• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Oh no, this is horrible! This isn't what I wanted at all! I just wanted DS1 with better visuals/framerate, not a remake! DS1's combat is awesome, and DS3's combat doesn't fit DS1. The enemies are all slow and deliberate with their attacks, so you have to overhaul the AI to make it work, or else the game will be broken! This is just terrible, and the worst news possible! :(

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for that connected world. The new look and combat changes will just make exploring it again feel fresh.

I'm excited!

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. They're selling a classic to a new audience. I loved the original, but I've played it more times than I can count. Recreating it in a new engine with some tweaks would be refreshing.
Would it though? Dark Souls III is basically already a Bloodborne/Dark Souls rusion remake. Why bother recreating the original, which still stands well on its own, if you're gonna change it to be more like 3?

are a lot of you saying you cant beat the game with out high poise?
High poise builds are fun.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't trust Vaati of all people.

Also it seems pretty unlikely that the game has any significant changes to combat. They would have announced these in the PR statement.

Also, please no combat changes, man. Other than maybe 8-diagonal movement.

I like my poise the way it is in Dark Souls 1, thank you very much.

Poise and many other things made DS PvP terribad compared to its sequels. The game needs some refinements from the sequels.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are making this run 60fps from the scratch, so i'm not that worried. DS3 was design to run 30fps, they only unlock the frame cap in Pro patch.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017
Does this mean the console versions will not suffer from the signature frame pacing issues in From Software games?

Dec 3, 2017
Would it though? Dark Souls III is basically already a Bloodborne/Dark Souls rusion remake. Why bother recreating the original, which still stands well on its own, if you're gonna change it to be more like 3?

Sure. I don't know about overhauling major elements, necessarily, but the game needs some QoL improvements, if they want to get new people on board. That seems to be the goal for this game, anyway. I love Dark Souls as much as anybody, but I'm not opposed to changes that can make it better and something that potentially gets more people playing the original. I'm curious as to how it will play.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people freaking out about this? DS1 with better visuals and framerate already exists on PC via dsfix. I'd think more substantial QOL changes would be welcome.
While I'm excited about the remaster, I'd rather they not mess with poise. Sure, I can still beat the game. But taking on Gwyn like a proper tank with the Shield of Artorias on my NG+ playthrough was so much more fun and less frustrating than spamming parry during my first run.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

No but fighting 3 on 1 ganks without it is much more frustrating.

The things they need to make sure to do so this still feels like DS1 and not DS3: DS1 Edition

- Poise needs to work like it did in 1.

- No chugging estus and moving. You need to remain stationary like in DS1. Changing this to how it is in BB/DS3 will really mess with combat encounters.

Jury is still out on 8 way rolling because adding that changes how you need to design fights, but it is a good thing when done well. Look at DS2, that game has 8 way rolling but most bosses are slow as molasses making most boss/enemy encounters a joke unless they have some bs attack/hitbox/tracking. BB and DS3 work because the enemies and bosses are designed around the player being faster. On top of all that you need to give NPCs the ability to 8 way roll too.

Who knows, maybe they took all of this in consideration over the 2 years its been in development. Just dont screw this up From pls.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Vaati and fextralife doesn't seem like sources I would trust to be honest.
We'll see when they actually show it.

Currently I'm expecting them to just slap a new coat of paint on it in the form of Yebis, fix any 60fps bugs that we know of, improve some textures and call it a day.
I'll still buy it.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Interest...

344961_original.gif

convo

Oct 25, 2017
They are making this runs 60fps from the scratch, so i'm not that worried. DS3 was design to run 30fps, they only unlock the frame cap in Pro patch.

Yeah but that one isn't exactly doing anything that close to 60fps. This remaster could be an improvement and DS1 isn't all that effect heavy or has any of the geometry clutter of latter games so if they don't add to much to this one i could see it running alright .

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I assumed it was just a Remaster...like the title says and basically tuned out. Upgrading it to play like Dark Souls 3 would be make it a must buy though.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can beat DS3 easily with heavy armor/poise. What is this revisionist history?

I'd say is one of the easiest ways to beat the game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
They better not touch balance and nerf magic. The Last thing we need is 3 games where magic is nerfed into the ground.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they mess with toggle escapes and backstabs then this is not Dark Souls 1

convo

Oct 25, 2017
You can beat DS3 easily with heavy armor/poise. What is this revisionist history?

I'd say is one of the easiest ways to beat the game.

Well people freaked out about how poise worked differently in DS3 than DS1 and it changed with patches too, what ever the state of things are i tuned out of that conversation once people made news stories about reddit threads.

Oct 27, 2017
Will it feature the cancelled content of dark souls 1?

Can i dual wield shields still?
Dark Souls had a lot of "fun" content that wasn't meta or viable but still funny to do. Dark Souls 3 has almost none of that. I hope the devs don't try to take the "fun" out of dark souls 1

edit: Calling this "remastered" is ass. I should skip out on this game just because of that. It's a remake.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know but is there and works wonderfully, except now it takes some timing to work. Poise needed some serious changes and the fact it was totally altered in 2 and 3 means it was broken.

Honestly I liked how 2 did it the most. Honestly of course Souls 1 poise needed some tweaks but I dunno about getting it straight from 3... this applies with almost everything (other than 8-way rolling and QoL stuff)