• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Don't make me laugh you said a integrated GPU can run Battlefield 1 and yes, it can run BF1 at 12fps if you are lucky.
Battlefield 1 running 64 players on a big ass map is way more demanding than DOOM, if you don't know what are you talking about don't make nonsense comparisons or claim things that are technically impossibile. And you are bringing a 17 years old game to try and prove your point? Are you for real?

After this i am out.
Battlefield and Battlefront are way more CPU-intensive than DOOM on consoles, period.

The Gpd Win 2 runs it. And that's without the advantage of Vulkan.
I make that comparison because check-list marks like "64 players in a big map" are nonsensical, misleading and not how game tech works. idTech games are every bit as CPU-intensive as Frostbite ones. Just look how both often become CPU-bound on consoles at similar framerates down to the 40s.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

The Gpd Win 2 runs it. And that's without the advantage of Vulkan.
I make that comparison because check-list marks like "64 players in a big map" are nonsensical, misleading and not how game tech works. idTech games are every bit as CPU-intensive as Frostbite ones. Just look how both often become CPU-bound on consoles at similar framerates down to the 40s.

"GPD Win 2 runs it", yes 720p with everything cranked on low and res scale on 55-65% but still not "60fps", if this means running good and a proof of "BF can happen on Nintendo Switch" i have nothing more to say, and claiming the 64 players as nonsenical and misleading is both funny and ironic.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is great news if true, though I figure that this is gonna be for EA's sports games so they won't have to make a separate Switch version every year.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
While I would love seeing Frostbite coming out on Switch, there is a huge, huge platform they would target at the same time, and that is mobile. EA is more likely to release Frostbite games on mobile first.

Quick look at Frostbite job postings show that almost all job postings are either in Vancouver Canada, or Stockholm, Sweden. And I'll ask you, why on earth would they develop Frostbite in U.S. instead of Sweden, where, you know, the core team is located?

I have heavy doubts of full version of whatever Frostbite version we are at at this point coming to Switch and perhaps a toned down version for Plants Vs Zombies and the like (which I personally haven't seen on Switch yet, maybe it's there already and I missed it?). Battlefield 1 and 5 though? No, can't see it happening, especially with the latter.

I make that comparison because check-list marks like "64 players in a big map" are nonsensical, misleading and not how game tech works

Please don't. Just don't.

Edit: Changed the word "whole" to "core"

Last edited:

OutToLunch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I would love seeing Frostbite coming out on Switch, there is a huge, huge platform they would target at the same time, and that is mobile. EA is more likely to release Frostbite games on mobile first.

Quick look at Frostbite job postings show that almost all job postings are either in Vancouver Canada, or Stockholm, Sweden. And I'll ask you, why on earth would they develop Frostbite in U.S. instead of Sweden, where, you know, the whole team is located.

Because the team in Sweden might be more focused on improving the engine... porting an engine doesn't require the team to be in the same location nor does it require the original people.

Oh and mobile is the future so it makes sense they would look to get it working on various mobile platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"GPD Win 2 runs it", yes 720p with everything cranked on low and res scale on 55-65% but still not "60fps", if this means running good and a proof of "BF can happen on Nintendo Switch" i have nothing more to say, and claiming the 64 players as nonsenical and misleading is both funny and ironic.
Runs about the same as DOOM does on the same machine.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't get hopes up personally speaking. But maybe EA ports like Garden Warfare or something like that.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is conclusive enough to say they're bringing Frostbite to Switch and even if it is it's probably just to improve workflow so they don't have to make an entirely different version of Fifa since that apparently keeps selling well enough to keep going. But EA's been the most skeptical about the Switch and has never had a good relationship with Nintendo like ever so probably don't take this as any indication that EA is getting serious about developing for the Switch.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Battlefield and Battlefront are not more CPU-intensive than idTech games in console.

This is not true at all. Current Idtech games are developed with vulkan in mind which is more about using the gpgpu to perform most of the tasks that the cpu would have back in the ps3-360 era. This is why vulkan games are way easier to port to switch. A game like BF is very cpu taxing game unlike Doom

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is not true at all. Current Idtech games are developed with vulkan in mind which is more about using the gpgpu to perform most of the tasks that the cpu would have back in the ps3-360 era. This is why vulkan games are way easier to port to switch. A game like BF is very cpu taxing game unlike Doom
You should go look at the technical documentation of idTech. It has first the virtual texturing stuff, where it streams all the assets in and out of memory to a page file to keep unparalleled asset variety, it then it uses that system combined with the clustered forward rendering to keep track of every object, light, texture and decal that affects each cluster, in order to keep the GPU load as low and predictable as possible. This is what allows it to have so many shadow-casting dynamic lights that interact with volumetric elements and to have such variety in assets. It's also readily scalable to bigger and bigger environments. And all of this is taxing on the CPU.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since FIFA 17, the FIFA series has used Frostbite. Switch versions used a separate engine.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Quick look at Frostbite job postings show that almost all job postings are either in Vancouver Canada, or Stockholm, Sweden. And I'll ask you, why on earth would they develop Frostbite in U.S. instead of Sweden, where, you know, the whole team is located?

Because we are an international corporation with dozens of teams located all over the world, working in different timezones, that need support in their own work hours.
Having to rely on one team in one location being available only 8 hours per day, hours that are not standard working hours for everyone not in Europe, is not very efficient nor productive.
Frostbite is being developed in many places, even though the core Frostbite teams might only be located in a few particular locations.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch will hit 40m soon and pubs like WB, Activision, Ubisoft and co. improving their efforts it would make sense for EA to stop treating the system like an unwanted stepchild.

IP wise getting Star Wars on Switch in whatever form would made alot of sense.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Because we are an international corporation with dozens of teams located all over the world, working in different timezones, that need support in their own work hours.
Having to rely on one team in one location being available only 8 hours per day, hours that are not standard working hours for everyone not in Europe, is not very efficient nor productive.
Frostbite is being developed in many places, even though the core Frostbite teams might only be located in a few particular locations.
Can you drop Frostbite for a few weeks and give me a Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusion trilogy please?

Thank would be dope :P

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Quick look at Frostbite job postings show that almost all job postings are either in Vancouver Canada, or Stockholm, Sweden. And I'll ask you, why on earth would they develop Frostbite in U.S. instead of Sweden, where, you know, the whole team is located?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DICE_Los_Angeles

DICE Los Angeles (2013–present)[edit]
On January 31, 2013, Electronic Arts announced that the Medal of Honor series was taken 'out of rotation' and put on hold, following to the poor reception received by Warfighter.[10] In May 2013, it was announced that the company had become part of EA DICE, receiving staff from the Swedish studio and being rebranded DICE Los Angeles.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch will hit 40m soon and pubs like WB, Activision, Ubisoft and co. improving their efforts it would make sense for EA to stop treating the system like an unwanted stepchild.

IP wise getting Star Wars on Switch in whatever form would made alot of sense.
Honestly, EA would be stupid to continue treating the Switch like you said as an unwanted stepchild. They like money. And the Switch could give them tons of money, all they have to do is to make sure their main engine is running on Switch. Most of their big Frostbite games are running at 60 FPS on the consoles anyway, so I'd imagine that even games such as Battlefront 2 and BF5 are possible with half fps and low resolution. Current gen Fifa and Madden would also sell like hot cakes.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
I missed the "core" word, thanks for notifying me.
I would reckon an ARM branch of the engine would require enough of an overhaul to be done by the core teams instead of a support team. But I trust your knowledge for obvious reasons in this matter.

Last edited:

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017

You good sir are now the elephant in the room, er, thread.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

ummm seems like the rumour is true

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, EA would be stupid to continue treating the Switch like you said as an unwanted stepchild. They like money. And the Switch could give them tons of money, all they have to do is to make sure their main engine is running on Switch. Most of their big Frostbite games are running at 60 FPS on the consoles anyway, so I'd imagine that even games such as Battlefront 2 and BF5 are possible with half fps and low resolution. Current gen Fifa and Madden would also sell like hot cakes.
I would assume that EA has had some kind of strategy in the pipeline if Switch proved to be a success over a longer period - while they have been less enthusiastic about the Plattform than other publishers it makes sense why it would take until 2019 for them to take it really serious.
Even publishers who are fully on board are going to wait until 2019 to release some bigger titles on the system because of the viability of publishing 32gb cards on Switch.

So yeah just looking at EA portfolio getting their Frostbite Sport titles and Star Wars running on Switch would probably be worth the investment already. Switch isnt going anywhere soon and pubs that already invested in it like Bethesda are starting to see the longterm benefits during Holiday sales.

ummm seems like the rumour is true
Come on, dont do this.
Appreciate devs taking their time in clearing um misconceptions instead of jumping into conclusions.

Though i agree, not porting Frostbite to a capable system that might go onto selling +100m in the next couple years - will be more difficult to justify as times go on.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
We don't need stupid EA and their crappy games anyway. Oh wait...they might support Switch? Oh yay!
You can do better.

Have you ever thought about why certain parts of their audience arent into EA offerings, when they are not putting their A+ stuff on the content ? Unless you are into Fifa they arent offering anything for Switch owners - whats the reason to be excited ?

If Battlefront 2, Unravel and A Away Out would have been on Switch the reception would be different as well.
Just look at Bethesda and how they went from not being a factor on Nintendo systems for decades to be cheered for what they doing on Switch.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That would be a really cool cross platform game. :D But I think the IPs nowadays are owned by other parties and not DICE.

Or just don't jump to conclusions because someone wants to engage in an unrelated discussion. ;)
Fine, do "Pinball Dreamt of Fantasia in Illusionary lands" I can even give you some table names :P

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
We don't need stupid EA and their crappy games anyway. Oh wait...they might support Switch? Oh yay!

I don't personally play any EA games (can't in good concious support their exploitative micro transaction filled games) but I think anyone can admit that it's good for the Switch as a platform to have a dev that big supporting it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lame post

Just look at Bethesda and how they went from not being a factor on Nintendo systems for decades to be cheered for what they doing on Switch.
yep, bethesda was there early and now they're doing day 1 releases of their big games, and their efforts are being appreciated by the switch audience. they also must have sold a ton of doom and skyrim over the holidays when they were 50% off. they were high up in the eshop charts.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy FIFA if it means a better game.

Bought 18. It was mediocre and skipped 19 because it seemed to be even worst.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I missed the "core" word, thanks for notifying me.
I would reckon an ARM branch of the engine would require enough of an overhaul to be done by the core teams instead of a support team. But I trust your knowledge for obvious reasons in this matter.
they actually worked on ARM support some years ago. adding it for Switch/Mobile isn't so much the technical hurdle, just a political/economic one

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-06-frostbite-gets-parts-of-battlefield-4-running-on-ios

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't personally play any EA games (can't in good concious support their exploitative micro transaction filled games) but I think anyone can admit that it's good for the Switch as a platform to have a dev that big supporting it.

Absolutely! I'm just making light of the way people sway.

If EA does support Switch, they'd be crazy not to port a Battlefield game over since Activision's sleeping on putting a CoD out. Even something simple like Battlefield 1943 could have new life on the Switch.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys hoping for a battlefield or whatever are going to be dissapointed. If anything it's probably going to be plants vs zombies garden warfare 2 port or 3.

It fits EA's vision of Nintendo, cartoon childish graphics, can support Nintendo online, and has micro transactions whixh Nintendo isn't bothered. By.