• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
GT1 - 1997
GT2 - 1999
GT3 - 2001
GT4 - 2004
GT5 - 2010
GT6 - 2013
GT Sport - 2017

They take twice as long to release a game one time and the stigma stays with them forever lol
And that's not even including prologues or the PSP game or anything.

How PD managed to make GT3 in 2 years (on a new hardware) is beyond incredible, I have no idea how they pulled that off.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
GT Sport is basically a GT7 prologue anyway. Their car models are good for 8k and even beyond I think they said. So it isn't unreasonable to think they haven't got one ready for PS5

Its really not, its just Gran Turismo eSport. Like Street Fighter V was and still is even with all the content added.

Games like GTS and SFV launched purposely with little content to somewhat force players to get into the online competitive scene.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I kinda assumed we'd be getting a 7 that's basically Sport with more traditional modes and 4K 60fps with Ray traced lighting and other bells and whistles.
That would be disappointing. GT7 needs:

- Way more cars. Gran Turismo Sport ended with a good amount, but GT7 should be 500+ and also have more cars viable for races.
- A proper campaign mode, plus all the SP content from Sport
- More tracks. GTS is now at a good amount, but it's especially lacking in terms of fictional tracks and city tracks.
- Proper VR mode with support for actual races online.
- The usual handling / sound upgrade. That data they now get from Michelin has to be used for something.
- Dynamic time of day / More weather conditions
- Fully revamped UI to make good use of the SSD.

Like, sure, technically they could just build everything on top of Sport, and they've for sure not added every car they've scanned. But GT can't go light on content again, so the more time they get the better.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ppl gotta remember, GT6 came out before the SCE restructuring. This won't PS4 be alone.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
We just got the Samsung Galaxy S20 a couple of months ago...so yes.

Samsung announced the Galaxy S9 months after Apple announced the iPhone X.

I think not wanting to go "S11" has more to do with that sounding like like a more incremental upgrade than "S20," more than "we can't have a lower number than Apple!!1"

Once you get into the double-digits, changing up your numbering makes sense. It's hard to get mad hype for the iPhone 17.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
www.gamesradar.com

PS5 reported to have next-gen exclusives after Microsoft announces cross-gen plans for Xbox Series X

Not every PS5 launch game will be playable on PS4, suggests new report

Ok my bad it is from Schreier and not Sony directly. But Cerny did said multiple times throughout the years that he believes in console generations (implying no cross gen like MS wants to).
Cerny doesn't work directly for Sony. His consultancy company is contracted to support with the console hardware design. He doesn't make the decisions on Sony's first party output. He lends technical and design support on certain games, but he's not making the wider strategy or portfolio decisions that will come from Ryan and Hulst.

That said, if I was betting, I'd bet on GT7 being PS5 only. Mostly because Ryan commented that he expected customer PS5 transitioning to be fast, and you do that by tempting with games you can't get on the old hardware.

Last edited:

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pipes are beginning to crack, not long now... Sonya better make that announcement soon before it's too late..

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Forza is a bigger brand than GT.
giphy.gif

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

PS5 reported to have next-gen exclusives after Microsoft announces cross-gen plans for Xbox Series X

Ok my bad it is from Schreier and not Sony directly. But Cerny did said multiple times throughout the years that he believes in console generations (implying no cross gen like MS wants to).
Schreier didn't say that either if you listen to it or read the article. He's just saying there will be an unspecified number of PS5 exclusives. Could be 20% of all Sony's unannounced games for all we know while 80% are cross-gen. Console generations do not imply no cross-gen games early on.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt a GT7 is even in production given the sales performance of the other entries in the series.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

That article doesn't say what you say it does, though.

"Sony will have some PS5-only titles that aren't playable on PS4" =/= "Every title Sony makes after the launch of the PS5 is PS5-only"

I'm not saying GT7 will be cross-gen, but that article doesn't in any way rule it out.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They didn't ignore the PS3 install base for GT6 and it ended up being the worst selling game in the franchise lol.

GT7 must be exclusive for PS5. No ifs and buts about it.
PS4 hasn't had a full numbered GT game though, and PS4 didn't have PS3 BC. People have been waiting a long tome for GT7. Playing it on PS5 will mean super fast load times and probably other performance improvements at a minimum. Likely will take advantage of the PS5 controller. For sure it will be a 'better on PS5' experience. It won't be a GT6 situation.

Grooski

Oct 28, 2017
If GT7 was a PS4 game they would have announced it already. Its a tent-pole title in their stable. This is a PS5 game, surely.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't PS5 launching with a GT pretty much confirm they'll dominate in Europe again? Isn't GT massive over there?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If GT7 was a PS4 game they would have announced it already. Its a tent-pole title in their stable. This is a PS5 game, surely.
This is kinda how I feel too. Sony haven't really announced any big games in ages, instead focusing on finishing up PS4 releases like Last of Us 2 and Tsushima. I suspect this is because most/all their next wave of stuff is PS5. Although I doubt they'll cut PS4 off entirely right away, that never works out well.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't trust any GT game made in three years given how long it usually takes them to pump out titles.
good logic
Code:
Omega Boost                   April 22, 1999             PlayStation
Gran Turismo 2                December 11, 1999
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec        April 28, 2001             PlayStation 2
Gran Turismo Concept          January 1, 2002
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue       December 4, 2003
Gran Turismo 4                December 28, 2004
Tourist Trophy                February 2, 2006
Gran Turismo HD               December 24, 2006          PlayStation 3
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue       December 13, 2007
Gran Turismo (PSP)            October 1, 2009            PlayStation Portable
Gran Turismo 5                November 24, 2010          PlayStation 3
Gran Turismo 6                December 6, 2013
Gran Turismo Sport            October 17, 2017           PlayStation 4

Oct 27, 2017
That article doesn't say what you say it does, though.

"Sony will have some PS5-only titles that aren't playable on PS4" =/= "Every title Sony makes after the launch of the PS5 is PS5-only"

I'm not saying GT7 will be cross-gen, but that article doesn't in any way rule it out.

Can anyone give me a big first party game that Sony made that released on a next-gen platform as well as the previous one (PS2/3/4)? Except sport game like MLB. I can't find any. I just don't see it releasing on PS4.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
There were six Forza games released this gen compared to one GT game. They were released on a much smaller userbase and the last Forza game was on Gamepass and thus there was no reason to buy it instead of getting Gamepass. Despite these factors, Forza Horizon 3 had the same or better total player count than GT Sport.

GT sells well, but the take that GT is still bigger than Forza is weird. There aren't many games in the franchise anymore and they don't really do much better than Forza Horizon games.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I can't believe there are people who are thinking this'll be "rushed"... we've gone an entire generation without a numbered GT entry when we typically get two.

Even if it's a day one launch title for PS5, it's still anything but rushed.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 hasn't had a full numbered GT game though, and PS4 didn't have PS3 BC. People have been waiting a long tome for GT7. Playing it on PS5 will mean super fast load times and probably other performance improvements at a minimum. Likely will take advantage of the PS5 controller. For sure it will be a 'better on PS5' experience. It won't be a GT6 situation.

Backwards compatibility would make a big difference this time though, so it doesn't need to be PS5 exclusive. They could easily just enhance it for the PS5.

I want a true next-gen GT game. Not a port. May as well keep my PS4 Pro if I wanted an enhanced version.