• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, the general news site Lapresse.ca published this morning a big feature on the Google Stadia with detailed prices, launch date and games details. There's no mention of it coming from sources, so it feels like a prepared article that got published too early. It's in French so here's a brief summary:

(note: it's a canadian website so it's a possibility all prices are in canadian dollars, and not american dollars)

- Launch in November in 14 countries (including Canada)
- You can preorder the "founder's edition" of Stadia for 169$ today, which includes the gamepad, a Chromecast Ultra (which is 6cm in length), Destiny 2 and three months of subscription
- Stadia works through a subscription only at first. The Stadia Pro sub costs 11.99$ per month and will include streaming up to 4K/60fps. Note that only "older" games will be included in this sub, and more recent games will have to be bought separately.
- A separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.
- 10mbps in download/1mbp in upload is the minimal requirement, with 35mbps required for 4K "optimal comfort".
- You'll need the Chromecast for Stadia to work at launch, but it's planned to work through any Google device with Google Chrome in 2020.
- Games planned include Destiny 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Divison 2, DOOM, all three Tomb Raider games.
- Line-up will have 31 games at launch.

UPDATE: Jason Schreier confirms

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
so you have to buy new games at full price to stream them at a shitty bitrate? lol

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
So youll have to pay for a sub and then pay for the games as they come out? Thats gonna be a no for me dawg. A simple netflix style sub I would have have bitten.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.

I don't get this part. So you can only play games you buy like normal so what's the point of the sub?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People have to buy the games? If you have interest in AC or DOOM you probably already have it somewhere

Destiny 2 was free on PS+ and PC not long ago

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
so you have to buy new games at full price to stream them at a shitty bitrate? lol
I don't see why anyone would expect any different. Almost 100% guaranteed you're going to have a hardware access fee which I'm 100% sure will be far more than $12 + the cost of games. No way in fuck they're just gonna let you use that hardware for free

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.

I don't get this part. So you can only play games you buy like normal so what's the point of the sub?

It's more of a "free formula" than a sub. It's like having only a PS4, as opposed to a PS4 with PS+.

People have to buy the games? If you have interest in AC or DOOM you probably already have it somewhere

Destiny 2 was free on PS+ and PC not long ago

Only new games have to be bought, older games are included in the sub.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Meh if true
Even with the Stadia Pro at $12/month, you can't access new titles

At least with xCloud, MS would provide its own 1st party day one like GamePass I guess

And it's time for Sony to lower the monthly price of PS Now

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Canadian prices:

Chromecast Ultra: $90
Three months subscription: $36

So $43 CAD for access to Destiny 2 and a gamepad.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this has all the hallmarks of a Google product. Big flashy reveals that amount to very little, and eventually are silently cancelled in 18 months time.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What does it mean? If games aren't included what are you subbing for?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I didn't got it like that. If that's the case then wh would I use Stadia instead of the free Remote Play?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Dead on arrival. Why would someone buy a game to stream it when they can just buy it on any other platform?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If that bit about having to buy newer games is true, then they've lost me.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So youll have to pay for a sub and then pay for the games as they come out? Thats gonna be a no for me dawg. A simple netflix style sub I would have have bitten.

If this is right you'll have to pay a sub in some early adopter period, and then afterwards you'll only have to pay a sub for 4k. It's not exactly where I want it to be (no consumer-facing server costs at all), but it's still pretty aggressive.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Having to buy the games on top of paying for a subscription is pretty damn stupid..if this leak is legit that's a mega fail google.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I was kinda expecting games would have to be bought separately.
Now I wonder, what will be the price for this ? Will it have a time limit ?

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Seems overly complicated and underwhelming. Not for me

Edit: Wait, you have to pay a subscription for the privilege of playing games you purchased separately? The fuck? That's nasty

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting question would be whether the authentication tech can in any way integrate with my existing library - something like GoG Connect that could look at your Steam account and unlock games you already own but allow you to play them with the Stadia remote hardware if your PC isn't up to scratch has potential. Probably a pro-sub-only thing in that context, of course.