• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even lol $50 for a PS1 game.

It's holy shit $50 when the remasters of the other two PS1 games were priced at half that on PSN when they came out. And why FFVIII and not either of the other two? Or are they coming too sometime down the line?

Now $50 for all three of them on a disc or switch cart? I'm in.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably getting a $250 Square Enix store exclusive with a Play Arts figure of Pupu and Squall's Ring

They've already confirmed no Chocobo world

tenor.gif

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The physical versions were popping up since the first announcement. Will be interesting to see if there is a collectors version.
Probably getting a $250 Square Enix store exclusive with a Play Arts figure of Pupu and Squall's Ring

tenor.gif
Eh it's not a big deal. They've made all the items available through Angelo Search.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I would normally be very happy about this (Physical release), but, since they didn't do it with VII and IX, this is worthless to me. Since I already bought VII and IX on the Switch in digital (the only way to get them), then a single box with VIII does nothing at this point.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Why are people comparing this to the bare bones releases of VII and IX? It's clearly using enhanced character models and backgrounds. To expect this for $20 is unrealistic. Even without VA.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people comparing this to the bare bones releases of VII and IX? It's clearly using enhanced character models and backgrounds. To expect this for $20 is unrealistic. Even without VA.
The backgrounds don't look enhanced at all though, and the people handling the ports are the same team who did the FFVII re release. From everything they've shown us it looks JUST like the previous releases but with new character models (which IX had too, just not as nice).

So at face value $50 is wayyy too much. But it also suggests to me that there's more they've not announced yet. So fingers crossed!

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Because while the enhanced character models look good, this remaster also seems quite bare bones just like the VII and IX remasters. We don't have many details to work with, but with the current features advertised $20 is the upper limit of what I'd pay for this. Add in some more substantial improvements and changes and then $30 might become feasible

$50 is ridiculous unless there's some massive overhaul and upgrades planned (like the rumoured voice acting)

Last edited:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
There's rumours it's to be voiced? I'd absolutely love that.
(Touch up the script a bit first though yeah?)

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This is more about the voice thing but I got this email on the 28th:
SEA_FFVIII_ICYMI_CRM_06.jpg

SEA_FFVIII_ICYMI_CRM_07.jpg

which doesn't mention the voice overs. I know if it's a surprise reveal they probably wouldn't do it through an email update but I still can't see VA happening unless battle only. I do love the proper focus on 20th Anniversary now. <3

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I saw this thread and read FFVII. I would love a physical release of that for current gen T_T

Will buy FFVIII day 1 as well.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Lol, 50€ for some facial reskin and nothing more.
Square did exactly the same with FFIX and the remastered is 21€. This is more than double the price.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, 50€ for some facial reskin and nothing more.
Square did exactly the same with FFIX and the remastered is 21€. This is more than double the price.
The chance of this being $50 with just updated visuals is very small. If the price ends up being $50 then it will have a lot more than just that.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, if VA really is in and considering the model updates, it might be worth $50

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is there a set standard on what a game can be priced at that corresponds to how old it is? I'd like to know so I too can shitpost with "LOL $50 for an PSX game?"
Yes, but I don't think you'd be able to understand the math since you clearly haven't figured out how quotes work either. You're already doing an excellent job of shit-posting as well, but I'm guessing you think attempting to start an argument is somehow intelligent and needed and not actually shit-posting.

$50 is absurd price for what's been presented. It's a lackluster remaster of an old game that at this point looks like very little went into. I could be wrong, but i'm guessing the price will be more reasonable stateside.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I don't think you'd be able to understand the math since you clearly haven't figured out how quotes work either. You're already doing an excellent job of shit-posting as well, but I'm guessing you think attempting to start an argument is somehow intelligent and needed and not actually shit-posting.

$50 is absurd price for what's been presented. It's a lackluster remaster of an old game that at this point looks like very little went into. I could be wrong, but i'm guessing the price will be more reasonable stateside.

Amazing non-answer. I see lots of posts in threads about older games about how they shouldn't be x amount of dollars because they're y years old and no one can provide a pricing model on exactly HOW they are supposed to be priced.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Amazing non-answer. I see lots of posts in threads about older games about how they shouldn't be x amount of dollars because they're y years old and no one can provide a pricing model on exactly HOW they are supposed to be priced.
Personally, I'm basing this scenario on FF7 and FF9 remasters which were released earlier at less than half the supposed $50 of this. FF9 costed more but it had more work done to character models and such. FF8 had much uglier character models so they needed more work, but I don't see that more than doubling the price of the game, so unless these VA rumors are also true, I sincerely hope the $50 rumor is also not true. I'm going to get it either way, that's why I just say I hope.

(I know this wasn't directed at me entirely, but I did give my opinion on $50 being too much so I figured I'd weigh in.)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of people complaining about paying 40 bucks for Chrono Trigger DS. Literally one of the best games of all time, that released for closer to 100 bucks, somehow wasn't worth $40 13 years later with an all new translation, the only good features from the PS1 port, and even some new content.

FF VIII while not quite on the level of Chrono Trigger is still an all time great and it'll sell well enough that they'll do the same with VII and put it on a Blu-ray/Switch Card for people who like that.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
While VIII is the one I'm least interested in, I'd still buy it physically!

And then hope it encouraged them to do the other 2 as well, VII on cart needs to happen!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
$50? Hm, will have to wait for more verification on this before jumping to any conclusions. Junction me to your Gil stat if true, though.
Lol.
How much are you worth though ?
Triple level of good or one of the stupid magics given by these plants in the training garden ?
Also, you are 1, not 99, so...
You might not give enough gil to pay for the remaster.

Huh, why do I care actually o.O ?
It's a PSX game. So even worse, lol.
You probably meant "even better".
I could understand the confusion : D.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I will wait to see what the developer have to say before I start throwing stones. They said they will be showing more over the next few months. If it was just new models they wouldn't of said that.

It will probably be SDCC or Gamescom.