• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

8px8oe3eo3e51.jpg

Source is https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/xbox-series-x-register

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine still paying for Xbox gold just to play Halo online multiplayer in 2020.

edit: This is a good thing, btw.

Last edited:

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
The first thing I'm due when this game drops is to hop on BTB and run over my teammate with a warthog.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Free to play games require Xbox Live Gold in order to play, at least on Xbox One. Have they said anything about that changing for next gen?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I uhhh... huh, that would be interesting...

Normally I'd call out the 120FPS claim for it being inaccurate, but they only mentioned 4K60 in regards to SP. It's possible they might try pushing higher framerates in MP regardless.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
120fps is nice.

Been playing with it on PC these past couple of weeks and it's legit good.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lots of people pay for all sorts of multiplayer in 2020? like it's mandatory for every console? why you singling out one franchise?

Because Halo isn't Xbox exclusive anymore, since pretty much all the games are on PC now.

I would feel bad for the people playing the game on the Xbox who would still need to pay for online Halo. Feels kind of unfair at this point.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
How on earth are y'all in this thread turning this into a negative thing?! All modern, successful multiplayer games TODAY are free and this is huuuuuge for the halo franchise.

Sometime I swear y'all aren't even videogame fans man.

Anyways, huge if true.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Because they just released the Master Chief Collection on PC, which means Halo isn't Xbox exclusive anymore. Halo Infinite is also coming out on PC.

I would feel bad for people playing on xbox who still need to pay for online Halo.

They're still paying to play other games online like SoT, Grounded, Gears, Forza, etc. etc. MCC isn't F2P on PC either.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Whatever, it'll be "free" for me anyways because of game pass. Hopefully warzone firefight is in from day one this time, I had a ton of fun with that mode in Halo 5.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think that would make a lot of sense. At the end of the day I think the most enthusiastic fans would buy the game anyway, and making just the multiplayer free would draw in such a huge audience. That could be what the series needs.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If they want to make a play for the MP market in a way that isn't just their existing, dedicated fans, I'm not sure I see another path forward but this.

Though wouldn't this take some of the oomph out of the Gamepass offering? Obviously, they could give you boosters or something for being on Gamepass, but I would think that once the SP is done, it's the MP that would keep you subbed.

As for the 120fps, I'll believe that when I see it. Would be some serious sacrifice that would be required for that.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, huge if true.

If true this is literal bombshell level kind of news. Maybe that's why they were holding off on MP talks?

As for the 120fps, I'll believe that when I see it. Would be some serious sacrifice that would be required for that.

A lot of people forget, myself included, but even the XB1 supports 1440p120 display output unlike Sony. I believe the Series X is confirmed to have this as well so it's definitely possible. 1080p120 should be easily doable, which the XB1 also supports.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
birdmanhandrub.gif man xbox execs are setting this thing up to be the mtx champ. if they remove the requirement to have gold in order to play f2p games, this will be huge. no so sure about the sacrifice made to hit 120fps

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Will be huge on PC. And I wouldn't be shocked if this announcement (still not official) would coincide with Gold no longer required for multiplayer, so there is parity with Xbox and PC.

As for 120fps, it will likely be in 1080p-1440p.

please no microtransactions
They already confirmed no loot boxes. If there is no gambling and no P2W, I really don't care how they monetize beyond that. That's just me.