• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Now we know why tlou2 had to be moved. Sales would have been dwarfed by dreams.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do you really believe they're going to spend 10 year supporting a game if it doesn't sell well?

I view Dreams more as a platform than a game, and I'm certain Media Molecule and Sony do as well. You don't just release a platform and call it a day, you continue to improve upon it, nurture it and do your best to make it blossom. IMO Dreams will be the closest thing to a Youtube of video games that we'll have for the foreseeable future.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I view Dreams more as a platform than a game, and I'm certain Media Molecule and Sony do as well. You don't just release a platform and call it a day, you continue to improve upon it, nurture it and do your best to make it blossom. IMO Dreams will be the closest thing to a Youtube of video games that we'll have for the foreseeable future.
I didn't say they might release it and call it a day. I just asked if expecting 10 years of support would be likely if the game doesn't sell well.

It would seem likely to me that if the game sells poorly at some point this project would have to become a smaller focus of the Media Molecule studio.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't say they might release it and call it a day. I just asked if expecting 10 years of support would be likely if the game doesn't sell well.

It would seem likely to me that if the game sells poorly at some point this project would have to become a smaller focus of the Media Molecule studio.

The way I see it going is that once the game launches they'll have a dedicated group of people to support it while the rest of the studio looks to create their next title. That title might be created using the Dreams tools or the traditional way, who knows, but I don't think the entire studio will be needed to support the game once it launches. MAYBE they'll need a lot of people on hand for launches to other platforms like PC since it seems likely that'll happen, plus additional upgrades for the PS5 variant of Dreams.

Considering they've put so much effort into developing this engine for Dreams though and we know they're looking at options for people to publish their own works outside of Dreams, I wouldn't be surprised if MM's future games are built right inside of Dreams and sold as separate titles.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Hoo boy. I was really hoping to have my Dreams project completed by the time it released, but I'll be hard-pressed to have it done by then.

But, hey, it's nice to know when the GOTG officially releases anyway.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played around with the engine but my small game would take too much of my time with school

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
what your project man?

It's a fan project - an Aqua Teen Hunger Force game to be exact. I've primarily just been working on character models and environments so far, and I have a couple animations going. It's a sort of simplified point-and-click adventure that's primarily a vehicle for the comedy of the show. I've got the puzzles mapped out and a script largely written. I was making a lot of progress, but I got bogged down by some of the game's limitations (that I just need to figure out; people have done far more detailed stuff, I just need to figure out what methods they used) as well as...several free/cheap months of GamePass. Stupid incredible value subscriptions...

Anyway, here are a couple of pics from what I've worked on. These are older shots. I've got multiple other characters done and more of the surrounding environment finished. Been keeping most of my work under wraps a bit, heh. I just want to show most of it off once it's finished. :)

aVfjmxg.jpg

Ngi7lzP.jpg

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
If true it would be a great BD present for myself.

Oct 30, 2017
So I guess next episode of State of Play is due end of this month or sometimes before mid of next month... we should get Dreams release date announcement there.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I don't suppose MM has said anything else about whether VR would be there at launch? I know that was the plan.