• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9-launch-fortnite-mobile-ninja/

This information comes from a trusted source who has been a reliable source of information in the past. According to the information he has provided us, the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 launch is going to be based around Fortnite. The launch video for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is also going to be based around Fortnite Mobile. The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is going to be the first phone to launch and have Fortnite Mobile on it. According to our source, anyone that buys the Galaxy Note 9 is also going to get some free V-Bucks, free skins, and more. V-Bucks are used to buy a battle pass and skins, dances, or gliders in the game. This will all be bundled with the phone when it launches.

The new smart S Pen is also going to have integration into Fortnite. Our source was not able to play the game but was told that there will be S Pen integration with the new Bluetooth Smart S Pen. It will likely be used for shooting or aiming or something along those lines.

Our source tells us that Samsung and Epic Games are also going to try to work with the Twitch Streamer Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins to help launch the phone. There are talks of getting him to Samsung Unpacked 2018 to help with the announcement.

So... i'm not one that is that familiar with fortnite besides its popularity, but i've always though the folks playing mobile are like middle/highschoolers.... not folks that buy $950 'business' smartphones with a stylus.

Anyways, expect android fortnite for everyone else end of september, or earlier depending on what security checks it has in place that prevents ppl from just sideloading the apk.

Something about a stylus for a shooter seems legit though... i remember being pretty good at metroid prime hunters and some call of duty game i had on ds.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb to see it "exclusive", but 30 days isn't so bad. It's even worse because Epic is making so much money, why delay it on other phones for $$$?

With that being said I'm excited to see the S9, any leaks yet?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So... i'm not one that is that familiar with fortnite besides its popularity, but i've always though the folks playing mobile are like middle/highschoolers.... not folks that buy $950 'business' smartphones with a stylus.
High end phones have always been about being trendy/cool. Them being business tools is secondary and always has been.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to restrict it to the S9 if the apk is out ?
Doesnt make any sense...i can see them having a cross-promotion deal with Samsung for market - but exclusive to a specific device ? Nah.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="cw_sasuke, post: 10819993, member: 11936"]How are they going to restrict it to the S9 if the apk is out ?
Doesnt make any sense...i can see them having a cross-promotion deal with Samsung for market - but exclusive to a specific device ? Nah.[/QUOTE]
Was wondering the same exact thing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an idiotic move, rather than instantly have tens of millions of extra players they'll get a check from Samsung to limit the userbase to... thousands? I mean, it's not like every person who gets such a phone will care about Fortnite. Like they even need that money, I am pretty sure they make more money weekly than what this offer is bringing them.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are they going to restrict it to the S9 if the apk is out ?
Doesnt make any sense...i can see them having a cross-promotion deal with Samsung for market - but exclusive to a specific device ? Nah.
Most people won't go through the trouble of getting a modified version outside the Google or Samsung Play store.

Samsung has had similar promotions with other games this is just the largest one - there's a Galaxy back and free packs for Hearthstone if you log in via a Galaxy.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I wonder how much money Samsung offered to them for this deal to be exclusive for 30 days. Seems like a truly bizarre promotion.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
What an idiotic move, rather than instantly have tens of millions of extra players they'll get a check from Samsung to limit the userbase to... thousands? I mean, it's not like every person who gets such a phone will care about Fortnite. Like they even need that money, I am pretty sure they make more money weekly than what this offer is bringing them.
They already have millions of users, and made a billion dollars. They don't need anything. This is Samsung being desperate, not Epic. Can't wait 30 days?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Because not everyone Elena downloads APK from random websites and still prefer using Google Play store.
Most people won't go through the trouble of getting a modified version outside the Google or Samsung Play store.

Its 2018 - everyone interested in playing this on their phone will find the link to the game/apk/idiot-proof reddit guide 3sec after typing it into their Google search bar.

This is more a marketing deal than anything, everyone interested will be able to play it on their phone one way or another.

Most people wont go through the trouble - because they rarely have to. But for a game like Fortnite ? They will sideload that app instead of waiting. I means it good for Epic, collecting that bag from Samsung...but at the end of the day its a non-issue for anyone somewhat interested in playing it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its 2018 - everyone interested in playing this on their phone will find the link to the game/apk/idiot-proof reddit guide 3sec after typing it into their Google search bar.

This is more a marketing deal than anything, everyone interested will be able to play it on their phone one way or another.

Most people wont go through the trouble - because they rarely have to. But for a game like Fortnite ? They will sideload that app instead of waiting. I means it good for Epic, collecting that bag from Samsung...but at the end of the day its a non-issue for anyone somewhat interested in playing it.
If this was true people wouldn't pay for movies/music on itunes, google play, etc. But they do.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already have millions of users, and made a billion dollars. They don't need anything. This is Samsung being desperate, not Epic. Can't wait 30 days?

I can wait even 300 days considering I already play on Xbox One X at home and on Switch outside of it. Just saying it seems like a stupid move, unless of course Samsung offered an absolute ridiculous amount of money to Epic who thought "well, that was a freebie" and went on with it.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Well that's one way to sell a phone that's been associated with blowing up in the past.

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool! I've always avoided Fortnite, because of the cartoony visuals. I've been patiently waiting for the new Note, so this seems like a great incentive for me to try the game out.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If this was true people wouldn't pay for movies/music on itunes, google play, etc. But they do.

What a weird comparison.....downloading a apk for a f2p mobile titles isnt the same a pirating movies or music.
Any gamer interested in playing Fortnite on their phone will get it asap - thats all im saying. Its only a restriction for the most casual users.

You really underestimating what people are willing to do nowadays for games they care about - just look what "casuals" are willing to do to get everything in Pokemon GO. Sideloading a file is nothing for the audience that would be interested in playing Fortnite on their phones.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird comparison.....downloading a apk for a f2p mobile titles isnt the same a pirating movies or music.
Any gamer interested in playing Fortnite on their phone will get it asap - thats all im saying. Its only a restriction for the most casual users.

You really underestimating what people are willing to do nowadays for games they care about - just look what "casuals" are willing to do to get everything in Pokemon GO. Sideloading a file is nothing for the audience that would be interested in playing Fortnite on their phones.
Yes it is. People pay because they don't know how to use torrents. You're greatly overestimating the technical competence of the median user.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Exactly. It takes a minute to find pirated websites and pirated games and pirated premium services like Spotify and whatnot, but those numbers never truly reflect products, especially products targetted towards kids. A lot of kids use Fortnite and there's no way they're not getting scammed by fake apps and ad-filled websites with 10 ad-loops.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017

Uh no they won't? Normal everyday people play games too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is. People pay because they don't know how to use torrents. You're greatly overestimating the technical competence of the median user.
Im talking about people interested to play Fortnite on their phones.
You think 13-15 years olds with their Android phones are waiting 30 days for the game to Google Play when friends are already playing it on their phones ?

As i said...its a marketing deal mostly. If you only learn about the game being ready/playable on phones via the Google Play Store you arent part of the audience im talking about. Im talking about the players on reddit, era etc.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
Because not everyone downloads APK from random websites and still prefer using Google Play store.
You think 13-15 years olds with their Android phones are waiting 30 days for the game to Google Play when friends are already playing it on their phones ?

As i said...its a marketing deal mostly. If you only learn about the game being ready/playable on phones via the Google Play Store you arent part of the audience im talking about. Im talking about the players on reddit, era etc.

on a side note. There are already plenty of fake fortnite android apks out there with malware, so kids probably shouldn't randomly dl and install one they find on the web.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/03/fake-fortnite-apks-dont-tricked-downloading-one/

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Their friends with iPhones have been playing it for how long? Also how many 13-15 year old is getting a Note 9? Most of them won't even care until it hits the Play Store 30 days later

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a phone for the sole reason to play Fortnite? I understand people will buy his phone, but can't imagine many of them are doing it solely for Fortnite.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

What fantasy planet do you live in where 13 year olds have notes. They don't have an android, they probably have an iphone or a cheap android.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Geez how much did Samsung pay/epic make for that? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That said I'm anti fortnight and Tim Sweeney. PUBG shall rise again...

Kinda OT but I read SAmsung is thinking of discontinuing the Note after the 9, because in general phones sales are down because people aren't upgrading. So they would just have the Galaxy S.

My experience jives with that, phones have kinda reached that
good enough" point and dont need upgrading as often. Theres almost no difference in my S8 and a S9.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Wonder if Epic are going to block Rooted Android users to play like they doing on IOS blocking Jailbroken users, there are some bypass tweaks but it's risky as Epic state they will ban your account if they catch you that's too far especially if you spent money on it

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Indtalling an .apk might be easily doable, but I doubt most people are eager to root their new $900+ phone to spoof their device identifier. Now saying they are using a device identifier is pure speculation, but it is one of the ways Sony locks remote play to their Xperia phones, so it's seems kind of a gimme.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So, like, if I'm dying to play Fortnite on mobile so bad that I'd buy a Galaxy Note 9 instead of just waiting a bit, what's to say I won't just get an iPhone instead? This seems like it's only good for Android loyalists who are obsessed with Fortnite.

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll have the same cartoony visuals on the Note 9 lol
I play those types of games all the time...on my current Note. I just can't justify it on my PCs or consoles. I've been doing this since '85 man. I'm just hanging on til we get holodeck gaming. Most of my friends have hung up there sticks.

Deleted member 16743

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its good marketing for both partners as I see it. A big stage for fortnite to reach a more mature audience (with money to spend too if they're that interested in Note 9!), will keep it in sight on sites that aren't gaming related, and Samsung gets associated with fortnite which I've heard is quite popular these days.

Nice moves.

The rumours of Samsung "gaming" phone and that they would lean on gamers for their folding phone due to price either just got stronger OR this was the source of the slightly mangled rumour.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I play those types of games all the time...on my current Note. I just can't justify it on my PCs or consoles. I've been doing this since '85 man. I'm just hanging on til we get holodeck gaming. Most of my friends have hung up there sticks.

You're missing out on a lot of amazing games with that childish attitude.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Good chance that the Note line gets god-tier battery life again too. Hopefully Fortnite is decently optimized

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this isn't the case but 30 days ain't gonna kill me when I've been waiting a good few months anyway.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Their friends with iPhones have been playing it for how long? Also how many 13-15 year old is getting a Note 9? Most of them won't even care until it hits the Play Store 30 days later

What fantasy planet do you live in where 13 year olds have notes. They don't have an android, they probably have an iphone or a cheap android.

Why the hell would anyone with a Note 9 need to sideload the app ? I'm obviously taking about Android users that wanna play the game and won't get an official release until after the 30 days.

NewDust
Sure, if they use any kind of stronger protections it will get too tricky for most users. But if the APK is all you need it shouldn't prevent many from playing on whatever Android phone they own...as long as it's powerful enough.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda crappy for Epic for doing this. iOS users can play it for like 5 months and now they are going to release it on Android, but only for one device because they signed a deal so the rest of the folks have to wait another month. I hope its just a rumor and everyone can start playing it but Note 9 users will just get vbucks and some skins.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell would anyone with a Note 9 need to sideload the app ? I'm obviously taking about Android users that wanna play the game and won't get an official release until after the 30 days.

NewDust
Sure, if they use any kind of stronger protections it will get too tricky for most users. But if the APK is all you need it shouldn't prevent many from playing on whatever Android phone they own...as long as it's powerful enough.

Epic could always do the shitty thing of checking your device with the app to see if it's whitelisted and if it's not block access to the app.

Additionally with a game like Fortnite, I can't imagine sideloading would work considering the online nature of the game. It will be on a service that checks version numbers and requires the most recent build which sideloading will not keep up to date automatically. Also if the app requires Google Play services in order to get to Epic's login, I don't believe sideloaded apps have access to that suite (I could be wrong here but sideloaded apps in the past have lacked that connectivity).

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
People's memories seem to be extremely short. The amount of side loaded apks during Pokemon Go's launch was crazy. There were giant threads on every major forum. Tons of people will side load this.

DreTheSage

Oct 27, 2017
Pensacola, FL
I tried playing Fortnite on my iPad Pro and it's just too frigging big and it won't let me aim with the Apple Pencil or use my SteelSeries MiFi controller.

I will gladly trade in my Note 8 for a Note 9 if I can aim with a stylus though.