• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
https://segmentnext.com/2019/01/21/report-it-looks-like-fallout-76-could-go-free-to-play/

Fallout 76 has had a rough launch but no one really knew how bad the situation isuntil reports of the game possibly going free to play started surfacing. The news remains unconfirmed but it looks like preparations for Fallout 76 going free to play are possibly underway. EB Games, one of the biggest video game retailers in Australia is reportedly removing physical copies of Fallout 76 from its shelves.

Still unconfirmed but would be the crowning jewel of this game's month long train wreck .

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
*cries into my $200 collectors edition helmet, without any canvas to dry my tears*

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If they do go F2P, what about the people who dropped cash to play a broken game? Will they get $5 worth of Atoms as compensation?

Gerhalt

Oct 27, 2017
Costco Canada has it on clearance right now for $20. But Costco is a unique store that only carries a couple games at a time so they may just be clearing out remaining stock.

shancake

Managing Editor ā€‘ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I heard about this happening in Australia from sources about a week ago, but don't think it has anything to do with the game going FTP. It's simply linked with EB Games opting to take advantage of being able to send majority of their stock back to the publisher to get a rebate. To say they have no more stock of the base game isn't true at all. Stores kept some stock on hand.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be worth a try when it's free. Sucks for people who bought it though.

I get the feeling based on current rumors that this will probably turn into hefty microtransaction hell in order to compensate for the already low sales and with it no longer being a buy to play game.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if instead of becoming free they just admit they fucked up and give refunds?

I feel like nothing less of a Final Fantasy 14 style "lets just make a new game" strategy will turn this around.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
That was quick. Deserves it and its an absolute shame. The map and locations I saw were interesting...everything else about the game was a mess.

NPCs, better quests and private servers would do wonders for this.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
As long as they refund everyone... (they'll probably just give them some special items in-game).

Honestly, I think the only way to redeem this would be to pull a full Final Fantasy XIV: stop selling the game, rebuild it entirely and start again with something fresh. They could even create an event for it where a big nuke destroys everything (again) and start over, fits perfectly.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I heard about this happening in Australia from sources about a week ago, but don't think it has anything to do with the game going FTP. It's simply linked with EB Games opting to take advantage of being able to send majority of their stock back to the publisher to get a rebate. To say they have no more stock of the base game isn't true at all. Stores kept some stock on hand.

It does come across as a bit of narrative-validating speculation. And I say that as someone who thought the game wasn't good at all.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Damn, I mean I have to look at my old postings where I predicted this game to go down somewhere this year (maybe even talked about F2P?). But we have still January. Jesus Christ.
But, well deserved. Hope it happens.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Bring it to steam and I'll give it a try. Come on Bethesda I know you wanna.

Leave Bethesda early access for Steam early access.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
I don't see the reason for it though. I mean it's became a bad joke at this point. Anyone who was genuinely interested in already bought it and those who haven't are probably not going to spend any money on the Bethesda store.

The main loop of the game has been already discussed immensely over the past couple of months already and it certainly doesn't warrant any further long-term engagement from newcomers. Team Fortress 2 made sense, Overwatch would make sense. This, I don't see the point.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Huh. I wonder if they could Realm Reborn this thing. Obviously that one didn't go F2P but what I mean by that is a massive rebranding and relaunch. But maybe it's just not worth the effort.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

I guess we're all ignoring this post.

Even though I bought the game I wouldn't be mad if it were to go F2P at some point, though.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. There has been soo much BS surrounding this game, with people making up stuff about it just to stir up the hivemind.

The F2P rumors, in particular, started a couple weeks after release, if that long.

also, without PvE-only servers, the last thing is game needs is all the griefers that come along with F2P games.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Even if f2p, the game sounds bad enough that I don't even consider giving it a try. That's the kind of rep this game has gotten for me.

Back when they had a "B.E.T.A. test" I called it early access and to me it still IS because they had enabled progress from then till now. Why they are pretending this is a complete game is a mystery in the state it is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.