only game having these issues. I mean, the processing power gap between the original base consoles and upcoming new gen ones is quite huge. I expect many of the fall 2020 cross-gen releases to run like shit on older base hardware.

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
This is correct. They failed pre-certification. Borys Nieśpielak is a well known game journalist and film maker in Poland, but truth be told the entire Polish dev community knew it's going to be pushed for quite some time, although previous date was set to 17 July, not September.

Edit: Here's film made by Borys documenting indie devs working on a debut title https://store.steampowered.com/app/794310/We_are_alright/

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Its going to be a Shadow Of Mordor/Dragon Age Inquisition level port.
It's not like those at all. Cyberpunk is a current gen project. It was always planned to be out this gen. It's not cross gen. It was not made for next gen, being ported down to current gen to release first, then being released properly later on next gen.

it's a current gen game that will later get next gen enhancements. The port will be to next gen, not the versions they are working on now.

Dec 12, 2019
I'm from Poland and you guys need to know, that Borys is a very trusted source when it comes to Polish game dev. From several months he was very, very, very doubtful about "Dying Light 2" release date. And we all got confirmation about it few days ago.

So, his words about "Cyberpunk" are most likely true. But keep in mind that, he don't work in CD Project Red or have any serious connections with them.

Most of his sources are developers - sometimes from indie studios and outsourcing companies, some a former employees and sometimes it comes from direct source (e.g. like private talking during game dev events).

In some cases it could be only rumor between developers - maybe even intentional misinformation. But if you take information about perfomance issues on Xbox One, he said it was confirmed by several independent sources. He also mentions rumors about exclusive game for Sony from CD Project Red, but it was not confirmed later by any of his sources. So it was probably some "wishful thinking" from someone, who noticed Sony representatives around the main building. ;)

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When you're a PC player and don't have to worry about current gen consoles performance when the game drops.

tenor.gif

You're not wrong but damn that's rubbing it in lol. PC has been "next gen" gaming for quite awhile now. For everyone sake I wish they'd drop the current console version altogether but that's leaving a ton of money on the table.

I just hope they're ready to be working on patches for months on end and answering dumb questions like "how come it looks different on my launch ps4/ xbox one? "

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
You're not wrong but damn that's rubbing it in lol. PC has been "next gen" gaming for quite awhile now. For everyone sake I wish they'd drop the current console version altogether but that's leaving a ton of money on the table.

I just hope they're ready to be working on patches for months on end and answering dumb questions like "how come it looks different on my launch ps4/ xbox one? "
Rubbed it in too much that it deserved a warning. Yeah no they're not going to drop any version considering current gens massive install base.