• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thanks to koozek for providing this in the other thread
Saw some interesting comments on Reddit in the thread about this interview from a user named Dan Tsukasa, a Game Dev/3D Artist working in Japan (he's followed by Swery and ex-FFXV Lead Designer Wan Hazmer on Twitter). There are some technical comments on VFX creation in Unreal and stuff, but I'm just gonna quote his comments about FFVIIR's development and the issues he heard about from when it was still developed by CyberConnect2 1-2 years ago.

Source.
Dan_Tsukasa said:
Absolutely, dealing with Nomura on a daily basis must be the biggest hurdle. I'm amazed anything got done as it is.
Nomura is barely ever there, he's director largely in name alone. He spends the vast majority if his time in Osaka on KH3, as thats where he lives, during the week at least.
Dan_Tsukasa said:
They don't have 4 years of work, they have 2. The announcement that square was taking the game away from Cyberconnect2, they didn't take it away and continue it, they started it again because cyber connects work was just so useless and not far enough along, but still far enough along that remaking it was faster than refactoring it... (it wasn't in a good state at all).

TLDR:its not 4 years
Dan_Tsukasa said:
I'll explain it this way. When has a company taking work away from another company ever been a positive sign of things? I know CyberConnects work was unusable, I've worked with them before, i know their level.

And i know they outsourced to hell and back in order to get things to the point we saw them publicly, and it still wasn't enough to save them.
Dan_Tsukasa said:
I'm not speculating though. Ive worked with these people and know people working still at both square and CC2, I'm explaining what happened from what I know.
Dan_Tsukasa said:
Core is systems and the like, not usually assets.

That said, It could be far along, it depends how much they're outsourcing and how optimised their workflow is. As the FFXV workflow was super inefficient for a hell of a long time, if thats improved and if they're doing things modularly like I imagine then its certainly possible they're far along with the first release.
Dan_Tsukasa said:
So you know the people working on the game?
Yup, its the game industry in Tokyo, squares so large its rare to meet someone who doesn't know anyone there.

I'm unsure how to prove it though, I can't get into any issues by saying what I've heard, or whats common knowledge in the industry here (the common knowledge being that the project was taken from CC2 because it was so behind schedule), but if I were to name anyone working there, they'd get into trouble for sharing information, the same way I'd get into trouble if I shared information about where I work.

So with that said, I can only prove I work in the game industry in Japan, can't prove who I do and don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.