• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I still have absolutely no clue where these people complaining about an influx of Norse mythology games are getting this idea from. I think the only other setting that would have been cooler would be like a Mayan/Aztec setting, but Norse isn't overdone at all.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Norse is super blah...

God of War
Hell Blade
Assassins Creed Kingdoms
Great Rune

And now this? How many AAA Norse games can the market withstand. It's not like there's 50 big blockbuster releases in a year anymore

Two of those games are far from releasing and Great Rune you basically count double, lol. So just two great games have honestly ruined Norse mythology for years to come? Okay...

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
As much as I love Norse mythology and aesthetics, it's still relatively similar to medieval settings, which I've come to really find bland and boring for the most part.

So I hope the Norse part isn't true (it might not be, actually, it seems) and that they do something completely different.
I still have absolutely no clue where these people complaining about an influx of Norse mythology games are getting this idea from. I think the only other setting that would have been cooler would be like a Mayan/Aztec setting, but Norse isn't overdone at all.
I still remember that rumour from last year about the next From game being an Aztec-inspired melee ARPG lol.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointed in the Norse Mythology thing. Feels like we have seen that to death but count me in for some FROM stuff I guess.

Mar 25, 2019
I honestly don't get how anyone actually enjoys the Dark Souls/Bloodborne style game of gameplay. Don't you want video games to be relaxing?

I'd be excited to hear GRRM was consulting on a video game project if it were a modernized Skyrim-like project. It would even necessarily need to be set on Planetos. But not this... Not this...

Plus, add yet another time suck to the pile that's delaying TWOW :(

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading Vinland Saga recently so I'm all about Vikings right now. Only game I've played recently that dealt with Norse Mythology was God of War so I'm can't say I'm tired of the setting like so many seem to be in here.

Can't wait for E3.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get how anyone actually enjoys the Dark Souls/Bloodborne style game of gameplay. Don't you want video games to be relaxing?

I'd be excited to hear GRRM was consulting on a video game project if it were a modernized Skyrim-like project. It would even necessarily need to be set on Planetos. But not this... Not this...

To me those games are relaxing, strange as that may sound

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Norse mythology and aesthetics, it's still relatively similar to medieval settings, which I've come to really find bland and boring for the most part.

And yet hardly anyone complains about the umpteenth medievil setting in games, while Norse mythology, which is a much more rare setting in games, and an inherently much more interesting and fantastical setting, is something that people do complain about?

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
This is like saying why do people watch horror movies? Dont you want to relax with all movies? Games should be engaging, sometimes the story is engaging, sometimes the gameplay is engaging. Fromsoftware makes games you cant just fall asleep to because you HAVE to pay attention but that is probably not for you.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Then FromSoftware games are not for you. And that's completely okay. Stop forcing it on your self to like something you clearly don't click with.
I understand that, but it wasn't always the case. I've played and greatly enjoyed the Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, and Demon's Souls. Even went through a number of Souslikes such as Nioh and Lords of the Fallen. But I think at this stage the formula is just wearing thin for me.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I want action games to be as thrilling as possible, and Sekiro gets my heart pounding so hard my hands shake, A+++ will purchase From again.

(Relaxing games are fun, too, of course!)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that I jumped into a UE4 group project with some fellow students, and it's basically a God of War clone with a Norse-inspired mythology as well. Also, don't forget Skyrim heavily channeling Norse mythology as well.

Skyrim came out in 2011, nearly 8 years ago. Between that, God of War (2018) and Hellblade (2017), that's nowhere near the amount of Norse games people in here are suggesting have come out lol

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It's weird to see folks classify Norse Mythos as Medieval fantasy.

That's like classifying the Greek Comedies and Tragedies as Medieval Fantasy.

Those period don't overlap, like at all.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, but it wasn't always the case. I've played and greatly enjoyed the Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, and Demon's Souls. Even went through a number of Souslikes such as Nioh and Lords of the Fallen. But I think at this stage the formula is just wearing thin for me.

Perhaps you are trying to approaching it as a souls game? The flow of combat is very different from a souls game, and the devs have repeatedly said it isn't one. I'd say the difficulty is on par with previous games once you get used to the mechanics

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps you are trying to approaching it as a souls game? The flow of combat is very different from a souls game, and the devs have repeatedly said it isn't one. I'd say the difficulty is on par with previous games once you get used to the mechanics
oh no, I finished Sekiro. It wasn't too difficult for me. I'm just tired of the difficulty is all.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

People seem to forget alot of Norse Mythology seems have come from Ancient Germany.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And yet hardly anyone complains about the umpteenth medievil setting in games, while Norse mythology, which is a much more rare setting in games, and an inherently much more interesting and fantastical setting, is something that people do complain about?

Because Norse mythology is extremely limited in the kind of characters you can focus on. Medieval fantasy can include Norse-inspired stuff without any issues but Norse mythology specifically limits you a LOT.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most of the biggest video game genres and franchises aren't relaxing. Most games revolve around combat, tension, competition, drama etc. From aren't unique here. Are all other forms of other entertainment media only relaxing? Of course not. You have a GoT avatar I think - that wasn't a show about best friends holding hands and picking daisies. Why aren't you watching Bob Ross?!!

Sometimes we want to relax, other times we want to engage. This seems obvious.

Oct 25, 2017

To me those games are relaxing, strange as that may sound

Same. I imagine part of the reason is that the games always allow you to go at your own pace. You'll stop to uncover more of the lore when you feel like it, you'll kill enemies on the run back to the boss if you feel like it, you often have choice of where to go next, and explore the areas you feel like exploring.

There's no infuriating NPC yelling at you to follow them while you try to read a document containing important plot information, like what just happened to me in Quantum Break this weekend.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The height of viking activity was like smack in the middle of the middle ages, and it was also when Snorri Sturluson was going around writing all his stuff that form the basis on what everyone draws from now in pop media representations and more. Lord of the Rings for instance is neck-deep in influences from Norse myth and that was a definitive and influential work for the genre.

Not that people usually use "medieval" literally anyway.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Precisely, yeah.

I do complain, though! :p I couldn't find elves, dwarves, dragons and the like less inspired for the most part. If you're making a medieval game, at least make it grounded and realistic honestly, as most of them are riddled with the same old tropes and cliches. And even then, those kinds of aesthetics have been to death in videogames, so it's still unappealing to me (I used to love the setting as a kid, but man).

Norse settings are good, especially if they actually dwell on the mythology. GoW was great among many reasons because of that: you don't really see any AAA tackling those myths and characters head on.

Still, for the sake of being surprised (as we're coming from DS and ASOIAF, which have some Norse elements beyond the ones shared by virtue of being heavily inspired by medieval Europe), something entirely different would be great.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think this will have political intrigue and complex dialogue similar to ASOIAF?

I know FROM isn't necessarily known for political intrigue and dialogue in their games but I'm hoping this title does. Something akin to Suikoden 2 levels of political intrigue mixed with souls open world gameplay would be fucking dope.

Denzos

Jun 27, 2018
I like everything about this except for the Norse mythology part. Wish they used a different pantheon. I think the hindu pantheon is super cool and can fit FROM software's Soulsbourne games well. They got so many scary looking deities, good and bad alike.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The height of viking activity was like smack in the middle of the middle ages, and it was also when Snorri Sturluson was going around writing all his stuff that form the basis on what everyone draws from now in pop media representations and more. Lord of the Rings for instance is neck-deep in influences from Norse myth and that was a definitive and influential work for the genre.

Not that people usually use "medieval" literally anyway.
I mean most western medieval fantasy draws from stuff like Christian lore, and the Arthurian Cycle(Specifically the Romance renditions). I think there's a pretty core difference between that(Which is more at the tale end of of the actual period and a fair deal of the Renaissance than Norse Mythos, which appeared in middle and Vikings as a whole, whose high point in history was far closer to the beginning

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dark Souls already took alot of stuff from Norse Mythology in itself. Gywn=Odin (way more then Zeus, if you follow Gywn's quest to prevent the Age of Dark is like Odin being obsessed with stopping Ragnarok) Dragons are very similar, Norse themed enemies.

Dark Souls has the skin of Western Dark Fantasy series but takes so much inspiration from so many different cultures. It's sad people can't see that.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you want to be super reductive then LotR was heavily based on Norse mythology so pretty much every fantasy story with an elf or dwarf in it derives from that

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me is less about what games fall in the exact same category as much as we know almost everything about the most important things in Norse mythos just by consuming entertainment in general, like with zombies. We know what the major story beats can entail and we know who is important and who isnt also what creatures look like vaguely, now imagine going into a Mayan myth setting, I doubt the vast majority of people will know which gods are important and what creatures could show up. The mystery of the non-mainstream mythologies make the whole experience inherently more interesting.

If GRRM is on it, I'd rather the game stick to European stuff. It would be a shame to have a game centered around one of those other mythologies without proper consultants being on the project.