• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The ps2 dev kit looked like the retail ps2.
ns2mtjhsg0241.jpg

Similar aesthetics, vastly different sizes.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Clearly it's venting heat but will the black box vent heat as well as an overpowered dev kit and quietly?

Am I nuts in suggesting that the devkit could be cooled without a fan? Is that even possible? If the APU is at the top of the ^ (inverted V) shape with two pipes running down the sides of the V with massive long heat sinks on each pipe.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Those look identical except for sizes. If the ps5 is the ps5 dev kit, just thinner, it will be a very ugly console.

Well the PS3 and PS4 devkits looked not even remotely close to the final designs so I don't understand why the similarity of PS2 devkit and final design are proof that the PS5 will look like the devkit.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Those look identical except for sizes. If the ps5 is the ps5 dev kit, just thinner, it will be a very ugly console.

You may want to brush up on your vocabulary. "Identical" does not mean what you think it means. And even in the worst case scenario, the couple of generations have shown dev kits to be of different design than retail product. So, there is no precedent for dev kits looking 1:1 with retail products at least going as far back as PS2 and Xbox.

I hope folks don't panic or concern troll.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's simply not true. Many examples of dev kits that looked like the final retail product.
The previous reports said that the shape of the devkit was so that they could easily be stacked with many units on top of each other without compromising cooling, for multiplayer testing. There would be no need for such a cooling solution for the final console.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
First and last day cleaning a PS5.

PS5 taking its first victim, what a beast!

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow, how stupid can you be 😂

Almost convinced that it's some kind of elaborate joke that we don't get. lol.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I guess it's a good thing I have a cabinet with a fan so I don't have to look at the ugly XSX and PS5 while I'm playing them.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The previous reports said that the shape of the devkit was so that they could easily be stacked with many units on top of each other without compromising cooling, for multiplayer testing. There would be no need for such a cooling solution for the final console.

They are already stacking a monitor on top and so I think they're going for both ventilation and strength test concurrently.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't want to believe it because the controller seriously looks bad to me. That friggin square light bar, it looks like some real 90s computer design.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty unlikely that the retail PS5 will bear much if any similarity to the devkits, IMO. Since the PS2, I don't think any early console prototype from Sony has looked like the final retail product.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That DS5 has to be comfy. Hope haptic feedback delivers. Also please change the touchpad for a touchscreen and I´m personally golden.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's true. The PS2 and XBox 360 are two that jump to mind as looking like the retail products. I am sure there are other examples.

The early dev kits never look anything like the console.

Xbox 360 devkits were modified Power Mac G5s:

Xbox-360-Xenon-Alpha-G5-Development-Kit.jpg

Dev kits go through many changes, and eventually later dev kits will look more like the console (see X360, and Wii's rectangular NDEV vs later dev kits which look like a Wii for example).

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Man, Sony can't be stupid enough to release a PS5 that looks anywhere close to the dev kit, right? That v shaped abomination might be the ugliest console I have ever seen. It is HIDEOUS. The Xbox Series X, on the other hand, looks like pure sex. Such a gorgeous design.

Crazy how opinions differ.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I think that V has a purpose. It's not a simply design choice imo

It's very clear from that patent that the V is to provide extra airflow when multiple dev-kits are stacked on top of each other. That's why I find it so funny when people think/want it should be the final design. Kind of odd they weren't stacked in the leaked image, but I wish someone would do that just to demonstrate how they're supposed to be configured.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone manage to get the individual pictures or do we only have a screenshot of the entire post?

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
I really wish they improve the battery of the DS5, I hate to keep recharging this thing constantly