• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL people tried to warn ya'll that this wouldn't be cheap and because of that, not a real threat to Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft. 🤣

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If the games on the subscription are decent, then I may be interested.

I'm not interested in paying per game on a streaming-only platform however, nevermind in addition to a sub, at least while my own local connectivity isn't reliable enough (it's not, I don't think).

I'm curious about the games Google will be funding, much more than the multiplat stuff.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ho fuck "dead on arrival" posts have appeared.

This will be a major success

Edit : it's a joke because era is often wrong on this kind of things, I personnally have no idea on how successful the thing will be, and we still miss some information to make a definitive judgement

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So its a mix of EA Acess Premier, but you don't have access to new games, have to pay a subscription, and have to use Chromecast.

Absolute failure if this is true.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
buying games to stream is beyond dumb. these services will only be appealing if it's a subscription giving you access to the whole library.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the FREE sub means that you only have to buy the game and not the console platform. So like, everyone already has a Stadia, and you buy a game like normal. So you buy AC Odyssey through the service once and you can play it on any web based device.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So am i understanding this correctly,they will eventually bring out a free subscription that will allow you to stream up to 1080p and you will buy the games but if you want 4K/60fps you also need to pay for the paid sub on top, even if you buy the games?

Thats absolutely terrible to me.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at 10$ a month I can't see who they're trying to appeal to here.

They don't really want to be Netflix, they want to be Playstation and Xbox without the upfront cost. It's going to be hard for them to market themselves that way without any exclusives and with the way they presented the service beforehand.

Because it's not coming officially by Google ?

La Presse is a serious journal, if they report on it it's most likely true.

So?

This is aimed at a market besides yours.

Which market though?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
edit - nevermind. Having to use Chromecast at launch is surprising and disappointing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So am i understanding this correctly,they will eventually bring out a free subscription that will allow you to stream up to 1080p and you will buy the games but if you want 4K/60fps you also need to pay for the paid sub on top, even if you buy the games?

that sounds terrible, so you have to buy the games AND pay for the privilege to play them at 4K?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh sub AND paying full price for new games? Thats ... who thought this is a good idea?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a shot, see how it is. But they're very much looking for early adopters here and then the free sub will be the rollout with demos etc. to try and grab a larger market I would expect.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'd pay $170 plus a monthly sub after 3 months and still have to pay again for new games on top of the sub price?? Fuck off lol how about you pay me $12 per month to try out that trash.

Besides my internet cant do all this streaming with data caps so go get on Comcasts case and get that shit fixed then come back to me with your streaming future.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People realise this isn't just targetting the typical gamer who already owns 3 consoles right?

A $11.99 a month sub sounds a lot more appealing to a kid's mum who is eyeing up a $300 console or $1000 PC for Christmas - but the upfront cost isn't ideal.

Personally I doubt I'll ever make use of this - but it could reach the point where it's cheaper to use something like this instead of upgrading my PC every few years. It couldn't replace consoles while there are system selling exclusives for me.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the 1080p stream is also 60fps it will be nice. If not, then it sucks.

The 1080p stream will be totally free. So you only need to buy the games.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
So if I wanna buy a new game on google stadia, can I only play it as stream only?

With Xcloud I'm assuming I'll have the option to play an Xbox title on console, pc or through streaming on any device.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Uhh sub AND paying full price for new games? Thats ... who thought this is a good idea?
It's the only way it'd work? Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get games for the service and a lot of publishers wouldn't be interested in using the service at all to push software. Have a lower "hardware" access cost and then charge for software or bundle it together for a far more expensive monthly fee.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, if you only have the free sub then you can't play the games you bought separately on Stadia for higher than 1080p.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So a sub and still buying the games. If I buy the title, should I not be able to just stream that title without a sub? Trust Google to make something interesting but obtuse at the same time.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So it's more like Vudu or Amazon Prime than Netflix. Older stuff free, but you can pay to own newer stuff.