• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they pull this off, it could actually be terrifying at times.

But it's Disney, so it won't be.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the Disney train of "let's take magical animated films and remake them as mundane "live action" properties no one would watch if not for nostalgia".

Can't say I'm excited, but I also can't say I'm mad or anything either. Every Disney live action film thus far has kind of been just there. Glad some animators are going to get paid though, so that's a plus.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Live action is only worth it for Lindsay Ellis' eventual dissection of why it's a soulless cash grab

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"why bother when the only good one is the jungle book" "wow shut up shill" is not the exchange I expected to read this morning

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Disney is clearly gonna run through the back catalogue and remake all of their classics cause it's easy money.

I'll say what I say everytime, I don't want this shit but it'll make loads of money. Nightmare specifically has a huge following.
THen in another 20s years time they will all be remade once again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ah yes, the Disney train of "let's take magical animated films and remake them as mundane "live action" properties no one would watch if not for nostalgia".

Can't say I'm excited, but I also can't say I'm mad or anything either. Every Disney live action film thus far has kind of been just there. Glad some animators are going to get paid though, so that's a plus.

To be fair, Favreau's Jungle Book is likely better than the original animated film. Beauty and the Beast certainly wasn't better though.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Favreau's Jungle Book is likely better than the original animated film. Beauty and the Beast certainly wasn't better though.
Nah. The original Jungle Book is a classic, and Favreau's version was eh at best. Definitely the best of the Disney CGI films thus far, but that ain't saying much.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
How long before Disney starts making animated remakes of their live action remakes?

I wish I could say that I'm 100% joking here, but...

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Disney is clearly gonna run through the back catalogue and remake all of their classics cause it's easy money.

I'll say what I say everytime, I don't want this shit but it'll make loads of money. Nightmare specifically has a huge following.

Yeah, fuck all these mediocre Disney remakes. They getting the bag tho

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that "New Disney's Rennaissance" was shorter than expected. Now we are back to where we were before during the late 90s/00s, but instead of needless sequels, it's "live-action" remakes.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is Disney going to actually do it live action, where you see actual real actors, or are they going to do it all cgi and then say it's live action?

Disney needs to make live action movies more like "Enchanted" and less like Jungle Book/Beauty and the Beast, that are like 90%+ full cgi.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I've always thought this would lend itself well to a broadway style production. Like what Julie Taymor did with The Lion King. Expand on the soundtrack with some additional songs, use creepy abstract imagery and puppets and I could really see it working.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely enough within that world to explore but it really should just be a sequel / prequel rather than a live action remake

We've always enjoyed it but after going to Disneyland for the first time and seeing Haunted Mansion Holiday I'm now down for anything we can get!

On that note just give me the Del Toro Haunted Mansion film or revive the Haunted Mansion cartoon that was planned

Last edited:

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really interested in this. I'd like a Guillermo del Toro-led Black Cauldron though.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this have to get approval from Tim Burton? Doesn't he technically own the copyright on all these characters?

I thought that Burton was the one that had shut down all previous attempts at sequels and Broadway musical versions of Nightmare Before Christmas?

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CoWZ05t.gif

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Get Del Toro to do it. You have to go ALL IN though.

Disney is just looking for an excuse to make more merchandise for it.

Oct 29, 2017
Only way i could see this working is if it wasn't live action but full cg like Lion King and made to resemble the original animation style in a faithful way. But like every other Disney remake...why?

They're not going to stop doing it until the movies flop consistently. Disney can't hear all the wailing and teeth-gnashing online through their money phones. :p

I really enjoyed The Jungle Book but this is going too far.

It's like that time Disney released direct-to-DVD sequels to all their older cartoons and they were fucking awful.

Why take a risk and make something new and exciting when you can just keep remaking the same shit over and over again.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Well if Disney doesn't let Danny Elfman sing all the songs they need to burn in hell.

Actually I won't accept anything but deaged Danny Elfman playing Jack.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the original is just Tim Burton's brilliant aesthetic and some good songs mixed with a pretty boring and predictable plot and character dynamics. It's not that interesting a film beyond how it exploded in pop culture relevance again.

It's not the worst idea to try and get more out of the concept or aesthetic if you have a good idea for it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is stop motion more expensive that regular CG? Can they not just do whatever it is the Lego movies are doing?

The Lego movies are CGI. I don't like the extra detail they put on the bricks. You'd have to run all of your bricks through a cement mixer full of sand to get them looking remotely like that.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Does this have to get approval from Tim Burton? Doesn't he technically own the copyright on all these characters?

I thought that Burton was the one that had shut down all previous attempts at sequels and Broadway musical versions of Nightmare Before Christmas?
I've mentioned it a couple times but I'm almost positive you're correct. I know for certain based on people who've worked for Disney that they have wanted to make a sequel, I believe the reasoning they haven't yet is because they can't unless Burton gives the ok.

Let's not kid ourselves that Disney wouldn't have run it into the ground by now if they could have, TV shows, sequels, you name it. They already made video game and comic book sequels, they just can't make another movie.

Edit: Whoops somehow quoted the wrong person, sorry!

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Some Goth's will be happy with this news, but some Goths will call it a sell out no doubt. đź’€

Eh sure why not, Disney are about to remake everything anyway, the original doesn't disappear if this comes out, I mean I don't like the look of the new Aladdin, so instead of watching it, I can just put the Animated version on again to watch.

As already suggested get Doug Jones in whether for CGI capture or Actual live Action acting and then you get whomever to do his voicover & singing.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I kinda want to see this because Jack and Halloween Town would look creepy af in live action (if they did it properly of course). And I wouldn't mind a sequel in general, because there are other holiday towns they can go to.

This'd be a good starting point, but live action Jack would need to be even taller and thinner

Actually, rather than full live action they should do some partial live action and partial CG. Basically try and tap into some uncanny valley with the designs

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I wish we could somehow decide as a society to collectively stop seeing these live action remakes. They're almost all garbage and do little to nothing to improve their source material.

But as long as people keeping seeing 'em Disney will keep making 'em.