• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
This is supposedly coming from the Xenoblade 2 OST booklet which was just released today. If anyone has access to the booklet and knows Japanese, can you please verify?

Source

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Takahashi who said this, but Kojima.

Here's the alleged Japanese interview
『ゼノブレイド』のナンバリングは続けていきたいです。で、

一つ前が『ゼノブレイドクロス』という作品だったんですけど、これも大事にしていきたいなと思っています。
なので『ゼノブレイド』の3も出したいし、『クロス』の2も出していきたいし。
でもナンバリングばかりになっちゃうと、どうしてもだんだんネタがちょっと固まってきちゃうので、

全く新しい、完全オリジナルなものもまた一緒に並行して生み出したい。

高橋 個人的にはね、アメリカのケーブルテレビにあるドラマのような、
ABCとかね。ああいう系統の、エロティックでバイオレットで重たいやつがやりたい。
絶対無理だなあっていうね。

小島 いや別にできるんじゃないですか?次はそれでもいいじゃないですか。
光田 いいですね。
四條 CEROがね。
小島 『クロス』はZで走ればいいじゃないですか。
高橋 ほんとね、冗談抜きでちょっとZ系のやつはね、
一度好き放題やってみたいなって思いますね。

UPDATE:
He just says that he would like to make another Xenoblade sequel, but he would also really want to do a sequel to X, and at the same time he also really wants to do a brand new original story thing from scratch. There's no indication who is being quoted. But it sounds more like Takahashi than Kojima to me. The exchange below the block of text is completely unrelated. Takahashi, Kojima, Mitsuda and another guy are talking about how cable networks in the US can show sex and violence uncut and so on, and Takahashi was musing about how it would be nice to be able to do that but it's impossible, and Kojima was jokingly egging him on to make X a CERO Z game.

UPDATE 2:
Sorry if this has already been done, but I translated it:

We want to keep the numbering for the Xenoblade series going. So...

The game before this one was Xenoblade X, and we want to take good care of that too. So we want to get Xenoblade 3 out, but also a 2 for cross (X). But if we keep doing numbered titles, it's gonna get stale,

So we want to do something completely original too.

Takahashi: Me personally, I want to do something you'd see on an American cable drama like ABC. Violet and erotic and heavy. Something that there's no way we would be allowed to do it.

Kojima: No, I think we can do it. I think that's fine.

Mitsuda: Sounds good.

Yojō: The CERO... (Note: Japanese game ratings board)

Kojima: We can just go Z with X. (Note: the equivalent of M in America)

Takahashi: Completely serious though, I would like to do a Z rated game, and just do whatever the hell I feel like doing.

UPDATE 3:
Lugalbanda updated and translated the rest of the interview which includes additional quotes from Koh Kojima and Yasunori Mitsuda.

Preview:
Kojima: In regards to music, I'd like to take on surround sound. We actually had a proposal for it when we first started, but considering the money and time involved, we gave up on it. But hopefully, we'll get to do it someday. There are ways around surround sound with the proper tracks and sound effects. I'd also like to have tracks change depending on the events taking place in the game at the moment, and I'd like to take on those developmental challenges, tinkering with the system and consulting each other, if we had the time.

The rest of the interview can be viewed here

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully X2 comes first. Still the best in the series. (For me).

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let him make everything, stop at nothing. This man's mind should work unbounded.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
with Xenoblade 2 finding itself an audience I hope Nintendo will allow all of these projects to find their way.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you spent an entire game just on setup, you better eventually deliver something.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Much like the last 3 xeno games I look forward to falling for their hype, buying them, playing about 15 hours and hating 90% of my time with it.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well after XB2 I don't want a XB3. Afraid of how worst the series could get.

X2 on the other hand must be made.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Takahashi who said this, but Kojima.

Here's the alleged Japanese interview

『ゼノブレイド』のナンバリングは続けていきたいです。で、

一つ前が『ゼノブレイドクロス』という作品だったんですけど、これも大事にしていきたいなと思っています。
なので『ゼノブレイド』の3も出したいし、『クロス』の2も出していきたいし。
でもナンバリングばかりになっちゃうと、どうしてもだんだんネタがちょっと固まってきちゃうので、

全く新しい、完全オリジナルなものもまた一緒に並行して生み出したい。

高橋 個人的にはね、アメリカのケーブルテレビにあるドラマのような、
ABCとかね。ああいう系統の、エロティックでバイオレットで重たいやつがやりたい。
絶対無理だなあっていうね。

小島 いや別にできるんじゃないですか?次はそれでもいいじゃないですか。
光田 いいですね。
四條 CEROがね。
小島 『クロス』はZで走ればいいじゃないですか。
高橋 ほんとね、冗談抜きでちょっとZ系のやつはね、
一度好き放題やってみたいなって思いますね。

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
WHAT?

This is crazy, please do it!

I thought the series could have ended with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, if this is confirmed, I'm so happy.

(but first Xeno X on Switch, I skipped the Wii U)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Team up with Platinum for a stylish character action game where you play as Morag and Brighid, and the game totally ships them

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish a new character designer or artist is forced on them. Their designs have gone downhill after Baten Kaitos. Legit trash tier recently.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you wanted to wait, but it's nice to have a place to discuss this anyways.

X-2 may be my more anticipated sequel, but I know we'll have to wait at least a few years for it, if not almost a decade.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
So I'd assume it would be New Fantasy IP, Xenoblade X2 and then Xenoblade 3 in that order, probably?

Go for it

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
They should find a way to merge their worlds so that Alrest post-XC2 somehow connects to Planet Mira.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3X2!

Angry Chair

May 14, 2018
I'll probably skip Chronicles 3 because I hated everything about 2 other than battling. Day one for X2 if it picks up from the stupid cliffhanger.