• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Came in because Lost Kingdoms is one of my fav series and I've been dying for a Lost Kingdoms 3 and tqbh I've been hating From for years for ignoring it... If this isn't LK I'm going to be so incredibly pissed because of the name just taunting me.

Norse better not be true.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Norse stuff seems to have been debunked already, but as I said before, I think the fatigue with Norse stuff is less specific to video games and more a Western pop culture thing. Norsemen and vikings (and even just the themes and visual iconography related to them) get an absolute shit-ton of play in western pop culture, and some of the biggest video games of the past decade and a half use a Nordic aesthetic. Skyrim and God of 4War being the big examples.

As a result, I think a lot of people are just chafing at the idea of playing as another bearded white man in furs wielding an axe. We've seen it a lot and it's just kind of unexciting these days.

I'm not even opposed to a Nordic From game, but yeah, and it goes further than just GoT and Skyrim:
Banner Saga
Jotun
Lords of the Fallen (ish)
Hellblade
Vikings: Wolves of Midgard (Kalypso)
Munin
Through the Woods

In dev:
Lords of the Fallen 2
Praey for the gods
Next Assassin Creed (rumor/ leak)

Heck, one could argue that Ashes of Ariendel (DS3 dlc) was -strongly- influenced by Norse aesthetics.

latest

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
think for me, the big thing is that Norse and Greco-Roman mythology, even if they aren't overpowering GAMING, are so prevalent in pop culture as a whole that they FEEL overpopulated in gaming by extension. We've all seen dozens of stories about vikings and Norsemen
Reducing Norse mythology down to vikings and norsemen is like reducing Egypt down to sand and pyramids.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Reducing Norse mythology down to vikings and norsemen is like reducing Egypt down to sand and pyramids.

Obviously. But when people think Norse mythology, they think bearded white guys with axes, Thor and Odin, and lots of stone and snow. MAYBE a Valkyrie or two. That's what pop culture has done to the mythos.

And personally, I've killed Fafnir enough times in video games that I don't really need to fight him again.

Oct 31, 2017
I had to google this and it doesn't look great. Must of been a sleeper hit because I never read or heard people mention it before.

The first game is really fun, but it's the most barebones RPG I've played lol. It takes like 5 hours to finish the game and the 9 optional dungeons. The sequel is still very short (finishing all the optional content should take like... 14, 15 hours) but it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there was this little known Nordic game that came out about a decade about that seemed pretty popular. I don't know, you probably never heard of it.

It was called SKYRIM.

Yeah, it has fur and swords and snow and a guy on the cover with a helmet that has horns. That's all you need for a Norse game!

Aside from their version of Valhalla that's about as norse as it gets.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So is this confirmed-confirmed or still a rumor? (it looks like it's in "all but confirmed" rumor territory now)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
@Mods or OP - Could we maybe have a change of thread title or a threadmark to note this? Thanks. :)
Link me to the post that debunks it and I can threadmark it. Last I checked it was an unconfirmed rumour from 4chan, so less reliable than the other bits, but it doesn't mean the other bits are true, or that it's false... know what I mean?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Link me to the post that debunks it and I can threadmark it. Last I checked it was an unconfirmed rumour from 4chan, so less reliable than the other bits, but it doesn't mean the other bits are true, or that it's false... know what I mean?

Ah, yeah, okay, I get what you mean. The poster I was replying to seemed certain it was debunked, so I thought I'd missed a post here, but maybe I haven't?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, yeah, okay, I get what you mean. The poster I was replying to seemed certain it was debunked, so I thought I'd missed a post here, but maybe I haven't?
I'm also confused as there hasn't been any update in here about something being debunked. Seems like planetsmasher os just going with a 4 chan rumor as fact (and probably because he doesnt want this to be true)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also confused as there hasn't been any update in here about something being debunked. Seems like planetsmasher os just going with a 4 chan rumor as fact (and probably because he doesnt want this to be true)

Omni and others have repeatedly spoken in the thread about the subject and said people are jumping the gun and getting bent out of shape over nothing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omni and others have repeatedly spoken in the thread about the subject and said people are jumping the gun and getting bent out of shape over nothing.
That is not saying this is unfounded or untrue or proof that this is debunked. There are a lot of people getting bent out of shape over a lot of different things in here

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Either way, no one should be taking anything in this thread as "as good as confirmed".
Oh of course not.
There's also this- https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...m-fromsoftware-this-year.115159/post-21062198

Obviously we will have to wait for the actual reveal till it is 100% confirmed. Good thing it isn't far away.
Yeah Im super excited were getting a new preview of something so close to the release of their last game. The wait between Ds3 and Sekiro was, while understandable, made me sad. I'm spoiled with how often this studio releases games