• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
*EDIT* Syfy article with the latest info. Or scroll down for the initial break:

According to a local news outlet in Wilmington, North Carolina, crew members on DC's 'Swamp Thing' were informed they will be wrapping things up a bit early.

While originally scheduled to film 13 episodes through May in Wilmington, the show will now wrap at just 10 episodes with a new ending currently being written. The outlet also says that WB may be shutting down production early to evaluate the future of the DC streaming service, DC Universe. This does seem like speculation though. We have reached out to WB for comment. It is unclear how this affects other DC Universe shows in production.

Well this is concerning. I enjoyed Titans Season 1, and although I haven't dug into Doom Patrol yet, I've been greatly anticipating Swamp Thing. It's also a bit worrying that it's supposed to premiere in late May yet we don't even have a teaser trailer yet. Not even a teaser image of Swampy to whet our appetites.

Even if they are cutting out a few episodes of Swamp Thing, it's far too early to start digging the entire service's grave. Though with Disney+ and Apple+ offerings looking very enticing alongside the current competition from Netflix & co., they have some real struggles ahead.

Still breaking so the details on this story could well change. Sources:
https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20190416/breaking-swamp-thing-to-shut-down-production-early

http://www.wect.com/2019/04/17/sources-swamp-thing-shut-down-production-early/

*edit* some updates coming in through social media and such:

So it turns out that the season shortening is due to creative differences.

That's the plan eventually.

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
That "future of the service under evaluation" is just baseless speculation and should not be taken seriously

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy Brain: Fold all of WB's stuff into a unified service - CW, Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Adult Swim, DC, etc.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure I buy this. Maybe Swamp Thing halted production early but I don't think it means they are revaluating their streaming service. Their first two shows have been hits.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait until main trade sources before speculating they're changing up the service, but if this means I get less Doom Patrol in the future there will be hell to raise.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Haven't Titans and Young Justice Outsiders been two of the most relevant shows of the 2018/2019 season? Not buying this at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy Brain: Fold all of WB's stuff into a unified service - CW, Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Adult Swim, DC, etc.
I do think that is coming but I doubt CW will be involved besides older stuff since CBS owns 50%.

Hell i'd even expect WB would try to do a legitimate Batman or Superman tv series along with something Potter related to launch it
If Amazon didn't already have Lord of the Rings I could see all 3.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Do we have numbers of how Titans and Doom Patrol perform?

I don't think WB reevaluating anything unless they're going forward with WB+ and want to integrate DCU in it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Uhh...that was quick. Surely they would give the streaming service at least 3 years first before declaring it as failure.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
A guy on /co/ who posted some proof that he works on Doom Patrol said that pre-production for Season 2 starts in July. So idk.

Also Titans had a whole Starfire-centric episode that was cut and story beats throughout the season were edited and placed in different orders than originally planned.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Future of the service" could be a producer's way of avoiding saying "the show sucks and they're pulling the plug."

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Series apparently already cost 80 million as of the 10 episodes. I could see WB pumping the breaks early to stopping it from ballooning anymore.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Series apparently already cost 80 million as of the 10 episodes. I could see WB pumping the breaks early to stopping it from ballooning anymore.
I didn't know that, but it makes sense. It'd pretty much have to be the most expensive show they've made thus far. Titans is a glorified CW show so it's obviously relatively cheap, Doom Patrol has a lot of intricate costuming and set design and a bit of CGI in every episode, and now this would need to be full of CGI unless they went practical somehow.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
UUrcK1F.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
You would think that they understood going in that they were going to be in for the long haul to get the numbers. They launched the service with only the 1 new show. I dont buy it, unless they were super short sighted.

I hope Swamp Thing doesnt feel like it ends like Titans did though. I get wanting to do shorter seasons after the complaints for the Marvel Netflix shows, but this sounds like it was planned as a 13 episode story being cut short into 10.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I know WB has that WarnerMedia service they're unveiling later this year but I figured that was just movies. If they fold all of their TV into it though, it might actually be a worthwhile app.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they just announce a whole slate of shows like... a month or two ago? Not that it's impossible to swerve that soon, but still. I figure they'd give the service more than ~6 months to find its footing.

I'm guessing this is more a Swamp Thing problem than anything else.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy expensive for what is offered and it certainly doesn't help that Disney + revealed its a dollar cheaper.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't kill the service.

While I've enjoyed all the shows, I find myself loving the comic collection a hell of a lot.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy expensive for what is offered and it certainly doesn't help that Disney + revealed its a dollar cheaper.
It's an interesting situation. The real competitor is Marvels comic book service that only has comics no shows or movies. However DC is a hybrid so it's also competing with Disney + and Marvels comic subscription. I wonder if WB will stay this course and offer it's other media CN, Boomerang, HannaBarbara, etc separately. Or fold DC universe into it's wider WB service.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having been subscribed for DC Universe, to me Titans & Doom Patrol are good but not great or the best. I'm only here for Young Justice and I'd much rather just cancel after all the episodes have been uploaded, but Doom Patrol has me somewhat hooked to stick around. The service is too expensive for what it offers, although they are continuing to update comics, this service has more value in subscribing after a long term, rather than subscribing to day 1.

It's a well-built service for sure, it's just the target audience is incredibly small, and the wider public isn't interested in the comic aspect of the service, only the shows.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I honestly can't see the DC service doing that well vs Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu. Seems extremely niche.

Young Justice is the only show I'm interested in on it.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Eh.

Swamp Thing will be fine.

The DC Universe app (likely absorbed into the WarnerMedia service) will be fine.

The Disney+ app will be fine.

It will all be fine.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe is a confusing value proposition. On paper, it appears to be a good value. You get DC's back catalogue plus some older movies and shows and new ones as well. But the problem is that movies/shows and comics are actually two entirely different types of products aimed at different consumer groups and demographics, but they're part of the same service and there's no way to pay for only one or the other. In a world where a la carte is now the main business model for consumer services, what looks like a good value proposition actually comes off like DC forcing you to pay "extra" for something you may not want.

This means that, paradoxically, a person might actually be willing to spend $8 a month on a comic service or $8 a month on a TV show service but not $8 a month on both, because there's a psychological voice in their head going "How much would I be saving if I didn't have to pay for the comics (or TV shows) I don't want?"

This is the sort of multidimensional thing you have to consider in business. People are not rational actors and don't make purchase decisions rationally. DC Universe should have been two seperate services at a $5-6 price point each.

I guess you don't pay for MU then

A yearly subscription to Marvel Unlimited is actually only $5.80 a month. It's only $10 if you pay monthly which is clearly not a good bargain.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe is a confusing value proposition. On paper, it appears to be a good value. You get DC's back catalogue plus some older movies and shows and new ones as well. But the problem is that movies/shows and comics are actually two entirely different types of products aimed at different consumer groups and demographics, but they're part of the same service and there's no way to pay for only one or the other. In a world where a la carte is now the main business model for consumer services, what looks like a good value proposition actually comes off like DC forcing you to pay "extra" for something you may not want.

This means that, paradoxically, a person might actually be willing to spend $8 a month on a comic service or $8 a month on a TV show service but not $8 a month on both, because there's a psychological voice in their head going "How much would I be saving if I didn't have to pay for the comics (or TV shows) I don't want?"

This is the sort of multidimensional thing you have to consider in business. People are not rational actors and don't make purchase decisions rationally. DC Universe should have been two seperate services at a $5-6 price point each.

A yearly subscription to Marvel Unlimited is actually only $5.80 a month. It's only $10 if you pay monthly which is clearly not a good bargain.
There was also the issue of the comic selection orginally being curated which hurt it at the start. They should have began with the MU method of everything up to a point being available.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

If you regularly read comics....why wouldn't you watch the shows associated with those comics? Besides DC tv/animation is nowhere near enough to have its own service. It makes sense why they'd roll the comics and shows together.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
There was also the issue of the comic selection orginally being curated which hurt it at the start. They should have began with the MU method of everything up to a point being available.
Eh, DC would still like to maintain a healthy relationship with retailers which is why they were reluctant at the start. Even now, they won't put imprints(except for special exceptions) on DCU because of the retailer relation.