• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you in, hooman? (NOTE: Vote-changing disabled!)

• #TeamReal

Votes: 2,046 67.7%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 978 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hmm, still not seeing it.

All I see is this kid's face. Eyes wide with his mouth open.

KlENJYk.jpg
bestmoviewalls_image.jpg

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if they were just going to leak it themselves why not just take photos? It wouldn't lead back to them and they'd probably be a better quality image. I'm not on Team Real or Team Fake. At this point, both options are way to ridiculous for me to bet on.
I don't think they were trying to leak it, they were just fucking around at work. the friend would have been the one who got excited, took the screenshot, and leaked it.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh, I've had a ton of shitty friends in my life and I've definitely been bored at work, but this is still another game entirely. Even with the shitty friends I've had, I've never had a friend so shitty that if I had randomly trusted them with a major piece of news that could easily get me fired (possibly blacklisted given how big the client it), they would immediately betray it and leak it on the internet. Like at that point, they're officially not a shitty friend, they're just an asshole who got you fired.

That is basically what happened with the ESRB leak for Smash 4.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Relaxalax, Introspective, NintendoWire and even Artsy Omni are all leaning towards real at the moment, from what I've seen.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a good reason to exclude a character if all the roster will be revealed before release.
Another leaker, Vergeben, had hinted at a second Square character a few weeks ago, but he wasn't sure he or she would be on the base roster. My assumption is that, if the "missing character" is from Square, it will probably be DLC, hence why it wouldn't show up in the banner.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
In support of Team Fake, has anyone stopped to consider how crazy it is that Microsoft would actually allow Nintendo to use Banjo Kazooie for Smash Bros? Or is anything possible now?
To be fair, it's not like Microsoft is using a good chuck of Rare's output outside of that Rare Collection, Killer Instinct and recently Battletoads. Might as well give the keys to someone who gives more of damn about at least one of them (Banjo in this case). That's of course if this rumor is even true.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
This maybe? Smash comes out on the 7th, right? When are the Game Awards? Maybe it's an unknown Metroid character? Or a character from a game that's to be announced in a potential november Direct.

If "the roster was finalized in 2015" is the main/only reason for no Arms or XC2 reps, I have a hard time believing somebody from a completely unannounced game is in.

If I remember correctly, didn't they announce Corrin as DLC when they announced Fates for 3DS? They'll probably do that with the new FE character in the spring, along with Ribbon Girl/Spring Man, everyone's weird XC2 rep, a Gen 7/Gen 8 Pokemon (if Incineroar actually isn't in), a new game's rep, and one more weird throwback.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But if they were just going to leak it themselves why not just take photos? It wouldn't lead back to them and they'd probably be a better quality image. I'm not on Team Real or Team Fake. At this point, both options are way to ridiculous for me to bet on.
Probably decided to fuck around and show it briefly for funsies and in badly censoring their name or whatever still got it traced back to him.

If they were intentionally leaking it maybe he didn't realize that it wasn't a great enough image that could be taken on it's own or wanted to provide a fake looking leak not have anything that lead back to them and have some chuckles thinking they fooled everyone but then people figured out the guy's name

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I can't imagine #teamincomplete being legit unless the extra characters are DLC.

the only reason not to include a character on the banner is if they're from something unreleased and won't be released until launch day, and if that's the case... what completely new character could warrant being in Smash?

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I can't imagine #teamincomplete being legit unless the extra characters are DLC.

the only reason not to include a character on the banner is if they're from something unreleased and won't be released until launch day, and if that's the case... what completely new character could warrant being in Smash?

Yeah plus Sakurai doesn't start working on DLC until the game is done. Even Mewtwo was announced after Smash 3DS came out and that was a freebie bonus

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
In support of Team Fake, has anyone stopped to consider how crazy it is that Microsoft would actually allow Nintendo to use Banjo Kazooie for Smash Bros? Or is anything possible now?

I've never understood this line of thinking. If anything MS is the one who benefits from this. Smash bros is going to sell a shit load with or without banjo, I doubt he really impacts the sales much at all. But for banjo it's like the ultimate marketing you could ever hope for. As many as 20+ million people will see him in smash bros and the direct announcing him will bring a ton of hype to the character.

If MS ever intends to use the character/brand again what better way to market it?

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow how the highlighted bit has anything to do with the other quote but just as an fyi right now you're just continuing to be condescending.

If you just came in here to drive-by shitpost without reading anything then why even bother, man

condescending to who?
There are only scenarios that paint this guy as either a fraud or a fool, and even if it were real why is he being championed? Its directly questioning the validity of the rumor so you don't get to tone police that.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything I would be surprised that Nintendo wants to promote a rival's franchise on smash, not the other way around

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
At least we now know that Grinch thing is not new art, still doesn't debunk it since the movie is releasing in like two weeks so no need for new art I guess.

The new art isn't the dog, it's that he's standing behind the Grinch's back. There are no renders of the Grinch's back out there, that anyone has seen, besides a poster with completely different lighting and he's wearing a scarf in that.

It could have been faked but the question is... why???

(also good morning everyone, surprised it hasn't been proven fake yet, doesn't even seem like more evidence has come out?)

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
condescending to who?
There are only scenarios that paint this guy as either a fraud or a fool, and even if it were real why is he being championed? Its directly questioning the validity of the rumor so you don't get to tone police that.

I've literally just explained two scenarios where he is neither a fraud nor a fool. You're being narrow-minded because you can't fathom other possibilities than the reality you've painted in your head

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood this line of thinking. If anything MS is the one who benefits from this. Smash bros is going to sell a shit load with or without banjo, I doubt he really impacts the sales much at all. But for banjo it's like the ultimate marketing you could ever hope for. As many as 20+ million people will see him in smash bros and the direct announcing him will bring a ton of hype to the character.

If MS ever intends to use the character/brand again what better way to market it?
Why is that so hard to understand? How many times has a platform holder allowed their IP to appear in another platform holder's game on a competing machine? Zero?

I'm not saying this is impossible - I'm leaning on real here - and as others have pointed out, Phil Spencer has said he would allow it. But let's not pretend this isn't unprecedented.

FleenerW

Oct 25, 2017

Banner characters in a November Direct and then the missing character revealed on December 6th at the Game Awards is my guess. Probably Dante or Sora.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The new art isn't the dog, it's that he's standing behind the Grinch's back. There are no renders of the Grinch's back out there, that anyone has seen, besides a poster with completely different lighting and he's wearing a scarf in that.

It could have been faked but the question is... why???

(also good morning everyone, surprised it hasn't been proven fake yet, doesn't even seem like more evidence has come out?)

Oh damn, didn't get it then. Good. I guess we'll wait and see, hopefully not for too long.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Also makes me wonder if this is the leak that apparently ruffled feathers, just in picture form.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is that so hard to understand? How many times has a platform holder allowed their IP to appear in another platform holder's game on a competing machine? Zero?

I'm not saying this is impossible - I'm leaning on real here - and as others have pointed out, Phil Spencer has said he would allow it. But let's not pretend this isn't unprecedented.

On the other hand, Nintendo's relationship with Microsoft has always been friendly and Microsoft has released games for Nintendo platforms before, even letting their own developers remake Diddy Kong Racing for the DS. So it wouldn't be that surprising.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did people forget we predicted DLC characters or a dlc character to be revealed at the Game Awards. That would be a missing character.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Why is that so hard to understand? How many times has a platform holder allowed their IP to appear in on another platform holder's game on a competing machine? Zero?

You're right but tbh it's not that crazy. If MS is working on a new Banjo game, this would be great publicity for it. If MS isn't working on a new Banjo game, well, then tbh I don't really think they care about the IP anymore given how long ago it was since N&B. Regarding the IP on another platform thing, MS has done it before with Diddy Kong Racing DS, and they were also developing Halo DS before the Nintendo/Microsoft fallout, which has since seemingly been mended. I agree though that this is a bit unprecedented, but it's not really crazy anymore.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This guy is saying his source said Banjo Kazooie is real and he trusts his source.

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how seriously we all take this shit; that guy has the tone of a news reporter discussing some major coverup or enquiry... whilst discussing whether or not a fictional bird and bear will be in a game where Pikachu beats the snot out of Mario's girlfriend. I just love it.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally just explained two scenarios where he is neither a fraud nor a fool. You're being narrow-minded because you can't fathom other possibilities than the reality you've painted in your head

If hes really the one who put "fuck Nintendo lol" then that's even more reason to think this guy is not a particularly mature or bright individual, in the scenario that it was an actual leak (which I don't find likely)

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What exactly happened with that leak? How far in advance was it to release?

Around the same time this leak happened, one month and half before release. Some kid got ahold of some video and info for the ESRB classification from a friend or something (or his friends' dad, I don't really Remember), and spilled the beans iirc

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Sakurai doesn't do DLC before the game is finished
There's always the possibility of getting an announcement like Mewtwo in 2014

Since when was Vergeben hinting at two Square newcomers? I don't remember that.

I would welcome Sora though, I wouldn't have any right to complain about roster picks besides Incineroar if the banner ends up being real.
I may be conflating Vergeben with Imran's hint about more than one Square rep.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Also, Banjo and Conker were removed from that Diddy Kong Racing remake. Did Microsoft have their teams make that game though?

But there was that Banjo GBA game.

So no idea.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
If hes really the one who put "fuck Nintendo lol" then that's even more reason to think this guy is not a particularly mature or bright individual, in the scenario that it was an actual leak (which I don't find likely)

You're the old man who didn't even know how Snapchat works. It sounds more like you're disconnected with how people other than you think, so listening to you pretentiously judging people for not being mature or bright is just lol

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
There's always the possibility of getting an announcement like Mewtwo in 2014

I may be conflating Vergeben with Imran's hint about more than one Square rep.

Yeah but that announcement came after the game had been released for 3DS. That was a freebie bonus for people who bought both versions of the game. It'd be a weird design strategy to randomly start working on one character after the others, but yeah absolutely I will agree that it is a potential possibility. I think it's unlikely but not impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.