• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
The german news source Xbox Dynasty reports about rumors that Halo Infinite's budget is higher than 500 million dollar and an even bigger project than Red Dead Redemption 2. It's source is the game producer Ralf Adam who talked about rumors from the GDC in the Podcast "Auf ein Bier".

Xbox Dynasty article: https://www.xboxdynasty.de/news/hal...entwicklungskosten-als-red-dead-redemption-2/

"Auf ein Bier" Episode 98 at 1h and 59 minutes:

https://www.gamespodcast.de/2019/03...treamt-frontbericht-von-der-gdc-ft-ralf-adam/

There aren't any additional sources to confirm this.

Edit: It's Dynasty not Dinasty

Edit 2: Translated transcript of the conversation in the podcast:

Just to give a little bit of context. In this episode of the "Auf ein Bier" they invited Ralf Adam to talk about the biggest topics of the GDC he visited. He is a freelancer in the gaming industry and was producer and consultant for multiple German video game studios and productions. Usually Halo isn't a topic on the show so I don't think he would spread rumors for attention.

I refer to the podcast host Jochen Gebauer as PH (Podcast Host) and the invited guest Ralf Adam as RA. Excuse the formatting I'm on mobile and simply too lazy. My (maybe) rough translation:

RA: The last thing (for today) is a rumor so I can't confirm it. I heard the game with the by far most expensive budget that's in development right now is Halo. It has a development budget that's a multiple of Red Dead Redemption 2.

PH: What?

RA: Yes

PH: Oooh

RA: That's a huge amount... We a talking about rumors so I don't want to mention specific numbers but you could calculate it. It's insane.

PH: What numbers are we talking about. 500 million? 200 million?

RA: More

PH: More than 500 Million? Development budget only without marketing costs?

RA: Only development budget. I asked three times to be sure.

PH: Whoa what are they doing?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Suuuure.
Even if this was the case - which i doubt - don't think they know anyone who would have access to that kind of information.

Probably a case of someone just adding general next box marketing launch efforts to whatever budget Halo will have + marketing. Probably also adding the the costs of keeping it going as a GaaS for the whole generation.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
More than 500 million? Jesus. I know that Halo is Microsoft their winning horse, but this is just insane.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm.. I hope its resources spent wisely if it is that high. We all remember the "We spent 100 million designing our controller" speak. How reliable is the source?

DragoonC

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden
That sounds like it would be a massive game. Although with RDR2 which seem to be the only game it's competing with at that number has the benefit of being on multiple platforms.

Call me skeptical when it comes to the money but I don't know how they plan to get enough people excited over the Halo brand again. Money wise, but gameplay and such I'm looking forward to it.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would make sense to go all out if they want to "soft reboot" the series, but is it really just for Halo Infinite alone, or is it the budget required to future-proof Halo games.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They are making the entire surface of the halo ring playable? Even that would not require much money [since Halo rings are not covering the entire orbit of the planet].

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's true and most of it goes to employees welfare

One of those two is very unlikely

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit that's a big budget. Colour me super interested!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They've been so quiet about it for so long I just assumed it was a mega big budget endeavor to revitalize the series, especially with the engine and everything included in that. I hope we see it this year to some degree, and if we don't we know it's just a next box title.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
500 million ONLY development budget and no marketing?
That's bullshit lmao

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It's cross platform isn't it ? They're going with the "breath of the Wild" strategy, aren't they ?
Would make sense to go all in with the launch title of your next platform.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it takes a lot to work out Magic tech to squeeze it onto Switch.

OP
OP
RevengeTaken

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
500m USD is huge! this game better deliver lol

giphy.gif

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Is this game coming out in 2020 or 2021?

Do we know how long it's been in development for?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the multiple mis reportings that Destiny was the game with the biggest budget ever when in fact that big number was for a whole slew of games in the entire franchise over a decade, and not just one game.

$500 million dollar budget for a single videogame just doesn't sound right unless you're GTA. I'll take this with a grain of salt and as the rumor that it is. Something's off.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
I hope is not cause then this embodies everything that is wrong with video games from a financial perspective roots than then spills into micro transactions, DLC galore, lootboxes and whatever new <creative> way publishers create to increase the monetarization of games to cover the ballooned dev budgets.

and for the lover of god it better not be 50/50 Dev budget and Marketing Budget

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
This HAS got to be a GaaS title for Microsoft to invest this amount of money.
Can't wait to hear what this is about.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
500 mln dollars? Isn't Halo: Infinite going to be cross-gen? This seems like A LOT of money. I call bullshit.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half a Billion? Fake.

Not even movies cost that much. Even Avengers: Infinity War+Endgame cost 400 million.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This isnt' the first time we're hearing about this. In the Microsoft Studios thread, someone mentioned the same thing from a Spanish site who was at GDC. Looks consistent.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Was Microsoft's winning horse. Halo peaked in popularity with Halo 3 and has yet to go back to those levels. Infinite is allegedly trying to achieve just that.

Halo 5 still made a fuckton of money despite losing popularity.
$400m in the first week + MTX.

Still, 500m is bullshit.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would make sense to go all out if they want to "soft reboot" the series, but is it really just for Halo Infinite alone, or is it the budget required to future-proof Halo games.
Didn't Microsoft say when they unveiled Halo 4 that this was the start of an all new trilogy? Are we just accepting that they'll never "finish the fight" with a Halo 6 (Infinite?) that 4 started and 5 continued like they did with Halo 1, 2 and 3?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
500 million ONLY development budget and no marketing?
That's bullshit lmao

Thought the same.

Not that I have knowledge about this kind of thing but recently in one of those Game Informer videos with quick questions the director of Control said the ideal budget for a videogame would be something like 50 million for developing and another 50 million for marketing.

I know HALO is pretty big, but that's a huge difference.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I was very disappointed with Halo 4 and 5, but that trailer for Infinite surprisingly gave me hope... i really liked the feel of that trailer, that's the feel of Halo i love, so I'm really excited to see more of this.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 still made a fuckton of money despite losing popularity.
$400m in the first week + MTX.

Still, 500m is bullshit.
No. I stand by it. Halo was Microsoft's winning horse because now that horse is called Minecraft.

Sure Halo is popular and profitable (although not close to its peak circa 2007) but it ain't what it used to be, let alone what Minecraft is for them now.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I saw a couple of times the E3 trailer and it feels like the entire ring is one continuous open world. It could be one hell of engineering to construct one open world of that size.

But it also could be just a trailer.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This means nothing. Money isn't a guarantee for success.
I am still confident in the game. My biggest concern is that it will be riddled with GaaS mechanics and/or too focused on multiplayer and coop. But we will see about that.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
so it will have too little content at release, be buggy, have a badly balanced multiplayer mode but the advertising will be INSAAAAAAAAANE

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.