• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I had low expectations and this information was worse than that if it's real. This sounds like ultra ass.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
People realise this isn't just targetting the typical gamer who already owns 3 consoles right?

A $11.99 a month sub sounds a lot more appealing to a kid's mum who is eyeing up a $300 console for Christmas - but the upfront cost isn't ideal.

Personally I doubt I'll ever make use of this - but it could reach the point where it's cheaper to use something like this instead of upgrading my PC every few years. It couldn't replace consoles while there are system selling exclusives for me.

Ah yes, the kid who asks for a Chromecast Ultra to play Destiny 2 and The Division 2.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
When I first heard of Stadia, I assumed you'd be able to plug in a controller and pay for a subscription giving you access to games, similar to what Netflix is doing with films; $15 a month or whatever it'd be for all in access. Now it's $169 just to jump in, plus a subscription fee, plus buying new games at full price? Yikes indeed.

Sony and Microsoft will be going to sleep sound tonight.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt you have to use Chromecast? I think that bundle is just an option. I'm sure you'll be able to play via PC/android etc.

From the leak in the OP

"- You'll need the Chromecast for Stadia to work at launch, but it's planned to work through any Google device with Google Chrome in 2020. "

BozoHarry

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland.
Sub and paying full price for new games is exactly what I'd expect. I'm not sure why something else was anticipated? It's the same way as Prime Video or Xbox Live works. GamePass and Prime subs don't get you every movie & game available on the platform.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No doubt the free option will be filled with advertising. Im excited about the tech, but wish it was being done by any other company than Google.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Well, maybe this can be a good thing for some countries I think, IF this works as advertise, I rather pay 11$~ for a "digital console" then paying 200$ or more for a console or PC. If they bring this for Brazil I can see a lot of people trying this out.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
This thing reads like it would bleed me of money. Thank goodness it doesn't pique my interest.

Genuinely fearful of them unleashing some properly enticing-looking exclusive in the coming hours. If I see Sleeping Dogs 2 then I'll have to pray to the gaming gods that it's timed or something.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean at 10$ a month I can't see who they're trying to appeal to here.

They don't really want to be Netflix, they want to be Playstation and Xbox without the upfront cost. It's going to be hard for them to market themselves that way without any exclusives and with the way they presented the service beforehand.

La Presse is a serious journal, if they report on it it's most likely true.

Which market though?
Console players are already paying $5/mo just to play online.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So, I guess the real hook is the library of old games plus no box? I guess I can see why it would be attractive to some people with nice internet speeds, especially parents looking for a cheap alternative to consoles... I guess?

As presented, though, this will not go down well with the core gaming community. At all.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
From the leak in the OP

"- You'll need the Chromecast for Stadia to work at launch, but it's planned to work through any Google device with Google Chrome in 2020. "

Oh shit, sorry. I missed that totally.

Uh, that's terrible.

I think this is their way of throttling demand at launch, basically a soft launch. I guess this cloud scaling stuff isn't so easy afterall, even for 'the big guys'.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
No doubt the free option will be filled with advertising. Im excited about the tech, but wish it was being done by any other company than Google.
Any other company that is going to enable you free access to hardware and bandwith is going to advertise you to hell otherwise they're going to make 0 money. They're not just going to rely on the little bit of money they take off the top of software sales.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Engadget accidentally broke embargo for a story on Destiny 2 going F2P that includes this nugget:

"The game will also debut on Google's cloud gaming platform, which is due to launch in November.

That corroborates OP's link. Guess it's confirmed?

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Has anyone had any impressions of the controller? I feel like controllers are something so fundamental that most new players who try to enter the industry botch.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only way it'd work? Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get games for the service and a lot of publishers wouldn't be interested in using the service at all to push software. Have a lower "hardware" access cost and then charge for software or bundle it together for a far more expensive monthly fee.

Here's the issue: I have Amazon Prime, i buy ... John Wick 3 from the Prime Video store, i'll cancel my Prime sub. Sure, i don't have the free movies anymore, but i can still watch John Wick 3.

Issue nailed down: You can't play anymore without the sub, EVEN THOUGH you paid full price for the game.

How is this the only way i will/would work? This is TERRIBLE, good grief.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
To clarify here, does the Pro sub include a game?

You've edited out the bits that answer your question
Stadia works through a subscription only at first. The Stadia Pro sub costs 11.99$ per month and will include streaming up to 4K/60fps. Note that only "older" games will be included in this sub, and more recent games will have to be bought separately.
- A separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Did people expect a service that includes every game ever released on release day for $12/ month or something?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People expecting every new game to be available through one single subscription GTFO lol, Xbox and EA only do this to their own first party games but who does this with every new game available ??

You guys need to stop, it's not even logical lol
We're all cheap but we have to hide it sometimes

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, if you only have the free sub then you can't play the games you bought separately on Stadia for higher than 1080p.
Thats what i thought.

Absolutely terrible.

While you do get access to the old games library, the fact is that over the course of a console lifetime you would spend more on Stradia then by instead buying a console upfront and you would get a better quality version too that doesnt require a constant internet connection.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
having to pay a subscription and still buy new games doesn't sound great. Also the fact it will only work on Chromecast in 2019 is a bummer. One of the coolest things imo was stuff like the Chrome integration, which won't even be there at launch.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
People thought it would just be a subscription service? No 3rd party is going to put their new games on there just to get a small cut of a subscription.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Phil Harrisons career if that's the launch.

Had a very good career until the PS3 with Sony. Since then it's like nose dived a lot. Seems like a good guy but like with the Xbox one at the start he doesn't seem to get gamers these days.

Sony and MS with their offerings can give you 1000 games at launch probably. They will give you better value for your money. I just can't see google competing with them. For a subscription service to be successful it needs a strong catalogue of games. This isn't like Netflix where you can buy rights to old movies. Google has no background unless they buy someone like Sega or some other companies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an elaborate plan to get chromecasts into folk's houses, elaborate but not good

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see how they try to sell "Pay full price for a game that you can't play at all without keeping up a subscription".

I thought they were going for the Netflix model.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
If true (which I assume it is), then this is a terrible first look. I'm still excited for the streaming future, but now my hopes are solely with Microsoft.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Seems reasonable for me.

A sub with some games and then you buy the new releases. It's how it works with GamePass after all. And in this case you don't have to pay 400/500 euros for a console.

But from the looks of it this thing will only be at full force in 2020. If everything here was at launch (the two sub tiers, Chrome support) then it would be more interesting.

I wonder how it will work via wi-fi and how good the chip in that Chromecast is.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
People expecting every new game to be available through one single subscription GTFO lol, Xbox and EA only do this to their own first party games who does this with every new game??

You guys need to stop it's not even logical lol

This is the rock and the hard place of streaming services with no local play options.

You need a per-game monetisation model to attract the latest and greatest content.

People don't want to pay per-game on a streaming service, with no local play options - they want the netflix model. (Or at least this is the vibe I'm getting - maybe the market will prove me wrong!)

m23

Oct 25, 2017
having to pay a subscription and still buy new games doesn't sound great. Also the fact it will only work on Chromecast in 2019 is a bummer. One of the coolest things imo was stuff like the Chrome integration, which won't even be there at launch.

I was willing to try it at least via Chrome, but I'm not buying a Chromecast just to try it out.

Huh.

Is it expected that for a monthly cost, Xbox users will be able to stream their entire catalogue?

Because that would be way better than this

I think if anything, XCloud will allow you to stream games in Gamepass.