• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 8, 2018
According to a Polish insider via Altchar.com

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/c...t-gen-consoles-new-source-claims-aRRcH8e4RHYT

Some quotes:

According to a Polish insider Borys Niespielak, the main reason for Cyberpunk 2077 delay lies in current-gen consoles, which are reportedly not powerful enough to run the game properly.

Speaking in a podcast, which you can watch below, Niespielak says that the original Xbox One console is not powerful enough to run the game properly and apparently, Cyberpunk 2077 performance on the console is "extremely unsatisfactory"

As for the source, over at Discord, Polish players are pretty confident in Borys Niespielak, who seems to be as renowned as Jason Schreier in Poland.

Last edited:

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that certainly has some interesting implications for Microsoft's current cross-gen strategy

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

according to Polish insider Borys Niespielak, current generation consoles are actually the main problem for the developers.

Speaking in a podcast, which you can watch below, Niespielak says that the original Xbox One console is not powerful enough to run the game properly and apparently, Cyberpunk 2077 performance on the console is "extremely unsatisfactory".

Borys' sources confirmed that if "this problem with Xbox has not been solved by January 2020, the release date must be postponed."

gm-5dcb861a-8539-4cdc-9cb2-4628fe9c0fd8-cp-discord.jpg

this is translation of what was said in the podcast as the podcast is in polish.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Yeaaaah... I'm gonna wait until that PS5 version/patch.
Really don't want bad performance to ruin my time with this game.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Jason Schreier of Poland!

If this is true, I'm happy that Sony won't go the route of cross gen games.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
oh man hopefully we won't get another downgrade gate.
it's going to be a real problem for them if they are trying to simulate a cyberpunk metropolis and there are only 2 cars driving on the street.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
That wouldn't be a huge shock. It's going to be very challenging for devs to hit so many performance targets at the moment.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea who he is, but this doesn't sound unlikely, given how enormous the PC E3 demo looked, I had my doubts the console's CPU were going to be able to run so many NPCs, for example.

I hope CDPR is working on an unlocked PC version, that will go forward in tech as much as possible, so that the PC version is not chained to whatever compromises they achieve to run good on PS4/XOne.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is going to run poorly on current gen systems, isn't it? Lol.

Hopefully the PS4 Pro and One X versions run well at least, but I'm not holding my breath.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I doubt it, in the same podcast he says that content is still being made and main storyline wasn't finished until 3 months ago.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds plausible that it would struggle on the base consoles, but if this is really the case, it sounds dubious that the plan appears to be to release it anyway. I'm sure they can use some additional time to improve things, but some extra months probably aren't going to push a game from "extremely unsatisfactory" to "fine".

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One S has been struggling with few games lately can only imagine what it's like in something like cyberpunk.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
There's also news on Ciri game at the link. Since no one believes anything anyway, I can add that it wasn't really a full blown RPG and more of an action adventure game like God of War. Not sure whether it still exists but I'd say it does in some form.

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
But the game was designed for current gen since years ago, why the performance issues showed up after announcing the earlier release date?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, that certainly has some interesting implications for Microsoft's current cross-gen strategy
Well, they haven't even announced it for next gen yet, so it's not so much Microsoft's strategy, as CDPR building a game for 7 years and realising 9 months away it won't run on at least 1/3 of the peoples machines. ( I don't hold out much hope of the base ps4 being a radically different story)

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I have no idea who he is, but this doesn't sound unlikely, given how enormous the PC E3 demo looked, I had my doubts the console's CPU were going to be able to run so many NPCs, for example.

I hope CDPR is working on an unlocked PC version, that will go forward in tech as much as possible, so that the PC version is not chained to whatever compromises they achieve to run good on PS4/XOne.
I think the final version of the game will likely have much less NPCs on screen compared to what we saw in the demo.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Will wait for performance analysis before picking PS4 version, otherwise will wait for PS5 version

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Makes sense, then again they made Witcher 3 run on the switch.

Ill defenitley wait for the PS5/Series X versions.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much for the great idea to make the Xbox One the baseline for the first 1-2 years of the XSX lifetime.

Looks like you can't just lower the resolution and dial back a few effects to make a next-gen game run on old hardware.

Who knew...

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
User warned: Platform Warring
When you're a PC player and don't have to worry about current gen consoles performance when the game drops.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
True or not, everyone benefits from the necessary optimization. Even on PC it means you get more headroom to play around with mods.

Oct 25, 2017
All these 2020 games should just be played on next gen hardware honestly.

That was my plan back in 2019 lol.

The potential performance/graphical bump is worth it.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
But the game was designed for current gen since years ago, why the performance issues showed up after announcing the earlier release date?

Because trying to scale a game that's appealing to both high end PCs and weak nearly decades old hardware is much harder than armchair developers would lead you to think.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I hope the PC and next gen versions don't suffer because of base consoles.

They probably will :/

Though I remember The Witcher 3 being a cross gen title and then later they dropped the X360 and PS3 versions. That obviously isn't and option in CP2077 case.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Why would a third party's decision on their own titles affect Microsoft? I thought it was just 1st party titles that were cross gen?
Because it's a good example of how games of Cyberpunk's scope and ambition will be kneecapped by holding onto hardware that wasn't even able to hit 1080p on most games back when it came out.
Well, they haven't even announced it for next gen yet, so it's not so much Microsoft's strategy, as CDPR building a game for 7 years and realising 9 months away it won't run on at least 1/3 of the peoples machines. ( I don't hold out much hope of the base ps4 being a radically different story)
Which makes it all the more relevant, doesn't it? If a game in development during most of this generation is struggling to run on it, imagine how much you'll have to hold back games designed with the next generation in mind.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it, most likely November. They still want to get some of those PS4 and XboxOne sales though.
Makes you think though, the phrasing that the current gen consoles aren't powerful enough to run the game properly is interesting, the power will be the same in september unless there is something better out by then ;)

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing how much trouble they had with The Witcher 3 this does not surprise me at all.

It is a shame for them because they can not ignore the millions of people owning the base PS4, but they also can not compromise their vision too much.

This alone makes waiting for the PS5 version less painful. I'd rather wait the extra months instead of becoming mad about the abysmal performance.

Makes you think though, the phrasing that the current gen consoles aren't powerful enough to run the game properly is interesting, the power will be the same in september unless there is something better out by then ;)

There is a lot you can do in terms of optimization in those extra 5 months.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Yeah this is why the delay didn't bother me, as I was already going to wait for next gen patch (or my gpu upgrade) for this reason really. Not specifically that current gen would be unacceptable performance wise as per this rumour, just feeling that it would be dialled back and nowhere near the optimum benchmark for the ambition the game seems to have.

Don't mind waiting a little longer to play it the best way I can.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game runs poorly on the base consoles—especially the original Xbox One.

I honestly wouldn't mind a delay to 2021 if need be. Should be easy to push games that were originally for PS4 and Xbox One on to PS5 and Xbox Series X thanks to compatibility.