• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
From the PS Store listing of the game, Deathloop has the same "Online Play Required" as other online-only games like Godfall, Genshin Impact, etc. It's true that it's not as huge of a deal as it would've been some years ago, but if it's real, it sucks that a game that can be played in singleplayer requires a permanent internet connection for no reason. To be clear, this doesn't mean the game needs PS+ to be played (only for the Multiplayer mode where another player invades your game, as it's been shown before), and obviously it's still possible that it's a mistake in the listing.

I thought this could be a case of them listing it as required because of the madatory Bethesda login it'll probably have, like DOOM Eternal, but in that game's listing it says "Online Play Optional" instead. Guess we'll see.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't one of the core mechanics of the game the fact that there's someone hunting you while you hunt someone else?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What the fuck lol

I was planning on getting in some Steam sale but if this is true I'm taking it off my wishlist

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The impression I get is that the point of this game is to replay the same "loop" over and over until you've mastered the entire game, with the end step to break the loop being you defeating the player controlled female assassin you see in all the trailers who is hunting you.

If that interpretation is correct, I suppose it is odd that they chose to not allow her to be AI controlled if you wanted.

Last edited:

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably legit. I think you can only play as the female protagonist in someone else's game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Based on Arkane's past titles this wouldn't seem to be a requirement, but who knows how it'll work. I don't really care too much because I basically always have an internet connection, but it's one of those things that if it's not required I'd prefer it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Arkane previously said you could turn the "invasion" stuff off and play solo, though the intended experience is to let other players be Julianna, because that creates the unpredictability that AI can't really easily replicate.

If online is mandatory, though, even for single-player, this is going into the "buy when it's heavily discounted' pile. I refuse to pay full price for games that require online connection for single-player.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Don-Mattrick_2-e1371728295837-1024x646.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if it does, i'm out.

EDIT: you, know, i love Arkane and try to support everything they do. but they really don't do themselves any favours do they. if they're not releasing demo's of games that have some of the worst, most off-putting performance and control quirks i've ever seen with dishonored and prey, they're locking single player behind an online wall...and then wonder why their games sell horribly... i mean i get that their intention is to have the antagonist be player controlled IF YOU CHOOSE TO. but they've said you don't have to do that. so why cant it just be like the souls games? if i'm online, i'm being invaded by a player. if i'm offline, i'm fighting AI only.

it's still a ways off, so hopefully if they are planning on it they change their damn mind.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of content does this game have that would even require an internet connection for singleplayer play?
I believe a second player acts as an antagonist and they can either play as the lady from the trailers or "take over" another enemy character should they choose to.

edit: sorry noticed someone already answered but yeh its this:

Trailer seemed to heavily imply a sorta Dark Souls Invasion gimmick where you're hunted by another player while you're trying to take out your targets.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
How about we wait for more information before passing judgement.

Oh wait... this is Era.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Arkane has stated in no uncertain terms that playing with other users is optional and "solo" players will be able to opt for AI fill-ins, so I assume this is a mistake born from multiplayer functionality requiring PS+.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I love Arkane, but yeah... Sounds weird. I'm way more excited for Arkane Austin's new game anyway. It's the better Arkane studio, IMO.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
It is a Microsoft title so I don't blame them for putting extra requirements for other platforms.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
A quick google search answers this perfectly - https://bethesda.net/en/article/7u3...etails?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Community

Important quote:
While you will experience the main campaign as Colt, you also have the option to infiltrate another player's game as Julianna and do some hunting. But keep in mind, that means someone else could be lurking in your campaign, waiting for the chance to strike. This is Arkane's approach to an immersive multiplayer experience, where the focus is still on the main story, but there is unpredictability around every corner. "We felt this style of multiplayer, where we give people the option to play as the main antagonist, is a great

Also,
. If this PvP element is disabled, Julianna will still appear your game from time to time, hunting you, but she will be AI-controlled. The developers at Arkane Lyon built this system with a hybrid approach in mind

I thought everyone knew this lol

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Damn, I thought this was a single-player game, didn't realize there was an invasion mechanic. Really not a fan of that.

Edit- Good to see that you can disable it. Crisis averted.