• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017

I labeled it as a rumor JUST in case this is a fake account, because... I'm shocked someone in his position is allowed to do this. Like this is nearly the same as someone from EPD Kyoto asking for ANY fan input on BOTW2. A sign of Pokemon devs trying to be more forward with the community? I'm assuming this relates to the mainline games (all Creatures is doing otherwise is Detective Pikachu games).

Still such a surreal sight. Do you buy this? Serebii you're in the twitter thread, maybe you can chime in.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If this was some part of an initiative to listen to fan feedback on the games that would literally be the best thing that could happen to the series.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thought of a Pokemon game having a good UI/UX is so wild that it has to be considered a rumor.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
His bio says he's currently working on Detective Pikachu, so I don't know how much this impact will have on the next main game, but this is really cool nonetheless! Let's hope the dude doesn't get too much hate.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it is trye, honestly, the UI is the least of Pokemons problems that need any outside input lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
His bio says he's currently working on Detective Pikachu, so I don't know how much this impact will have on the next main game, but this is really cool nonetheless! Let's hope the dude doesn't get too much hate.
This is why I didn't want to share it anywhere.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
This makes me doubt it.

And going off the responses, people do not know what UI means.

His pinned tweet shows his resume as having evidently worked at Capcom Vancouver and Black Box (also in Vancouver). Creatures is one hell of an upgrade in career. Plus he's been on twitter since 2013 and the pinned tweet was from 2018. That's a while to lie about this.

Still I looked at MobyGames. No sign of him in Sword & Shield's credits. All I found was a David Gibson who worked on a couple of Madden games, but the other games don't add up so it's likely a different person.

This is why I didn't want to share it anywhere.
He did encourage it by tagging Kotaku so he wants this to spread despite the risks I guess.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to have fast travel mapped to a single button! Also to be able to fast travel from within buildings!

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pokémon has some pretty good UI overall. I can't think of too much that I'd want changed overally. Mayyybe adding stat boosts to the main battle screen, but that could make things look a bit cluttered, and its accessible anyways.

...would reintroducing the custom quick-access item list from B2W2 count as a UX feature? I don't think so, but it also pops to mind quickly (though in context of SwSh it'd probably be less useful with bike mapped to a button, no HMs, and Repels essentially being useless).

Edit: Oh yea a button to instantly bring up the map would be great as well, even if its pretty easy to get to as-is.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It's true. He does work at Creatures.

However while he does there, this won't affect main games. Creatures doesn't develop the main games; Game Freak does.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
How about the UI where they forgot to add a Challenge Mode to the main menu

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they reach out for suggestions on improving the games in other areas. UI/UX is probably the least of my worries right now for the franchise.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Things that the games DESPERATELY need:
-National Dex, or at least a compromise to make all pokemon accesible to all games in a gen by the end of that gen via patches.
-Custom Difficulty
-Voice acting...At least voiced cutscenes
-Post game challenges, hidden dungeons and rewards
-Home should not need a fucking phone to work
-Compromise to balance patches for the meta
-Visuals, like...all of them

Things that are fine:
-The fucking UI.

Jesus Christ, even when trying, they are clueless lol. But this is a BIG step forward and I'll take what I can get. Any attempt to start interacting with fan feedback and concerns is welcomed

Last edited:

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
UX is not UI. If you think the UX of the online features is fine then I don't want you anywhere near the ears of someone making a Pokémon game.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's true. He does work at Creatures.

However while he does there, this won't affect main games. Creatures doesn't develop the main games; Game Freak does.

Creatures assist with the main series and it wouldn't be shocking to me if they become more involved because of the demanding nature of HD development.
He's specifically talking about the main series games, the replies he's liking are taking about the main series.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, like others have said, the UI is the least of the issues. Only thing I can suggest is that it's kind of boring looking.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Creatures assist with the main series and it wouldn't be shocking to me if they become more involved because of the demanding nature of HD development.
He's specifically talking about the main series games, the replies he's liking are taking about the main series.
Yeah. Creatures are actually the ones who make all of the 3D Pokemon models. I think they call it the Pokemon Creature Lab or something?

Creatures have LONG been intertwined with the IP. Their name in the copyright isn't for show. They're the ones behind the card game as well.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Ehh. Battle pacing needs a much needed overhaul. Battles can be extremely slow due to how long some animations take. We don't need to waste lots of time on stat changes, weather effects, status effects, etc.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
UI/UX was the least of the problems with the last mainline games, but this could be a good start. Of course, listening to the fans, especially the violent ones, is definitely not the way to go, but this is nice.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
People complain all the time about Pokemon's slow battles and the amount of text per turn especially when weather conditions, stat boost happen. That's all UX.

Brake

Feb 6, 2018

I guess he's asking just for the Detective Pikachu development. Would love if it reaches the mainline games as well...

Oct 25, 2017
Did any of you calling Gen 8's UX/UI flawless actually play online. They gave us PSS on the 3DS 7 years ago, we can have standards now. Joining raids. Joining people. The fact that you couldn't just automatically connect to a friend like you could on the 3DS 7 years ago. Really? Flawless is the word you're choosing.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Did any of you calling Gen 8's UX/UI flawless actually play online. They gave us PSS on the 3DS 7 years ago, we can have standards now. Joining raids. Joining people. The fact that you couldn't just automatically connect to a friend like you could on the 3DS 7 years ago. Really? Flawless is the word you're choosing.

People seem to misunderstand UX and just think "how the menus look"

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but maybe he just doesn't want to do similar problems that the mainlines do in the UI/UX department.

Although this wouldn't make too much sense considering how probably different the mainlines and this Detective Pikachu game are.
He's probably working on the next main series game alongside Detective Pikachu or will after.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Does asking for a "fast forward battle animation" button count as UI feedback? Otherwise, I don't take too much issue with the UI aside from the local/wifi multiplayer menu.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me realize some people on this forum have no idea what UX is...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Power spots will appear to be glowing from a distance even if they're uncharged. It's especially bad because if you're traveling through the wild area, you use uncharged power spots as progress markers when navigating.
It would be nice to have fast travel mapped to a single button! Also to be able to fast travel from within buildings!
This too. The map in general should really be tied to a single button.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What's with people complaining that UI is the least of the games' problems?
The guy is a UI/UX designer. He's not going to run a survey on your problems with the limited Pokedex or difficulty.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
What's with people complaining that UI is the least of the games' problems?
The guy is a UI/UX designer. He's not going to run a survey on your qualms with the limited Pokedex or difficulty.
i don't think anyone expects him to do that...like you said it's not his job. people are just saying there are more important things that they should be asking for feedback on other than UI/UX. not that hard to get.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt he'll actually see this here, but I don't have a Twitter account, so:

The way battles currently present things is way too slow. A bunch of things really should probably be combined and/or incorporated into animations instead of being text. Max raids severely exacerbate this issue by having 4 Pokémon on one side of the battlefield.

Also everything about how online matchmaking works is just really bad in Sword and Shield. They really need to go back to a more PSS style system where you can just select someone from a list and request to battle or trade with them. The codes would be fine as a supplemental system, but they're terrible as a primary one. Also, if raids, or something roughly analogous, are a thing they intend to actually keep, then they also need to give that it's own dedicated matchmaking screen that updates in real time. I still don't know how to get the Y-Comm to reliably add new cards, and so many of the ones it does show are either full or not actually seeking participants anymore.

Having a GTS in Home is nice, but not being able to also access it directly from the mainline games adds a whole bunch of annoying extra steps to using it. It also kinda reduces the utility of the GTS since trade evolutions don't seem to work in Home.

Speaking of Home, having two apps with such vastly different capabilities is just a pain. I can't even get the phone app to display my Pokémon as they are laid out in the boxes.

Having to manually reconnect to the Internet every time I return to the game from the Home menu is annoying, especially since this has been a problem since X and Y.

There's a bunch of situations where a "send to a box, but let me pick which one" option would be nice. Especially for raids, because selecting a Pokémon could mess up your active box.

Also if the Pokémon are going to be on the overworld, then they should actually reflect whether or not they're shiny. Going from non-shiny on the overworld to shiny in battle is just weird.

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon UI isn't really a problem I find.

I would suspect that the reason that he's asking that is because of the switch to a one-screen console since the GBA.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Since when UI is a the problem in modern pokemon games? So many other issues to tackle

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Huh. Strange to see but that's one way to collect some ideas to throw up and work through. Would probably have phrased it differently myself though knowing people's stumbling blocks with "UI/UX".

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Sadly the UI is one thing they made great progress on! Sword and Shield is pretty snazzy.