• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It aiming for a PS5 launch window release is my little out there next gen bet. I think it'll be revealed before PS5 is out, probably E3 2020.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Let's tally off what is known about Spider Man 2.

- It is happening within the first few years of PS5 because of course it is.
- It is continuing the story from the ending and post credits scene of Spider Man on ps4.
- It is getting a sequel because the first one sold 10+ million
- Horizon and God of War are both getting AAA exclusive sequels because of course they are.
- Playstation recently acquired Insomniac Games (What could this mean. ;) )
- Spider Man 2 will be on Playstation 5 within the first year or two of the consoles life cycle in consumer hands.

You heard it here.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holiday 2021 is exactly 3 years that's when we should expect it. If it was a launch game for PS5, that would be unexpected.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Give me better side-quests instead of boring ones and "collect the dots" (I don't care if it's collecting backpacks or "collecting" construction sites, it's same collect-a-thon shit) and I'll gladly play it.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
2021 seems about right actually. The engine is already there. Manhattan is already built. I guess for the next game they'll add one of the other boroughs, which isn't as big as Manhattan. So 3 years dev time seems entirely realistic (imo).

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
giphy.gif
Lovely. 😛
They really need to include a Peter Parker skin.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
To echo the majority of the responses here, most people were hoping for holiday 2020. I was expecting holiday 2020 or Q1 2021.

"Holiday 2021" is not sooner than I was expecting. It's not sooner than anyone was expecting.

...but I am getting a laugh out of the posts that didn't read the actual OP and are celebrating. "Sooner? That's awesome! happyreaction.gif"

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's a tad too automatic imo. It feels great but I never feel completely in control. There is room for manual improvement.

100% they prioritized good looking animations and transitions over control and relegated precision to the web zip which was boring. If they refine it to have some more weight and momentum it would be a dream.

The biggest change I hope for in a sequel is to feel less like a cop and throw more villains at you.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not suprising, i would think Insomniac was thinking about the feature when making the first one.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn...imagine this with the power of the PS5. Thousands of cars, NPCs and objects in the streets, ray tracing, 4K,....

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
The first game took what, 4 years to make? The second one coming in 2021 or 2022 makes perfect sense

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2021 is when I always would have guessed. If it's 2020 I'd be genuinely surprised and actually somewhat concerned that an unfinished product is being shoved out the door in order to launch with the PS5.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Would not surprise me to see Spider-Man 2 in the first couple years of PS5's life, Disney probably wants a somewhat consistent release schedule for the marvel games.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, still a 3 year wait from part 1, about what you would expect.
Insomniac used to drop a game a year...

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I've thought that Spidey could definitely be the "Breath of the Wild" killer launch for PS5. I see every console from here on out having a really heavy hitting first party title and I really think Spider Man might be it.

In terms of Launch titles I'd say Horizon Zero Dawn 2, GT7 and TLoU 2 (Cross Gen) will have that covered

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Would prefer if they take their time and do a 2022 release.

Spider-Man was good, but not extraordinary. Hope the sequel is a bit more ambitious and original.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The last game came out in 2018. Releasing a direct and maybe cross-gen sequel in 3 years makes sense. Here is my take. P5 is the main platform with a P4 Pro version. They could make the last-gen version digital-only or something to not confuse customers and to push the Pro. No baseline PS4 version though. I want a leap.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't sooner than I thought. ;)
I honestly expect Horizon Zero Dawn 2 to either be a launch game in November or in the first half of 2021, and Spider-Man 2 in the second half of 2021.

Yeah but I suppose "Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 will come exactly when you're expecting it" isn't much of a headline.
That is true, lol.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac has always worked quick.

Also I would guess they will reuse the NYC map... because what are they gonna do? Completely remake it? Move Spider-Man to any other city?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also I would guess they will reuse the NYC map... because what are they gonna do? Completely remake it? Move Spider-Man to any other city?

I do expect/hope that they will in relation to the big power boost of the PS5 also make New York bigger and more detailed. I'd be pretty disappointed if they simply reuse the exact same map and exact same building assets.

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac has always worked quick.

I mean it's not like that game covered anywhere near the entirety of the city so there's a hell of a lot of room for expansion.