• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That console design is even more atrocious in physical form.
I like that they're sticking with the DS4 design as a base tho, love that controller's ergonomics

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this time around Sony has implemented a non-garbo cooling solution. Not sure what to make of the devkit having big-ass holes everywhere.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Is the v a play on a Roman numeral 5? I can see that in the final but in a less dramatic elevation than the dev kit while allowing for top cooling vents

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
are we sure those aren't dualshock 4's? Cause those look exactly like dualshock 4's.
On DS4, USB cable is plugged all the way down toward the ground. LED and touchpad take space above it.

Here, cable is plugged in the middle of the gamepad. I say it's most likely DS5.

All the important differences [described in Wired article] are on the inside - force feedback on the triggers, and haptics on the analog sticks. Peter Rubin also said that the gamepad looked the same as DS4 on the outside.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Game consoles are always an embarrassment. People judge. Still with my OG PS4 in a well ventilated cabinet. If this design makes it quiet then it's worth it. It can look like a piece of fake plastic poop if it's quiet for all I care. The V=5 thing hints this might be closer to the consumer design too. If, on the other hand, it's not silent and they're just doing it for the V then lol

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
I am purely speculating that the dev kits are so big and unwieldy because the chips inside are still on an larger manufacturing process so they will probably run quite hot at the target clocks. By the time the retail units arrive, they will be on a smaller/more efficient node so they don't need to be encased in such a big box.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Also, when it comes to console design, Microsoft has the best and most talented Product designers in the biz. The Xbox One S is still the best looking console if you ask me. I wish that Sony would take more notice on subtle and clean design like team Xbox did with its last two consoles. My favorite PS5 mock up is this one:

Beautiful, clean and modern. I would make some changes, of course, like remove the "PS" logo on the corner (unnecessary), etc.
Yup, that's hot.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Also, when it comes to console design, Microsoft has the best and most talented Product designers in the biz. The Xbox One S is still the best looking console if you ask me. I wish that Sony would take more notice on subtle and clean design like team Xbox did with its last two consoles. My favorite PS5 mock up is this one:

Beautiful, clean and modern. I would make some changes, of course, like remove the "PS" logo on the corner (unnecessary), etc.

Love the design callback to the PS1.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd prefer function over form, especially in industrial design. Any design that reduces function is bad. PS4 Pro chassis was designed for looks at the expense of cooling performance, that makes it a terrible design from a functional or industrial standpoint.

Majority have consoles sit their console side by side the others AV components and TV in their living room. It's understandable that they want the console not looking like an ugly duck.

Everyone who say they would take function or form should think about this. Not everyone game inside the basement.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Majority have consoles sit their console side by side the others AV components and TV in their living room. It's understandable that they want the console not looking like an ugly duck.

Everyone who say they would take function or form should think about this. Not everyone game inside the basement.
I game in my own living room, in the house I own, on my own TV... and would rather not have a console that sounds like a hair dryer and makes me have to crank up the sound if I want to hear what's going on. You're right, not everyone games in their basement with headphones on.

I'd prefer a slim and pro approach. A slim with a blow-dryer installed that aims for 1080/30 for people like you who just want a new console for the name brand, and a pro for people who actually want a good product that aims at 4K/60.

Edit: I've already had to move my PS4 Pro out of the cubby and on top of the shelving unit because it's thermal design wasn't intended for it to be placed in an entertainment center alongside AV equipment. The design in the photo of the Dev kit would actually allow it to stay cool next to your AV equipment, that is, after all, why it's designed that way. So it can stay cool in a packed and cluttered Dev environment.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I guess I don't understand why there is so much investment in how it looks anyway. What difference does it make?

If it means a relatively quiet and powerful console, have it be as ugly as required. I just need it to primarily run amazing games.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping this really is just the dev kit, because it looks like the 2000's idea of "gamer" style. Like an old obnoxious Alienware PC case or something. The only thing it's missing is some LED underglow...Which would have probably given "gamers" a lob-on back in the 2000's but it's almost 2020. People prefer a nice, clean angular box. And that's what I hope we get come launch.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm hoping this really is just the dev kit, because it looks like the 2000's idea of "gamer" style. Like an old obnoxious Alienware PC case or something. The only thing it's missing is some LED underglow...Which would have probably given "gamers" a lob-on back in the 2000's but it's almost 2020. People prefer a nice, clean angular box. And that's what I hope we get come launch.
Nah, "gamer" style didn't take functional design into consideration. This thing looks like it has an actual heatsink in it.

Aug 26, 2019
Worth noting that the PS4 devkit + controller pic dropped like, a day before the PS4 reveal. And the 25th anniversary of PlayStation is this Tuesday. Hmmmmmm

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I really want paddles like on the steam controller on next gen controllers but I don't think we are gonna get em. Shame.

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically the same as the current DS4
It is noticeably bigger. Hence, the thicc comment.

Yes, it is the dev kit. No, it won't look like the retail kit.

The same as always.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The DS4 is a good controller for third person games, but basically any first person shooters it is bad for.

I'll never play any shooter or game where I need precision on a DualShock as long as they design it like that.

I'm hoping one day in the future I can use any controller on any console