• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So, why would they run away ?

Is the company in a bad position ?
Insane crunch ?
No way to evolve in this company ?
Akihiro Hino being a dictator ?

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to think it was just the western branch in bad shape, but it seems like things aren't easy at their home base either. Wonder what caused so many employees to leave.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think it was just the western branch in bad shape, but it seems like things aren't easy at their home base either. Wonder what caused so many employees to leave.
I keep forgetting the western branch even exists

they need to hit hard with Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch 4 or else 2019 will not be a happy year for them

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
That's really sad. Even though I'm not in the target market for most of their games they always make me feel like a kid again when I play them. They have a really good Saturday morning cartoon vibe no one else seems to capture.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

Don't know why developers might have left, if the rumor is true. But Level5 attempted a 180° turn towards Smartphone games not too long ago. The majority on what they worked on was Smartphone games bound, most of which didn't succeed or suffered major delays. Maybe some developers might not have been too happy where Level5 was heading towards.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's a real shame. During the ps2 era and DS they had some really great output. I wonder what went wrong.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, why would they run away ?

Is the company in a bad position ?
Insane crunch ?
No way to evolve in this company ?
Akihiro Hino being a dictator ?
Probably because they keep trying to chase their next Yokai Watch-level success and it's not been working out for them. I legit wouldn't be surprised if they're not around in the next couple of years.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big blow for Switch personally since I really like their handheld output and I always get Nintendo handheld due to their games on there. Yokai was shaping up nicely too

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big blow for Switch personally since I really like their handheld output and I always get Nintendo handheld due to their games on there. Yokai was shaping up nicely too
I can see Nintendo stepping in to prop them up, if need be. particularly for the japanese market.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be shocked if they acquire them, they can at least let L5 help GF when it comes to presentation and performamce department
that's a lot of waste to acquire. Nintendo would be better off writing them checks for shit and letting them handle multimedia. think Intelligent Systems, or HAL and Warpstar, or The Pokemon Company

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
N
O wonders fantasy life online suffered from lack of new contents and delayed updates

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Damn. They have been trying their hardest with Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven, probably wasn't enough. After the DS Years where they were on a high thanks to Layton, it always felt like they just couldn't get there again. Hopefully the talent lands back on their feet if true, Capcom and Nintendo would be great fits.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny, I was thinking the same thing. I've seen multiple developers mention that Cygames gave them a tour of the offices and got them to join.

Yeah, they're gonna grab a lot of talent in the years to come. If their announced projects are successful then whew, should be a very bright future for them.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow Level 5 like *that*, but wouldn't this news be coming outta left field?

I dunno, we had an entitled thread the other day where its OP went pretty hard on Level 5 missing deadlines and delaying projects.

I think this doesn't seem like shocking news for people who have been following the company, it seems, hence why there might be some weight to this.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a translation of the article? And is the Japanese site reputable? I don't really trust GoNintendo.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wonder where this article got its information from. It doesn't share a lot of information about the employee exodus, yet Level-5 is a private company, so this kind of information is hard to get. The article doesn't say they have spoken to former employees or deduced a research on this topic.

Of course they're having a lot of troubles in finding success on mobile and the company didn't have to transition to HD development until now, but those aren't necessarily reasons why staff would leave en masse. (It should also be noted that Ni no Kuni II, which arguably is one of their first HD projects, is the one with the least public delays.)

Of course, a lot of staff leaving on top of that is causing a lot of trouble for a company in a time like this, but I don't understand why that's happening, unless something else is going on inside the company, such as a change in philosophy or project management/leadership.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, we had an entitled thread the other day where its OP went pretty hard on Level 5 missing deadlines and delaying projects.

I think this doesn't seem like shocking news for people who have been following the company, it seems, hence why there might be some weight to this.
Hi. I'm the entitled OP.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, Level 5, what are you doing. It hurts enough we you mismanage IPs but this is getting serious.

Oct 31, 2017

Tensei gave some calls and everyone joined him.

is this the developer of Rouge Galaxy??

Rogue Galaxy, yeah.

Yep, same guys that did dark cloud and worked on DQ8 with square enix.

They also did DQ9 with SE.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working for a company that just had a mass exodus. Shit sucks.

A mass exodus in Japan is particularly disturbing, because Japanese work culture is very stringent in general. Shitty workplaces are the norm.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man what happened, they seem to been riding high with Yokai Watch

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Quote from the other Inazuma Eleven thread:

For the record, I would have made this thread, but I couldn't filter my thoughts into something nicer. This really is just humiliating for Level-5. This gen has been a disaster for them.

Ni no Kuni 2 was fraught with development issues, went over budget, and sold, uh... Not so great. So its engine is the basis for Yo-kai Watch 4 and Inazuma Eleven Ares. Both, but specifically the latter, have faced multiple delays with development issues cited as the root problem, and they have completely clogged up the Level-5 business model of cross-media promotion. Now Inazuma Eleven has seen like 5 skipped weeks in its anime in the past 2 months because they are desperately trying to keep the show from getting so far ahead that it would be impossible for the games to catch up. In addition, toy sales, their only solid income source from the property, are down. Then, Merry Christmas, Ares is delayed for a 5th time.

This gen has brought Level-5 to its knees. It's really depressing to watch.

EDIT: And this is not to mention the botched Switch accessory line launch, the ID holder line that got cancelled because of dismal pre-order numbers, and the clear budget nosedive in the anime these past few months.

This seems to highlight a number of issues going on at Level 5 recently.