• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone tell me what poise means in Dark Souls and why people are concerned? Sorry, I've never played the DS series before.
It's hyperarmor.

It's lame as hell and it ruined PvP (HavelMom is the peak cancer form of DS1.) Poise is an awful mechanic that hasn't been done well, outside of heavy weapons having armor on their attacks, which is fine.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
With all the concerns of people here, it seems switch "version" would be the better one if you would just like the original game with its original mechanics just stable fps (30)

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well people freaked out about how poise worked differently in DS3 than DS1 and it changed with patches too, what ever the state of things are i tuned out of that conversation once people made news stories about reddit threads.

The thing it was always there, they later changed the poise calculations to buff heavy armors but it still works like day one.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is great imo. I've played DS1 the most out of all the Souls games and I still keep coming back for more. So to get a remix/remake/remaster is great to me. If the combat is closer to DS3's, then they will have to balance and change other things too, so I'm excited for that. I've still got the original and still intend to play it just like DS2 vanilla and SOTFS are different.

I really don't care for the "6 player" aspect, since it just sounds like a clusterfuck to me and not the way I used to play pvp, but I think that's how DS3 is and people played the shit out of that, so no reason they wouldn't welcome it here too.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit,this is even better.
Are they going to finish Lost Izalith this time then? oh my god.
Gotta admit that i had my doubts that this was a remaster when i read that they were using ds3's lighting.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
It doesn`t say that at all.

What? That's literally what it says.
Dark Souls Remastered is also coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Ok. Followed by
These ports are being handled by a separate company from the Switch port, and will feature rebuilt lighting and SFX based on Dark Souls 3
They start the sentence by saying they are specifically not referring to the Switch port here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I liked how 2 did it the most. Honestly of course Souls 1 poise needed some tweaks but I dunno about getting it straight from 3... this applies with almost everything (other than 8-way rolling and QoL stuff)

As far as I remember DS2 poise was a joke. I think DS3 is the best solution so far, but still needs further tweaks, I agree is far from perfect.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say that they were just using DS3's lighting engine and effects? How is it going to run at 60 fps on base Ps4 if it's a full remake?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't fuck with the combat too much. The weighty feel and controls was what made boss fights so tense. I'm interested in how they handle this.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd expect the base PS4 version to perform better with the 60 fps target than base XB1 if the detail levels are close between them (assuming there isn't an excess of overhead for both).

convo

Oct 25, 2017
What? That's literally what it says.

Ok. Followed by

They start the sentence by saying they are specifically not referring to the Switch port here.

Oh oh it's arbitrary video game jargon that has no definitive meaning unless someone decides to make the oxford dictionary for video game terms.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, the Switch version being handled by a different company could potentially mean it's an actual remaster while the others are a remake. So I could get the full package by double dipping? NICE.

I mean, YAY! for the QoL, but NAY! for the faster paced combat (and less importance of stamina). I liked that all 3 games felt different, so I hope they keep it that way.
Basically.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
It's unfortunate they're tweaking the combat. The original plays the best, in my opinion. I hope they don't change too much.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
my interpretation is that it's using the new ds3 engine so they can use the lighting system, but will continue to use the old ds1 assets. this is complete speculation on my part, but i feel like they wouldn't use the word remaster if they had completely remade all the assets/world.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most of us don't care about you. I care for myself and I like the change to DS3

I didn't say anybody cared about me. I was saying that my hype for the game had dropped because of this, and somebody told me not to say that because most people supposedly prefer DS3's combat.

I was posting my thoughts on the matter, not telling anyone else how they should feel

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The more I think about potential changes (intended or otherwise), the more I'm glad I also have a digital copy of the original version on Xbox One. I want both, but I like having access to both.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If that's the only source for Switch port being in-house and the others not, then it's a very weak proof.
Kotaku didn't say what any of the porting companies are, just that Switch is ported by Company A and PS4/XBO/PC is ported by Company B. They're likely both outsourced.
True that it's the only source, but the other versions already had the DS3 engine running, and very early rumours from a year ago said From software was porting DS3 (and had an internal build running).

It's also a strange detail to mention in a rumor that turned out to be correct

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Do you think they'll let us fast travel from the start?

I hope not.

Honestly, one of my best memories in all of gaming was making my way from Undead Burg to the Depths and upper & lower Blighttown, not knowing when or if I'd ever see the sun again. Stuck down there for countless hours until finally finding my way out up the water wheel and through New Londo Ruins to get back to Firelink Shrine.

Seeing the sun again after all that was the biggest sense of relief I'd ever gotten from a game.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me what poise means in Dark Souls and why people are concerned? Sorry, I've never played the DS series before.
That+poise+tho+_29f54589f29c89d1bbece4a2c439a714.gif

it is glorious. it is life.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls with DSIII combat is a potential GOAT. Really glad Fextralife is helping out with the game too. This will be by far, the best way to play Dark Souls.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know "combat differences" could just mean that it's now possible to swing your sword while in a tight hallway though right?

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
The combat differences stuff is pure speculation based on too sources who I would not rely on at all.

Pretty irresponsible to have that in the OP.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's hyperarmor.

It's lame as hell and it ruined PvP (HavelMom is the peak cancer form of DS1.) Poise is an awful mechanic that hasn't been done well, outside of heavy weapons having armor on their attacks, which is fine.
Souls should never ever be balanced around pvp

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I hope not.

Honestly, one of my best memories in all of gaming was making my way from Undead Burg to the Depths and upper & lower Blighttown, not knowing when or if I'd ever see the sun again. Stuck down there for countless hours until finally finding my way out up the water wheel and through New Londo Ruins to get back to Firelink Shrine.

Seeing the sun again after all that was the biggest sense of relief I'd ever gotten from a game.

Yes, I remember that too, that feeling when the Firelink theme started playing, and yes, spent many hours down in the swamp dying to fucking mosquitos, poison and toxin, mind you I didn't have the ring, it wasn't until later that I found out about the ring that made you move faster in the swamp, made it so much faster and less painful.