• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

If this is true, then we may finally get actual EA support on the Switch!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Great news.

Hopefully that EA support comes through, won't name any games in particular to avoid port begging lol.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I would have to imagine a Battlefield port would strip things back to the point where there's almost a generational divide between the other platforms and that version of the game. 32 players, significantly pared back visuals and trimmed map sizes would likely be in order.

Despite all of that, I think a Battlefield game would make a killing on Switch. The multiplayer FPS space is lacking on the platform at the moment, that would take care of the appetite.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting if true. EA really didn't want to seem to bother, but with the growing install base and strong software sales, they probably couldn't continue to justify ignoring the platform to investors.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Might be a conclusion jump but I'm new years drunk so yay (for now)

thehunter1320

Oct 25, 2017
Unless this kind of info is found on a LinkedIn page of someone on the Frostbite engineering team at DICE Stockholm, I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I don't want to shit on the parade, but come on OP. It's a video of some random guy saying he saw EA's wanted ad for someone experiences to bring SDKs to to the Switch. I've no doubt EA is trying to find a way to bring it, but this is a huge jump in conclusions.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. If the guy from linkedin started in July 2018 that means that he couldn't have worked on SDKs for FIFA Switch, but something else.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Lol I don't want to shit on the parade, but come on OP. It's a video of some random guy saying he saw EA's wanted ad for someone experiences to bring SDKs to to the Switch. I've no doubt EA is trying to find a way to bring it, but this is a huge jump in conclusions.
You can Doctre81 if you think it's bs
He posts here

It's not a wanted ad. It's an employees LinkedIn
The LinkedIn seems to support the theory though. It's not the FIFA engine cause the employee is way too recent

Toasty

Oct 25, 2017
Sidewinder
I would have to imagine a Battlefield port would strip things back to the point where there's almost a generational divide between the other platforms and that version of the game. 32 players, significantly pared back visuals and trimmed map sizes would likely be in order.

Despite all of that, I think a Battlefield game would make a killing on Switch. The multiplayer FPS space is lacking on the platform at the moment, that would take care of the appetite.
Argument could be made that the smaller player count led to some of the better battlefield experiences. If I could get a 16v16 rush on switch I might think about picking up another copy.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Big doubt and even if, games wound still have to severely downgraded to run on Switch. It would be a crucial step for porting some games over, though.

Oct 27, 2017

Oh so you're the one who made the video. Like I just said, I'm sure EA is figuring out some way to bring it, but using a LinkedIn and rumors of different games isn't lending credence to the rumor. By the way, did you get Meelow to post this so you could bypass the self promotion rule?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Let's just say they have it ported for arguments sake.
I'm not sure there are that many games that would be a good fit on Switch. The two that I thought should have been considered long ago are The Sims and Garden Warfare. Might have been too long though

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Oh so you're the one who made the video. Like I just said, I'm sure EA is figuring out some way to bring it, but using a LinkedIn and rumors of different games isn't lending credence to the rumor. By the way, did you get Meelow to post this so you could bypass the self promotion rule?

I have used linkedin and other methods to find out about games coming to switch in the past. Such as fortnite and little nightmares. And no I didn't...its not that serious. You must be new around here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

lmao

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Consistent and hostile pattern of system warring and antagonizing other members; numerous accumulated infractions

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

A Battlefield port would probably end up looking and running like XC on the 3DS. I can't see any reason why EA would want to invest the time and resources in porting it. I agree this is probably for FIFA or other smaller titles but certainly not for Battlefield/Battlefront if it is true at all.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Lol, what?

No, he did not ask me to post this, I saw his video and I liked it so I posted it here.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Let's just say they have it ported for arguments sake.
I'm not sure there are that many games that would be a good fit on Switch. The two that I thought should have been considered long ago are The Sims and Garden Warfare. Might have been too long though

I'd be all over a Madden for Switch.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
EA will still somehow half-ass their ports for Nintendo consoles. Everything they put on Nintendo just feels to low effort....

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
🙄 Ok. I totally didn't hear your voice talk about the LinkedIn account and bringing SDKs to Switch. You say rumor, but you are coming at me like this information is set in stone.
Pretty sure you thought it was a job want ad 10 mins ago. I'm not gonna keep going back and forth. You believe that you want. Happy new year

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Not to nitpick, but shouldn't the title be the other way around? Nintendo Switch supported by the Frostbite Engine? I don't think it's up to the console to decide what engines run on it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Agreed. Freakin random
u1ziupR.gif

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I for one hope it's custom frostbite, I'd rather frostbite dump or scale back some of the more GPU intensive features (or create some for switch, but that sounds expensive) in order to maintain a 1080/60 experience.

I was in full support of EA using a custom engine, I just hope they can maintain a good performance and a good-enough image quality with frostbite.

I'm hoping it's a tailored optimisation experience for the switch with 60fps and image clarity in mind. I mean you need to clearly see that small ball moving around clearly.

It's a situation where developers lose either way. It's usually people complaining that sacrifices had to be made graphically to keep resolution and framerate and sacrifices some modes even, or people complain because it's cut in resolution and framerate but (almost) fully graphically featured.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting if true. EA really didn't want to seem to bother, but with the growing install base and strong software sales, they probably couldn't continue to justify ignoring the platform to investors.

A remake/remaster of Bad Company 2 + all DLC would do really well on Switch (I think max players were 32?). A Bad Company 3 game would also sell a lot on all consoles, but think the next Battlefield game will be in late 2020 with the launch of next gen.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
It is a pretty scalable engine, can't see why it would not work on Switch. I'm assuming at this point it will be for sports games. If anything outside of that comes to Switch, then it's all gravy.

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
I would love to have NHL on Switch but the game hardly sales enough for them to keep making it on PS4/XBOX

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If this means i can get 1 madden game on the Switch i will die a happy man.

Oct 27, 2017
A remake/remaster of Bad Company 2 + all DLC would do really well on Switch (I think max players were 32?). A Bad Company 3 game would also sell a lot on all consoles, but think the next Battlefield game will be in late 2020 with the launch of next gen.
I'd actually buy that, I loved Bad Company 2, played it a ton on ps3 years ago.