• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Could be old information where DLC 1 was planned for Feb 2024 and DLC 2 for 2025 that has since been combined into a much bigger single DLC launching somewhere in Q2-3 2024.

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
Yup, they gave themselves an out with the asterix. They were just estimating, basically.

I wonder if Elden Ring is just going to get constant DLC? Maybe they will just continue to expand on it.
Elden Ring with constant dlc that you'd have to pay for, would that make it a GAAS? Would I then have to shit on it every chance I get for internet points? šŸ˜±

Jokes aside, I'll take any ER content I can get. I think it's the apex of From's RPG design philosophy and a hypothetical ER2 would not hit as hard as there really isn't much more room for innovation imo.

Feb 5, 2018
Elden Ring with constant dlc that you'd have to pay for, would that make it a GAAS? Would I then have to shit on it every chance I get for internet points? šŸ˜±

Jokes aside, I'll take any ER content I can get. I think it's the apex of From's RPG design philosophy and a hypothetical ER2 would not hit as hard as there really isn't much more room for innovation imo.
Yep, Id rather Elden Ring be one complete, self contained game with no sequels, just make a new world thats even better for us to get lost in lol.

Tyranitar

Aug 3, 2023
Exactly, I don't think that FROM will launch the DLC for their biggest game without a 4-5 month marketing cycle.

I read the RELEASE: ELDEN RING ANNIVERSARY just as that, the controllers will be released close to the game 2 year anniversary, everything else is not that clear.

With the amount of people out there openly clamoring for the DLC, do they even need a 4-5 month hype cycle? Announcing a month out, maybe two, is all they'll need.

Whether or not these controllers are part of the release campaign is up for debate, and therefore a release on the anniversary is up for debate. I'm just saying they don't need a huge ramp up period for dlc that's going to do gangbusters even if it's shadow dropped.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I kept my save at end game, instead I went into NG+ and lost all appetite for continuing. I don't really fancy going through all the game again on either that save or a new game just to get to the DLC. Hopefully you can access it whenever.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
With the amount of people out there openly clamoring for the DLC, do they even need a 4-5 month hype cycle? Announcing a month out, maybe two, is all they'll need.
It will help create more discussion on the game, and help sales for a while. Of course, they have already announced it, so it's realistic to expect them to announce the date closer to the release , but considering that lots of players will start a new run to be up to the DLC required level (this is speculation considering older FROM DLCs of course), and how long it is, I think that announcing the date with more time can help its marketing. As you said it will sell either way, but if they shadow drop it tomorrow I won't be able to play it if it is like other FROM DLCs, also for what we expect to be a lengthy adventure, knowing in advance when it launches to have a clear schedule can be helpful.

Feb 5, 2018
It will help create more discussion on the game, and help sales for a while. Of course, they have already announced it, so it's realistic to expect them to announce the date closer to the release , but considering that lots of players will start a new run to be up to the DLC required level (this is speculation considering older FROM DLCs of course), and how long it is, I think that announcing the date with more time can help its marketing. As you said it will sell either way, but if they shadow drop it tomorrow I won't be able to play it if it is like other FROM DLCs, also for what we expect to be a lengthy adventure, knowing in advance when it launches to have a clear schedule can be helpful.
Just an FYI, other From DLCs have extremely short marketing cycles:

- DS1 - Artotias: Announced months before in April 2011 (like Shadow of the Erdtree), but not revealed until 1 month before release (September to October 2011)

- DS2 - Lost Crowns Trilogy: Announed/Revealed 1 month before (June 2014) each DLC released every month after (July, August, September 2014)

- Bloodborne - Old Hunters: 2 month announcement/reveal to release window (September to November 2015)

- DS3 - Ashes of Ariandel: 2 month window (August 2016-October 2016)

- DS3 - Ringed City: 2 month window January 2017 to March 2017.

So its not unheard of and they definitely seem to not like reveal to release windows to not be longer than 2 months. However, I know this expansion is far bigger than any other DLC theyve done, so who knows.

Tyranitar

Aug 3, 2023

Actually that's a really good point. Lotta players will want to start a new file to make a run through the main game again, then finishing right as the DLC drops. Based on the response below yours, I'm still inclined to believe the reveal-to-release window will be closer to 2 months than 4 or 5, but the point you raise would justify a longer window imo

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Could be old information where DLC 1 was planned for Feb 2024 and DLC 2 for 2025 that has since been combined into a much bigger single DLC launching somewhere in Q2-3 2024.
This is what my guess would be. Instead of doing "DLCs" they likely figured do a "Monster Hunter Iceborne" expansion style release would be better.

As you can effectively sell that as almost a sequel just like that game did.

So we're absolutely gonna see a new retail SKU and probably a new CE as well for this "complete" edition due to the size of the total expansion.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
Part of me is saying please be true, and another part is saying please release later in the year because there are way too games already...

Though if this comes out in Feb it takes priority over anything else

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
We literally had two DLCs for major AAA games get shadowdropped within the past week.

But no Elden Ring releasing it's DLC in February with no announcement is totally unbelievable.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
That Starfield controller came out months before the game, so this means fuck all except that maybe at one point the DLC was schedueld for Feb 2024.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if FROM had enough of Geoff and his lack of security to not support his show.

It was their stage (at the moment) the clown invaded last year.

FROM is big enough to shake the gaming world on just their own.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So its not unheard of and they definitely seem to not like reveal to release windows to not be longer than 2 months. However, I know this expansion is far bigger than any other DLC theyve done, so who knows.
If they were confident in a February release, why don't show the trailer at TGA? They have in fact revealed the gameplay of the base game in another Geoff show, TGA is quite big and would make a reveal like this even bigger. This is one of the reasons I don't think the game is to be released early next year.

I think that what makes more sense for this one is to release a gameplay trailer early 2024 with a release date for summer/fall (for the reasons I explained on the other post), then do some kind of promotion like a GOTY edition with both the game and the DLC.

Considering how long is taking to release this DLC (all previous FROM DLC were released quite close to the base games), they surely want to make it a big success and to use it to keep selling the base game, in fact the time between the base game and the DLC will be bigger than the time between Dark Souls II and III (and yeah Bloodborne was released between both ), so I think they will treat it more as a new game and less like their older DLC.

Feb 5, 2018
If they were confident in a February release, why don't show the trailer at TGA? They have in fact revealed the gameplay of the base game in another Geoff show, TGA is quite big and would make a reveal like this even bigger. This is one of the reasons I don't think the game is to be released early next year.

I think that what makes more sense for this one is to release a gameplay trailer early 2024 with a release date for summer/fall (for the reasons I explained on the other post), then do some kind of promotion like a GOTY edition with both the game and the DLC.

Considering how long is taking to release this DLC (all previous FROM DLC were released quite close to the base games), they surely want to make it a big success and to use it to keep selling the base game, in fact the time between the base game and the DLC will be bigger than the time between Dark Souls II and III (and yeah Bloodborne was released between both ), so I think they will treat it more as a new game and less like their older DLC.
Oh I dont think its releasing in Feb, just saying that when they reveal it fully (gameplay/story trailer), itll be a short window of release.

Imo, itll be a summer reveal for a fall release next year

Jan 9, 2018
I'd imagine this was February and got pushed or we would have gotten info at the game awards unless they are working with Xbox on doing something early next year

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I have purposely not finished ER just so I can jump right into the DLC. I've been waiting for almost two years to finish this game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ni hall effect sticks?
Fuck your controller then

Also genuinely surprised that even a handful of you haven't heard of Thrustmaster, they're one of the most prolific gaming accessory manufacturers of all time.

Last edited:

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Its very possible that they just arent bothering to make a trailer. Its time and money they don't need to spend
No way they wouldn't for ER, all the other DLCs got trailers and what not. Their announcement tweet with just the picture alone got nearly half a million likes on twitter.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
The February release date sounds like the absolute earliest it can possibly release. I doubt it would release on February based on recent comments by Kitao

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I have purposely not finished ER just so I can jump right into the DLC. I've been waiting for almost two years to finish this game.
Finishing it (as in, beating the final boss and watching the credits) doesn't take you to NG+ automatically, you manually go there and can still play after. So go ahead and finish it lol

Dec 19, 2022
Keep in mind that Kadokawa, the owner of FS, in their fiscal year forecast for FY2023 have not included the Elden Ring DLC, but put it under 'medium to long term', which strongly suggests a release not before April 2024.
P81K0af.png

Producer Yasuhiro Kitao also mentioned in a recent interview that a release is not going to happen soon.
game.watch.impress.co.jp

ćƒ•ćƒ­ćƒ ćƒ»åŒ—å°¾ę°ć€ŒELDEN RING怍DLC恫čØ€åŠć€‚ć€Œć¾ć å°‘ć—å…ˆć«ćŖć‚Šć¾ć™ćŒć€é€²ę—ćÆ順čŖæ恧恙怍 怌PS Award 2023ć€ćƒ”ćƒ‡ć‚£ć‚¢ć‚¤ćƒ³ć‚æćƒ“ćƒ„ćƒ¼ć‚’å®Ÿę–½

怀ć‚ÆćƒŖć‚Ø悤ć‚æćƒ¼ć®å‰µä½œę“»å‹•ć«ę•¬ę„ć‚’č”Øć—ć€ćƒ—ćƒ¬ć‚¤ć‚¹ćƒ†ćƒ¼ć‚·ćƒ§ćƒ³å‘ć‘ć«ē™ŗå£²ć•ć‚ŒćŸćƒ’ćƒƒćƒˆć‚æć‚¤ćƒˆćƒ«ć«č³žć‚’č“ˆå‘ˆć™ć‚‹ć€ŒPlayStation Partner Awardsć€ć€‚åˆä»£ćƒ—ćƒ¬ć‚¤ć‚¹ćƒ†ćƒ¼ć‚·ćƒ§ćƒ³ćŒē™ŗå£²ć•ć‚ŒćŸ1994å¹“ć‹ć‚‰å§‹ć¾ć‚Šć€ä»Šå¹“ć§é€šē®—29回ē›®ć®é–‹å‚¬ćØćŖć£ćŸć€‚

Could still turn up to be true, but should be taken with a huge grain of salt (though unlikely imho).

Last edited:

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
If this were to come out in feb 2024 then they would've showed us something at the TGA. So I don't believe it. Probably mid-late 2024 instead.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
ER also released in February, specifically on my birthday which made me pretty happy and FROM has clearly taken note. Based Miyazaki.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
If this were to come out in feb 2024 then they would've showed us something at the TGA. So I don't believe it. Probably mid-late 2024 instead.
i was thinking this too. clearly Geoff has a good relationship with FROM not only getting Sekiro teaser but also Elden Ring trailer.

but maybe they have outgrown him with Elden Ring.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I think SotE is turning into a Tears of the Kingdom situation and will turn into a full sequel.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
As desperate as I am for the Elden Ring expansion, I really hope it doesn't come out until a few months after Dragon's Dogma II. It took so long for Dogma to get a second chance, I really don't want it to get steamrolled during its launch month by Shadow of the Erdtree.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Naaah, they would have announced it already.

January and February are so busy because of all the big jRPGs, I hope it's not true :P

zeta50

Apr 24, 2023
Sorry for the Up of the Topic (I wasn't sure about creating a new topic), not necessarely related but:

app.png

FROM added a new App (Name Unknown) in the DLC section of SteamDB.
It was created 5 days ago, but only today it's been linked to the DLC Section.

It's curious because every "DLC" listed here is preorder or paid content (the Colosseum Update is not listed here).