• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Those controllers are too obscured to get any noticable changes off them
People have overlayed the patent drawings for both ds4 and ds5, and the changes are quite small.

also

MGQs5l0.jpg

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully they fix the battery life, AND the horrible issue where if its left plugged in to charge, it will charge to 100% and then discharge until its completely dead within a day or two if you don't use it. Really poor and cheap circuit design.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Pretty stylish for a devkit. Wonder if the top section really needs that much air.

I dont think the consumer version will look like that, but if we are looking at high end zen2 CPUs, then thermals will need more cooling than ps4.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope the final shipped console takes a page from Microsoft's book on industrial design. The PS4 and PS4 Pro are ugly as fuck. Xbox One X is a wonderful looking machine. Also glad the DS4 is going to be a tad bit larger, will make it more comfortable.

Have I traveled back to the early 2000s or why do people think this looks good lol.
gamer taste.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really hope the final shipped console takes a page from Microsoft's book on industrial design. The PS4 and PS4 Pro are ugly as fuck. Xbox One X is a wonderful looking machine. Also glad the DS4 is going to be a tad bit larger, will make it more comfortable.

gamer taste.
Yeah this reminds me of alienware PCs and other edgy shit like that. On another note I think the PS4 Slim looks decent enough. Not like Xbox One X or S, but it's good enough. Can't agree with the DS5 being larger, 4 fits into my tiny hands perfectly. :/

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this reminds me of alienware PCs and other edgy shit like that. On another note I think the PS4 Slim looks decent enough. Not like Xbox One X or S, but it's good enough. Can't agree with the DS5 being larger, 4 fits into my tiny hands perfectly. :/
The Slim is the best of the PS4 family for sure. I personally think the triple stack of the Pro and the thick eraser look of the launch are both terrible. Xbox One launch console was ugly too.

I'm hoping they allow backwards compatibility with the DS4 for the PS5. It just makes sense given the investment many people have made in the PS4 and the minor changes made to the DS5 that we know about. But Sony hasn't said anything which makes me worried :(

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
they seriously kept the touchpad? they havent used it effectively for much.
I wonder if the current DS4 will be discontinued and the DS5 will be BC in addition to being bundled in PS4 retail boxes. this way they don't have to manufacture two sets of controllers.

isn't MS doing the same thing? I remember talk of maybe the Scarlett using the same controller we have now.

Last edited:

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Personally I wouldn't mind if the console actually looked like that. But how do we know that's the ds5? I still want that split controller. Both for VR and potato gaming

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if the current DS4 will be discontinued and the DS5 will be BC in addition to being bundled in PS4 retail boxes. this way they don't have to manufacture two sets of controllers.
I'm sure the ds4 will be much cheaper to make at this point than the ds5 and all the new things inside it.
They've said the ds4 will be forward compatible but not sure how the lack of rumble motors and global haptics would work with ps4.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's just a dev kit, so I'm not worried but the reactions in this thread remind me of that Seinfeld episode:

ERA: "Look, everybody! It's the PS5! Isn't it gorgeous? ISN'T IT GORGEOUS?!"

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
This sprung to mind at first, as well.

Would be even more of an elaborate scam this time round, especially with making two of them, and the new controller. And having access to the PS4 dev kits!

The Let's Go Digital renders got the colours correct, which is interesting. I wonder if they spoke to sources for that information, or if that could mean this is another fake... There's no tree reflections so we'll never know who did it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wish I could find the tweet about how the PS5 has a spot to "cool your dick when you get mad at the game" but I will never not be able to think about that when I see pics of this thing

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I actually kind of like the design.
I do hope they implement the V in the final design somehow.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's just a devkit, but usually devkits are just boring looking and not so aggressively hideous. Hopefully either the final design or the eventual slim design will be sleek and classy.

Who am I kidding? I'll still get one even if it's early-2000s-butt-ugly.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
As others have said, the controllers look quite similar to ps4 controllers minus the light bar. I wonder how VR will be handled without one. Maybe have it be compatible with DS4?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
As others have said, the controllers look quite similar to ps4 controllers minus the light bar. I wonder how VR will be handled without one. Maybe have it be compatible with DS4?
I think the DS5 will somehow emulate (sorry if that's not the best way to describe it) the lightbar, can't see Sony forcing people to go out to buy a DS4 if they don't have one already just so they can play their PS4VR games.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I think the DS5 will somehow emulate (sorry if that's not the best way to describe it) the lightbar, can't see Sony forcing people to go out to buy a DS4 if they don't have one already just so they can play their PS4VR games.
Would be interesting to see how the DS5 would do something like that.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR2 most probably will come with its own split controllers like Oculus Quest and for PSVR you'll need the DS4. But if you're buying PS5 and in market for a VR headset, why would you buy first gen PSVR anyway? And if you're planning on using first gen PSVR with PS5, you probably already have a DS4.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
PSVR2 most probably will come with its own split controllers like Oculus Quest and for PSVR you'll need the DS4. But if you're buying PS5 and in market for a VR headset, why would you buy first gen PSVR anyway? And if you're planning on using first gen PSVR with PS5, you probably already have a DS4.
Ah I see. I was assuming that PSVR 2 may work the same way psvr 1 does, but ps5 may have some built-in tracking hardware for a next-gen motion controller, like an advanced version of what the Wii had.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-next gen hype is the best hype. It reminds me of 2012/13 again.

We definitely need a proper "Your prediction for The Big Three at the end of The Next Generation" thread at some ppoint, just like back in the day, so anyone can tell the story why XBOX will definitely be vaporized, just like basically everyone was sure PlayStation would get creamed this gen.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
So I wish ps5 had ps2 elements. Isn't the ps2 a pretty neat design?
I love the design of the original PS2 and it's probably my favorite console design. I like the design of the Xbox One S and X very much for exactly that reason. There'd be no better news for me than the PS5 going back to a similar design, after the atrocious PS3 and whatever the PS4 was.