• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that certainly has some interesting implications for Microsoft's current cross-gen strategy

Wouldnt be the first time Ms has a solid idea ruined by the reality of how they implement it.

OG X1 shouldn't be forced on devs it barely had juice this gen and now they have to use it for another.

Ms is smarter shame they want a weak link in their eco system. They would make their chance ditching any and all of their mistakes of the last decade and genuinely learning from em.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between first and third party games when first party games are also aiming multiple platforms? It just shows that ambitious games like Cyberpunk are particularly difficult to develop for base Xbox One. And Cyberpunk's development started with the current generation in mind to begin with. If MS publishes a game of Cyberpunk's complexity to all platforms then you'll have a point.
Well, MS first party game doesn't need to deal with any Sony's console, pretty big difference actually.
Btw i don't see this rumor being a rumor anymore since i just check the report and that person said there will be Sony exclusive witcher game? lol wat.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It is a bit surprising when you take into account when the development started, but looking at how TW3 performed it's not that outlandish.

Well yeah but if we look at what's going on in-game we can definitely see a big jump from TW3

A few lessons from this unfortunate scenario...

• Next-gen consoles can't come soon enough.
  • CDPR should really announce for next gen already, or at least soft-confirm it, the game looked like a next gen title in scope. I mean, of course it's coming. Instead they are just leaving the idea in the wind. I hope they aren't trying to do a Rock Star style double-dip. Internally, collectively they must know it's too late and too close to try that.
  • Base model Xbox and PS4 really should be treated like 7-8 year old machines at this point. Still have one? You are going to have a bad time with some titles. Imagine having a 7 year old phone. But unfortunately, MS/Sony continue to sell that crap to this day. If they had phased them out a bit, and had just made the pro machines their go-to item the last year or so, at least a lsser percentage of people would be having a bad time with Cyberpunk and the like.

Yeah they definitely gonna announce the game for next gen... Maybe they waiting for a Meeting or Xbox Event to announce it who knows? But for those with Xbox One S will definitely suffer playing this

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I can't ever see this happening thanks to the huge user base of the base consoles. Issues that are blatant to us more than likely won't be major to the regular audience as long as the game is playable. I wouldn't be surprised to see resolutions under 900p on the base consoles.

720p, lowest quality shadow & lighting, Anti-Aliasing Off, Trilinear filtering, Vsync Off. That will make it run at 30fps, hopefully.

(joke post, I know it's not that easy)

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Make it next gen exclusive CDPR
Should have been the plan from the start with a late 2021/ early 2022 release to allow for the next gen player base reach millions to allow good sales (even though PC gamers would make up a big chunk too). Making it next gen as launch title would cause sales to suffer I guess. However, CDPR and investors didn't want to miss out on potential of millions of current gen buyers despite risking backlash due to bad performance/ "downgrade"

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Was already planned as a next gen purchase.

1st party titles and 3rds like FF7R or Yakuza 7 will be enough until PS5.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that developers could easy as pie just scale everything down, no problems. Isn't that what the defenders of Xbox no nextgen exclusives policy have been saying?

Again, I don't understand this angle. As I said in a previous post, there have been games that have ran poorly on the original PS4 and Xbox One ever since the systems were released. If anything a game like Cyberpunk WOULD show the power & benefits of the new consoles instead of holding the new consoles back. Weren't statements like this made due to the fear of holding the new consoles back?

I thought it was pretty much common sense that games like Halo Infinite would more than likely be a resolution below 900p and/or not 60 FPS on the original Xbox One. I guess not though. But yeah, base PS4 and Xbox One are going to have some really rough looking multiplats these next 3-4 years.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
If Boskee is to be believed then this has more to do with the platform holders not approving than CDPR. Besides that, none of the games I have worked on have actively been pushing for a good a experience on all platforms during development, that usually happens at the very end of development, when you know that you aren't adding more features and no more targets needs to be reached. If the game ran on all platforms during most of development at all, that'd be considered a win.
I don't get it, they had to build the game around a specific hardware and they had to test the game on consoles at least once in all these years, dind't they? So they had an idea of what is possible or not to achieve with that hardware. I find strage they booted up the game on PS4 just few months ago to be like "oh no it doesn't run, all this work was in vain, we are screwed"

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Cyberpunk was delayed because Final Fantasy VII Remake was delayed to release like a week or two before it. They delayed it literally the next day after the FFVII delay. Can't convince me otherwise.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Switcher 3 has proven that people don't care about graphics, so just downgrade it to hell for those systems and bingo, you can move the release date back up and everyone is happy.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Cyberpunk was delayed because Final Fantasy VII Remake was delayed to release like a week or two before it. They delayed it literally the next day after the FFVII delay. Can't convince me otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean these are the consoles that are going to give them the biggest chunk of money, so this would be quite peculiar if true.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
When you're a PC player and don't have to worry about current gen consoles.

tenor.gif
Game still got delayed because of them tho.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
This is why having multiple SKUs with different specs in a single generation in dumb. Developers should be optimizing their games for a single set of platforms, it's easier than having to juggle 4+ specs and with hardware from 2013.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it. These base consoles having been showing there age recently and base Xbox was noticeable behind PS4 in terms of power. Base Xbox was upgraded with S as well.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
A few lessons from this unfortunate scenario...
  • Base model Xbox and PS4 really should be treated like 7-8 year old machines at this point. Still have one? You are going to have a bad time with some titles. Imagine having a 7 year old phone. But unfortunately, MS/Sony continue to sell that crap to this day. If they had phased them out a bit, and had just made the pro machines their go-to item the last year or so, at least a lsser percentage of people would be having a bad time with Cyberpunk and the like.

That's totally ridiculous. Cyberpunk must've started development with the base PS4 and Xbox One in mind, they should have scoped the game so those platforms could run it. I'm fine with the game looking much worse on my base PS4 than on a high-end PC, but the framerate should be around 30, no excuses

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, they had to build the game around a specific hardware and they had to test the game on consoles at least once in all these years, dind't they? So they had an idea of what is possible or not to achieve with that hardware. I find strage they booted up the game on PS4 just few months ago to be like "oh no it doesn't run, all this work was in vain, we are screwed"

I have no insight into how CDPR works, but usually you develop (test) on PC where the overhead is as massive as you'd like it. That means you can spend more time to make new features and iterate on them, and less time on optimizing something that you might end up scrapping later. We used to just make sure that the things actually ran on the other devkits, but if they ran at 10 fps that would be more than fine. Optimization comes at the very tail-end of development, and in this case it seems like they bit off a bit more than they could chew in the allotted time.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I don't think it's true. I mean, the game has been in development by 3 or 4 years, right ? They would have know this long time ago, not just a couple a month before the launch.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yeah, but like I said earlier in the thread, it's a good example of how games of Cyberpunk's scope and ambition will be kneecapped by holding onto hardware that wasn't even able to hit 1080p on most games back when it came out.

Also, if a game in development during most of this generation is struggling to run on it, imagine how much you'll have to hold back games designed with the next generation in mind.

A fair point.

I'm slghtly surprised as CD P R are sually very good at saling their games across different power PC

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
naciśnij ukradkiem kurwa!

This is why having multiple SKUs with different specs in a single generation in dumb. Developers should be optimizing their games for a single set of platforms, it's easier than having to juggle 4+ specs and with hardware from 2013.
It's all about the cash money.

For as much as a pain as I'm sure it is to cram this game into current gen hardware, they can't ignore the sales to be made from the install base

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If I recall correctly, didn't most cross-gen titles run like hot trash on X360 and PS3?

I do have a question for people here. Would you buy this game on PS4 or Xbox One if it ran at 720p-30fps (stable) ?
I wouldn't say "most" cross-gen titles last time ran that poorly, but certainly there were a few that did (like Shadow of Mordor). For the others, though it was usually clear that the PS3/360 versions weren't a major focus, performance was usually within the kind of boundaries that people would expect based on last-generation hardware - like, say, ACIV: Black Flag was a slight improvement over ACIII on PS3/360 even though it was clearly outclassed by the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

For this generation I don't think I'll bother buying anything on PS4 or Xbox One that looks like it might get anywhere near stretching those machines. I'll wait a few months and play on PS5, even if there isn't a PS5 version, since that'll still have improvements over the base PS4.

I think it rather might be CPU limitations in that game.
It might be. However, if that was the case, it'd be a little weird to single out the original Xbox One as being "extremely unsatisfactory" - if there are CPU limitations the base PS4 should have at least as many problems as the original Xbox One (and indeed more problems, considering the Xbox One's greater clock speed).

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Least surprising news ever.

If you're a console player and have the money to jump into next gen at launch, you'd be insane not to wait for the inevitable PS5/Series X versions.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Yes or what else? oh right minecraft will be on PS5 yeah, but how many people going to trash talk PS4 and XB1(and Switch?) because minecraft?
You said CDPR has difficulties with Xbox One because they have to make a PS4 version - a more powerful console.
But that MS will have no difficulties with getting next-gen games running on Xbox One because they don't need to make a version for the more powerful PS4?
That's why I was 🤣🤣

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Btw if it's CPU issue then maybe we can ask Sony to tell CDPR drop the base PS4 version since base PS4's CPU is even weaker than XB1, maybe it will help a little bit of the game, Sony is very edger to next-gen only right?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
But the game was designed for current gen since years ago, why the performance issues showed up after announcing the earlier release date?

They are a PC developer. They had a similar issue with Witcher 3. They completely redid their engine renderer to make it work on consoles, then had significant performance issues even then when it released. IT took them like a year+ of patches for certain area's in the game to run close or locked @30fps.

It's not surprising, what we've been seeing has always been running on a high end PC.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if this is true, they got pretty close to a planned release date before realising it ran terribly? Seems like a pretty big oversight. I'd assume they're already on super low settings almost as far as they can go, so maybe CPU limited? If performance is still that bad, not sure what a 6 month delay will help with - seems like it'd need fundamental change?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
You said CDPR has difficulties with Xbox One because they have to make a PS4 version - a more powerful console.
But that MS will have no difficulties with getting next-gen games running on Xbox One because they don't need to make a version for the more powerful PS4?
That's why I was 🤣🤣
If you don't think scale up/down is easy, why would you think port the game between MS and Sony's current gen console will be just "save as"?
Oh and, PS4's CPU is weaker actually, funny right.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Well, that certainly has some interesting implications for Microsoft's current cross-gen strategy

how so? Microsoft's approach is the same as PC and Mobile. Yes your old PC could run Cyberpunk, but it will be a severely downgraded experience. I see this as a great strategy going forward for the non hardcore base that doesn't always jump on new consoles right away. If anything it'll convince people they need to get the newer model to truly enjoy the experience. Not to mention, 3rd party devs can decide if they want a game to be next gen exclusive.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
CDPR is a publicly traded company. They don't operate at the nearly levels of funding that, for example, EA or Take-Two do. Regardless of TW3's success, they still have to be a lot more conscious of the bottom line.

So they have to be extremely aware of:
1) What percentage of the console audience will adopt next gen at launch if the price point is as high as rumored? ($500/$600 is no joke to a lot of people)
2) What percentage of the PC audience is running a high end rig?

CDPR absolutely want to make the best game possible. But investors (and the people offering them marketing deals) are always going to demand a game that launches to the most potential customers. Delays also cost a ton, and each one of them adds up. All this means there are NO easy answers here.