• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they remove that V thing on the retail version, I just want a bland black box so it looks good on my set, I don't want tacky looking system
Maybe that. But back then he even highlighted the voice assistant and the microphone in the controller. Having a controller back then with more features than the final one is kinda weird tbh.
I wonder how they will track PS VR games via BC if lightbars are removed.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
this does nothing for me. it's just a devkit and doesn't represent what we'll have sitting beside our TV this time next year.

the only thing i guess we can take anything from is the controller. i'll be pissed if we have to put up with a controller with a touchpad/torch for another generation.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Scrubbing my head about this: Both the DS5 patent and this leak don't show any single sign or hint or trace of lightbar which are perceptible proofs yet we got this before:

Maybe they'll just do this, this time around?
glaringwarmheartedelephantseal.gif

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
I can't wait to see the design.

I wonder how much smaller the PS5 will be compared to these Dev kits.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

It's a short thread, you will find my posts there easily:

I detailed everything there and in the next-gen thread too but here I rewrite the reason quickly.
There is 100% not a single single sign for lightbar in the back of the controller from both the patent and now the leaked photo and the USB type C is taling its place.
The purpose of the lightbar to start with was to be tracked by the camera and it's normal position must be the back of the controller, and on DS4 V2, they just made a little line transparent at the top of the trackpad to show the light from the LED which is stuffed inside the controller and revealed from the back.
What's the purpose of stuffing an entire LED light inside the controller now if it gonna be masked by the back, not being read by any camera or otehr device and just leave small transparent line to show it? Why such waste now for no purpose at all?
There is no lightbar in the controller and this is a fact.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a short thread, you will find my posts there easily:

I detailed everything there and in the next-gen thread too but here I rewrite the reason quickly.
There is 100% not a single single sign for lightbar in the back of the controller from both the patent and now the leaked photo and the USB type C is taling its place.
The purpose of the lightbar to start with was to be tracked by the camera and it's normal position must be the back of the controller, and on DS4 V2, they just made a little line transparent at the top of the trackpad to show the light from the LED which is stuffed inside the controller and revealed from the back.
What's the purpose of stuffing an entire LED light inside the controller now if it gonna be masked by the back, not being read by any camera or otehr device and just leave small transparent line to show it? Why such waste now for no purpose at all?
There is no lightbar in the controller and this is a fact.
Have you seen a ds5 controller turn on?

I have a hard time believing they will leave the touch pad for BC but not have some sort of led for psvr games.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Have you seen a ds5 controller turn on?

I have a hard time believing they will leave the touch pad for BC but not have some sort of led for psvr games.

The patent and the leaked photo don't show any sign of lightbar, 100000000% it doesn't exist on the back. You don't need a video proof for that. But I am still not sure how they gonna have a workaround for that if the lightbar isn't there and mostly in the back.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The patent and the leaked photo don't show any sign of lightbar, 100000000% it doesn't exist on the back. You don't need a video proof for that. But I am still not sure how they gonna have a workaround for that if the lightbar isn't there and mostly in the back.
The patent doesnt show the internals. We dont know if light can shine through the touchpad or not.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The patent doesnt show the internals. We dont know if light can shine through the touchpad or not.

That is why I said the patent and leaked photo don't show any proof of the lightbar in the back because it obviously it doesn't exist there and that is the most important reason for it. If the back doesn't have the lightbar, what's the use of including a LED inside the controller itself and make it shine through a tiny line from the trackpad to not serve in anything? Is there any logics for that?
Anyway from supposed leaks the DS5 was supposed to include IR in the back to be tracked somehow.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is why I said the patent and leaked photo don't show any proof of the lightbar in the back because it obviously it doesn't exist there and that is the most important reason for it. If the back doesn't have the lightbar, what's the use of including a LED inside the controller itself and make it shine through a tiny line from the trackpad to not serve in anything? Is there any logics for that?
Anyway from supposed leaks the DS5 was supposed to include IR in the back to be tracked somehow.
I ask again, have you seen a DS5 turn on?

In the patent there is small notch in the top-middle of the touch pad. Unlike the DS4 photo.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I ask again, have you seen a DS5 turn on?

You want a lightbar in it while it won't be eventhough I explained how this would be so useless and irrelevant with physical and logical proofs from this design?
I'll answer your question, I didn't see a DS5, but I am being pragmatic and analytic here, not imagining or believing or hoping or wanting like you are. Anyway, it's good to hope or imagine things you want, I myself really want the lightbar to stay, but don't get shocked if it won't.
And I would be very surprise dif they stuff a stealth or magicla lightbar in it in way that no rational person could imagine.

PS: a detective doesn't need to have seent he crime happening in fornt of his eyes or record it to confirm the crime and the perpetrator but he actually looks for proofs that lead him to the final conclusions.

Last edited:

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want a lightbar in it while it won't be eventhough I explained how this would be so useless and irrelevant with physical and logical proofs from this design?
I'll answer your question, I didn't see a DS5, but I am being pragmatic and analytic here, not imagining or believing or hoping or wanting like you are. Anyway, it's good to hope or imagine things you want, I myself really want the lightbar to stay, but don't get shocked if it won't.
And I would be very surprise dif they stuff a stealth or magicla lightabr in it in way that no rational perosn could imagine.
A lot of projection going on. I honestly dont care, i use move controllers for VR. Im just speaking objectively, it makes no sense when so many games use it. That and the notch on the top of the touch pad looks like it has a function.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of projection going on. I honestly dont care, i use move controllers for VR. Im just speaking objectively, it makes no sense when so many games use it. That and the notch on the top of the touch pad looks like it has a function.

The trackpad is used in games as a gameplay feature unlike the lightbar which is mostly a gimmick and an eye candy effect. If they find a workaround for the conroller to be tracked somehow by the PS4 camera or the PS5 camera through the rumored infra red sensors, that would work fine, otherwise, all they gonna have to do to ensure 100% BC with old games is to hook a DS4 and you will be done.
I won't lie to you I would really miss it tbh and especially in many games that use it very well in different conditions.
I really hoped for it to be replcaed by a touchscreen but it seems this is not happening.

That notch in the patent is just the USB type C port project in the front projection and not a slit. There is nothing carved or engraved on top of the touchpad.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
They said PS5 will be compatible with PSVR. Not DS4. They could emulate DS4 light bar with DS5 own internal detection (without light) planned for PSVR2.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The small light bar on the touchpad could be used for many different things. Local multiplayer to differentiate the different players through the Touchpad light color. There was always a small light indicator on any generation of controllers to indicate player 1,2...4 etc.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I hope they remove that V thing on the retail version, I just want a bland black box so it looks good on my set, I don't want tacky looking system

Think about it like this.

Sony will want a console that's cheap and easy to produce, quick and simple to open up up and repair, and that appeals to as many people as possible. The flying V we're seeing here is none of those things.

You're getting a black box.

Oct 26, 2017

'Entire LED light?'
A pair of Joy-cons has 9 LEDs between them, I think Sony will be able to stretch to a RGB one.

The small light bar on the touchpad could be used for many different things. Local multiplayer to differentiate the different players through the Touchpad light color. There was always a small light indicator on any generation of controllers to indicate player 1,2...4 etc.

Exactly, retaining the light strip through the touchpad would be the simplest way to deal with BC.
Iirc XBox One controller is the only exception to this idea, I think it was meant to use Kinect to number players or something.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think about it like this.

Sony will want a console that's cheap and easy to produce, quick and simple to open up up and repair, and that appeals to as many people as possible. The flying V we're seeing here is none of those things.

You're getting a black box.
I'm expecting a bland black box, but I think they will incorporate the V thing somewhere, not as prominently as this one though

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trackpad is used in games as a gameplay feature unlike the lightbar which is mostly a gimmick and an eye candy effect. If they find a workaround for the conroller to be tracked somehow by the PS4 camera or the PS5 camera through the rumored infra red sensors, that would work fine, otherwise, all they gonna have to do to ensure 100% BC with old games is to hook a DS4 and you will be done.
I won't lie to you I would really miss it tbh and especially in many games that use it very well in different conditions.
I really hoped for it to be replcaed by a touchscreen but it seems this is not happening.

That notch in the patent is just the USB type C port project in the front projection and not a slit. There is nothing carved or engraved on top of the touchpad.
How do you know that light doesnt shine through the touchpad? Which isnt indicated in the ds4 patent.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I swear on me mum, I am going to be very angry if the controller has a lightbar and Sony does not allow us to it turn it off. For that matter why, why, why in the name of all that is good, efficient and energy saving, did Sony never release a firmware that allowed users who DO NOT use VR or PS camera oriented games to turn off the damn LED?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I don't need a lightbar, but I damn sure want an RGB light somewhere, preferably on the controller face, that can be used to identify which controller belongs to which player and be available for devs to do cool shit with (displaying health status, changing colors in different modes, etc).

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
They said PS5 will be compatible with PSVR. Not DS4. They could emulate DS4 light bar with DS5 own internal detection (without light) planned for PSVR2.
I think they're going to tell people use Moves or DS4s if they want to play backward compatible PSVR games. There's no point burdening DS5 with any obsolete light stuff.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I like the lightbar and think it has its little neat uses like changing colors like if low health etc. Include it but just make it optional

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I like the lightbar and think it has its little neat uses like changing colors like if low health etc. Include it but just make it optional

yeah it's neat but totally pointless because you don't look down at the controller 99.9% of the time so never see the colour changes

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's neat but totally pointless because you don't look down at the controller 99.9% of the time so never see the colour changes
You can see it alot from the reflection in the TV tho. Or just being in a dark enough room and it reflecting off of stuff around you. The first time I noticed reflections were Tomb Raider 2013 and GTA V.

Its on the back of the controller, you would never have a reason to look at the front of the controller while playing unless with other folks in the room.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
call me nostradogmus but id bet the ps5 is a black rectangle

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Having a light on TOP of the controller wouldn't make any sense for tracking purpose... camera wouldn't be able to see and track that, it MUST to be on the back of the controller like DS4.

[the light that go through the touchpad of DS4 V2 has no tracking purpose, is there just to be easly seen by the user without moving the pad]