• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It's half and half. I legitimately think it would be hilarious if you had to use the Lance of Longinus to fight a ridiculous over-the-top Asura's Wrath/GoW3/Balder-level final battle against Jesus. But at the same time I'm also well aware that it would be incredibly, incredibly dumb.

I also just want more mythologies to get their due in video games instead of just Greek/Roman and Norse. I want to see a Babylonian action game. Give us the Epic of Gilgamesh.
It would be ridiculous and would piss off a bunch of people but I sure as hell would love to see someone try it lol.

And I agree. While I don't think the former mythos are played out, others like Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica are DEFINITELY underutilized. I'm extremely excited for whatever this next game is(Norse shit or not) but I would be 10x more excited if either or those were teased.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Open world and Norse.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I agree with you, so I will join in on you with your :

Eh...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would be ridiculous and would piss off a bunch of people but I sure as hell would love to see someone try it lol.

And I agree. While I don't think the former mythos are played out, others like Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica are DEFINITELY underutilized. I'm extremely excited for whatever this next game is(Norse shit or not) but I would be 10x more excited if either or those were teased.

I think for me, the big thing is that Norse and Greco-Roman mythology, even if they aren't overpowering GAMING, are so prevalent in pop culture as a whole that they FEEL overpopulated in gaming by extension. We've all seen dozens of stories about vikings and Norsemen and the Greek gods and Hercules, even if we haven't played them. Probably because (cynically) they're the religions white people can make movies about without pissing people off.

Meanwhile, there are all sorts of mythologies and religions (Babylonian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Aztec, even ancient Celtic stuff) that would make great settings for historically or mythologically-themed video games but always get passed over. I've been a mythology buff since I was literally old enough to read (some of the first books I ever read were huge mythology texts, because baby me was apparently already an insane person), so having other people be exposed to some of the stuff I was raised on would be super cool to see.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
*reads thread title* Oh that sounds pretty cool, I bet everyone's super excited. I hope they can make an open-world game that doesn't succumb to pointless filler and bloat like most of the others do.

*checks first page* ...Huh, didn't realize this many people hated Norse mythology. I think it's cool and far from overdone. "The new zombie setting?" What are these people smoking? There are like 8000 AAA zombie games and like 3 AAA Norse ones.

*checks last page* ...Oh, we're talking about Dark Souls difficulty again. I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was.
Best part of the whole process is that when the game is actually shown... scratch that - when the game actually comes out is when people will realize they should have just shut the hell up and should have had faith in From. This is looking like the Sekiro cycle all over again.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It is unfathomable to me that people who call themselves Souls fans are so dismissive of OTHER From fans feeling left behind or abandoned by the team. It's not like I'm asking for a Bayonetta-style auto mode.
Dark Souls 3 is 3 years old, you're not abandoned, they just didn't make a game for you once or twice.

Not every From game needs to be for Souls fans. I'd be pissed if people tried to "soulsfy" Armored Core too.

Last edited:

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Why are people "tired" of Norse mythology? There's Hellblade and GoW, I can't think of any much else.

I think everyone has gone crazy and forgot that this
51pG-Xp1iYL._SY445_.jpg

came out over 11 years ago.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead is built to reward the hell out of people who are good at run-and-gun and shmups, but has no reasonable options for players who aren't. I might actually give up on Cuphead because it's too hard for me. I'm struggling like crazy at the start.

And... that's OK.

Cuphead's difficulty is 80% trial and error/memorization, i.e. learning the boss patterns and tells. The actual execution part of Cuphead doesn't really require you to be all that good at run and gun games/shmups.

I think everyone has gone crazy and forgot that this

came out over 11 years ago.

There's been a few indie games like Bad North, Jotun, Banner Saga etc, but it really hasn't been done that much.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm glad PlanetSmasher is in here to make yet another thread about them. And it isn't even a Sekiro thread! Hoping the game will fail is certainly something to see

Seek help

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with Norse isn't Norse, it's that a lot media has done an awful job of exploring the depths of North mythology. It's not in the least bit all axes, frost giants, blizzards, and Thor.

Topographically Norse mythology covered an enormous spread of land inhabited by the Germanic people, from yes snowy mountaints but also rich green forests, raging rivers, oceanic fronts, and lush plains. North mythology in of itself is littered with arcane magics, usually deeply related to the natural world, such as the plants and animals to the elements and weather.

The actual scope of North mythology is literally multidimensional, encompassing several worlds that harken back to the origin of elves, dark elves, giants, dwarves, and heaps of other weird mystical shit. The passage of time is also a major theme, a psychedelic mix of weird multidimensional cosmology and non-linear time. A lot of modern fantasy tropes can be traced back to Norse mythology, and the themes explored in Norse are often done so with a dark, humorous wit.

Norse is terribly misshandled by entertainment, diluted to Vikings vs Frost Giants and dumb Marvel shit, and the depth of the mythology are criminally underutilised. There's a lot to love with Norse and if it's going to become a bit of a trend, stemming away from Arthurian legend, then I can only hope it'll finally be explored and appreciated as it deserves.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people "tired" of Norse mythology? There's Hellblade and GoW, I can't think of any much else.
I'm not tired of it, but with the next Assassins Creed and God of War also fiddling around with Norse mythology, chances are that they will release pretty close to each other. If Great Rune is in the Souls style, then I'm out either way, just not my type of games.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Cuphead's difficulty is 80% trial and error/memorization, i.e. learning the boss patterns and tells. The actual execution part of Cuphead doesn't really require you to be all that good at run and gun games/shmups.

Funnily enough, this is also true of Battletoads and thats often considered one of the hardest games of all time.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it's not an ARPG. That's why there's no build variety. Its an action adventure game, with a set character, playstyle and skilltrees. Its not another souls game, and its more akin to something like Metal Gear Rising with traditional Fromsoft level design than anything else. I think its unreasonable to be criticizing something for not being something else when it was never attempting to be that something else in the first place. If the game isn't for you that's fine, you don't have to like it and I'm not going to convince anybody that they should but people need to start being more open to Fromsoft doing other things even if you don't personally enjoy what those other things are. Its pretty sad to see so many people try to take ownership of what Fromsoft is or should be and then get upset when they choose to experiment, especially when plenty of people also get upset when they don't experiment. It's a no win situation.

From doesn't owe it to anyone to do or make anything, they do what they do because they love games, making them and being able to flex their creativity and I wish more people would be open and receptive to that rather than thinking of From as their personal games factory
All of this. Its sad this even needs to be said but from doesnt owe anyone anything and watching some posters incessantly throwing temper tantrums if From doesnt make something they want is honestly some of the most childish shit I've seen on this forum. And this is coming from someone who will ask for BB2 until I die. But also happily will take anything miyazaki makes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting

I'm down for anything. I think.............

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well it's not an ARPG. That's why there's no build variety. Its an action adventure game, with a set character, playstyle and skilltrees. Its not another souls game, and its more akin to something like Metal Gear Rising with traditional Fromsoft level design than anything else. I think its unreasonable to be criticizing something for not being something else when it was never attempting to be that something else in the first place. If the game isn't for you that's fine, you don't have to like it and I'm not going to convince anybody that they should but people need to start being more open to Fromsoft doing other things even if you don't personally enjoy what those other things are. Its pretty sad to see so many people try to take ownership of what Fromsoft is or should be and then get upset when they choose to experiment, especially when plenty of people also get upset when they don't experiment. It's a no win situation.

From doesn't owe it to anyone to do or make anything, they do what they do because they love games, making them and being able to flex their creativity and I wish more people would be open and receptive to that rather than thinking of From as their personal games factory

Thanks Omni. Basically how I feel about the matter. I am in for whatever From wants to do.

Some users in this thread need to read this response. From can do whatever they want to. And it may not be for everyone. Some people have a very hard time grasping this.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
its not just era. a lot of people complain about its lack of build variety and uneven difficulty curve.

also, im not gonna beat a dead horse by repeating for the millionth time why its pointless to have these discussions over aggregate scores.

A ton of people disliked Bloodborne's lack of build variety because people seem to want every RPG to have the same breadth of builds as dark souls, even when from want to make more focused experiences around certain play styles. And yet, in general, most would consider the reception to bloodborne to be overwhelmingly positive. Just pointing that out because the amount of "sekiro doesn't have enough build variety" from what I've seen isn't even as often as it popped up for bloodborne back in the day. It was EVERYWHERE.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Exactly and I can't believe some will say you are wrong.
I finished Celeste in the "normal" difficulty (which is not easy).
And there is a lot of accessibility option (A LOT) so more can enjoy (finish) the game.

Thanks. Yeah, I thing people are just too caught up in defending their own preferencs and they dont want to consider the fact that low-impact options would keep their experience AS-IS, while opening the door for much more enjoyment in a larger audience.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
If this is like any other FromSoft game, I'm in. It sucks for Angie22 though, because I hear she hates FromSoft games.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
its not just era. a lot of people complain about its lack of build variety and uneven difficulty curve.

also, im not gonna beat a dead horse by repeating for the millionth time why its pointless to have these discussions over aggregate scores.

Where are these people who are making such complaints? Did they not research anything about the game? Build variety? What?

Oct 27, 2017
Again, the argument that Sekiro has no build variety, no armors, no weapons, no invasions, no online. Honestly i know that Mc userscore is useless but i shake my head reading people giving it a 0 because of these exact "reasons".

Those people are why we can't have nice things from one of the last developers trying new things instead of repeating the same games over and over.

I'm in for every other game Fromsoftware decides to release. I hope Bloodborne 2 is as late as possible, just like i hope a Dark Souls 4 is as late as possible. Bring the Norse mythology (if confirmed), we have seen God of War's take on Norse mythology, not Fromsoftware's.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
People hate on norse mythology and scream for feudal japan for all franchises. What's going on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People hate on norse mythology and scream for feudal japan for all franchises. What's going on.

The Norse stuff seems to have been debunked already, but as I said before, I think the fatigue with Norse stuff is less specific to video games and more a Western pop culture thing. Norsemen and vikings (and even just the themes and visual iconography related to them) get an absolute shit-ton of play in western pop culture, and some of the biggest video games of the past decade and a half use a Nordic aesthetic. Skyrim and God of 4War being the big examples.

As a result, I think a lot of people are just chafing at the idea of playing as another bearded white man in furs wielding an axe. We've seen it a lot and it's just kind of unexciting these days.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The Norse stuff seems to have been debunked already, but as I said before, I think the fatigue with Norse stuff is less specific to video games and more a Western pop culture thing. Norsemen and vikings (and even just the themes and visual iconography related to them) get an absolute shit-ton of play in western pop culture, and some of the biggest video games of the past decade and a half use a Nordic aesthetic. Skyrim and God of 4War being the big examples.

As a result, I think a lot of people are just chafing at the idea of playing as another bearded white man in furs wielding an axe. We've seen it a lot and it's just kind of unexciting these days.

^^^

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

I would honestly be surprised if we get stuck playing as a Bearded White man considering its a From game and being opened world, I will suspect it will have some sort of character creator.