• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you in, hooman? (NOTE: Vote-changing disabled!)

• #TeamReal

Votes: 2,046 67.7%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 978 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
This honestly looks as real as it gets. There's a certain straightforwardness in fakes that is not present here, this is real af.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Just woke up. Did I miss anything overnight and over the last 30 pages?

@ me if you want something worthwhile in the OP

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
It's fair, I can see where Thatguy is coming from. I think there's more to the picture, but Thatguy's method would work, the blurriness would hide a lot of the sloppy Photoshop work that cutting up some renders would create. I still don't believe the wristband thing is fake though. It's just... Why a wristband? Why not place it on the paper so it looks like it's for the cylinder shaped banner? There's too much 'strange' things going on to discredit it as "fake because it's blurry".

Theyre probably laying it out to see how it would look and then potentially wrapping it around the sign later. That goes for the grinch art as well. Its something you hang from a ceiling. Why are people saying these are accessories?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Theyre probably laying it out to see how it would look and then potentially wrapping it around the sign later. That goes for the grinch art as well. Its something you hang from a ceiling.
Yeah I understand that. But why include the wristband? Why not just print out the banner on the same paper as the sign, or a piece of paper next to it? If you would create this leak and want it to look real, would you really use a wristband of all things?

I never got the wristband bit
It looks huge for a wristband.
The thing next to it kinda looks like a receipt from a cash register to me. If you use a receipt for scale it's looks about wristband size to me.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I think you can see the Castle around Zelda's hands on the image in the banner with the characters. So if the banner with the characters doesn't use the same ones can it really be used against the leak?

lz0DPCt.jpg
I'm not quite sure what you mean... If the banner with the characters doesn't use the same what? The castle behind Zelda's hand appears to be present in the clean E3 version and there's a vague shape in the leak version that could be the same castle, the image quality makes it hard to confirm or deny it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite sure what you mean... If the banner with the characters doesn't use the same what? The castle behind Zelda's hand appears to be present in the clean E3 version and there's a vague shape in the leak version that could be the same castle, the image quality makes it hard to confirm or deny it.

I dunno, I think I still see a vaguely T-shaped object right near Zelda's arm which lines up with the castle.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pondering if the empty Battlefield is used for the Banner for the characters and if it even matters for the leak. Maybe the empty Battlefield we see here is just an early version.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing.

Sakurai is a man who is probably sick of all these leaks ruining the surprises for newcomers. So since this is his fifth game, he made damn well sure none of it is getting out and is only letting close people to him know who is going to be in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he threw in a red herring like Fire Tiger dude because people would believe in such a safe bet. So, these insider would say they know who's going to be in the game and denounce any leak that doesn't have him in leading to a massive surprise when all the character are unveiled and everybody is excited and happy.

Thing is, there was a bit of a unknown factor at work here, most leaks are people trying to get attention and say they have inside information even if they are BSing. This leak however is just a bad coincidence of Snap chatting with his friend and a small band with the mural of all the characters on it got on it. Considering that the game is finished and there is a massive event happening soon, it makes sense for all this stuff to come out. I mean it was going to happen anyway considering the history of Smash leak, but people are starved for information since Isabelle and this guy's friend decided to ruin his life by posting this information online.

Some of this stuff lines up like

The toy gun that Sakurai bought looks like Mach Rider's
Shadows disappearance of his assist trophy
Mach Rider fits the bill of a weird retro rep
Little details in the mural like the Venus Djinn next to Isaac and the placement of some characters

If this whole thing is a fake, I find it harder to believe than it being real

Sometimes realism is stranger than fiction

Oct 25, 2017
The arguments I've seen made in this leak's favor are compelling. #TeamReal it is.

Also, I made an avatar bet against Incineroar's inclusion despite being certain he'd make the cut, and I'm sticking to my guns.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
That looks very big to wrap around someone's wrist to me. It's way too long. You're supposed to be able to see the entire roster and the Super Smash Bros logo, who has wrist big enough for that to fit all the way around?
You're correct, I don't believe that the people who think it's a wristband are thinking it through. To me it looks more like a circular banner.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, but it's not a wristband. Look at the thing in the background. It's a circular banner being held up by strings.
7dTPvCM.png

Like so. (Apologies for my poopy ms paint drawing)

That looks very big to wrap around someone's wrist to me. It's way too long. You're supposed to be able to see the entire roster and the Super Smash Bros logo, who has wrist big enough for that to fit all the way around?

The circular banner could be a separate piece of item. It definitely looks the size of a wristband to me, next to the receipt and sticker, but yeah idk maybe you're right. It doesn't really matter since it neither increases nor decreases the veracity of the leak though

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I see the air has gotten tense sound here... still on #Teamreal though! I don't find the background discovery to be compelling evidence against the leak. If that's the best there is against it after a whole day than I don't think something better will be found.

Art could simply not be finalized, the castle could have been removed (Promotial art for Mario Oddessey was changed around a few times as well) https://twitter.com/dylanminori/status/1055313056090243073?s=21

Castle still could be there like other "missing" touches but not clearly visible because of bluriness.

Backdrop could have more versions with slight variations.

It's just not the conclusive stuff that puts the leak to its' grave.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Here's the thing.

Sakurai is a man who is probably sick of all these leaks ruining the surprises for newcomers. So since this is his fifth game, he made damn well sure none of it is getting out and is only letting close people to him know who is going to be in the game.

Utter nonsense. There's hundreds of people involved in planning, designing, programming, testing, localizing, marketing, balancing, and managing a project like this. Not to mention that there's four 3rd party characters, and 1 second party one in Isaac whose owners/developers would all be entitled or allowed to have input in how their characters are presented.

It's impossible to keep this to just a small team of people.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Mystic Distance is legit, right? I remember them saying stuff before, or at least reporting on it.

Anyway they're saying there's still a character to be revealed.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
So we're really thinking this guys stupid enough to share an image that conveniently had their identity in plain sight (twice?), with someone who betrayed them and posted it on a Discord channel?

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Still on #teamreal, count me on that avatar bet. At this point I don't care, this leak is still the most interesting Smash related news since August so I'm willing to die on this hill.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that not what supposedly happened via snapchat?

I'm not 100% clear on it but I thought what happened is that the guy who worked at the marketing firm sent a snapchat to his friend with all the leak stuff and tried scrubbing his name off of it, and he was the one who posted it to Discord, which found its way to 4chan.

I might be wrong though. This thread has been a roller coaster. Can anyone else chime in?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hey, Mystic Distance is legit, right? I remember them saying stuff before, or at least reporting on it.

This isn't really a bombshell
Spawn Wave said the exact same thing, Incineroar was missing and someone else in particular was missing that made him call it a fake

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I see the air has gotten tense sound here... still on #Teamreal though! I don't find the background discovery to be compelling evidence against the leak. If that's the best there is against it after a whole day than I don't think something better will be found.

Art could simply not be finalized, the castle could have been removed (Promotial art for Mario Oddessey was changed around a few times as well) https://twitter.com/dylanminori/status/1055313056090243073?s=21

Castle still could be there like other "missing" touches but not clearly visible because of bluriness.

Backdrop could have more versions with slight variations.

It's just not the conclusive stuff that puts the leak to its' grave.
I don't believe it would be changed after being sent to the printers, let alone after being printed. Blurriness is way more likely than that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no, tell me how something like this happens
snapchat is for sending videos that you know will be deleted to your friends. you can view it once or twice before it is deleted. in this case one of those friends that received the message was not a very good friend, as they screenshotted the snap and posted it in a Discord and things went from there.

as was previously stated in this thread by someone who has done similar things before, it's not unlikely that the person thought the snaps would be safe or didn't even realize the snaps they were sending had unrevealed info in them

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Here's the thing.

Sakurai is a man who is probably sick of all these leaks ruining the surprises for newcomers. So since this is his fifth game, he made damn well sure none of it is getting out and is only letting close people to him know who is going to be in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he threw in a red herring like Fire Tiger dude because people would believe in such a safe bet. So, these insider would say they know who's going to be in the game and denounce any leak that doesn't have him in leading to a massive surprise when all the character are unveiled and everybody is excited and happy.

Thing is, there was a bit of a unknown factor at work here, most leaks are people trying to get attention and say they have inside information even if they are BSing. This leak however is just a bad coincidence of Snap chatting with his friend and a small band with the mural of all the characters on it got on it. Considering that the game is finished and there is a massive event happening soon, it makes sense for all this stuff to come out. I mean it was going to happen anyway considering the history of Smash leak, but people are starved for information since Isabelle and this guy's friend decided to ruin his life by posting this information online.

Some of this stuff lines up like

The toy gun that Sakurai bought looks like Mach Rider's
Shadows disappearance of his assist trophy
Mach Rider fits the bill of a weird retro rep
Little details in the mural like the Venus Djinn next to Isaac and the placement of some characters

If this whole thing is a fake, I find it harder to believe than it being real

Sometimes realism is stranger than fiction
Good post. Totally makes sense.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017

So insiders seems to have one source or the other. This guy says the same as PapaGenos right now. Then there's the established insiders from resetera themselves who aren't sure what to say.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
no, tell me how something like this happens
From my understanding is that you can send a small video kind of like a vine to a friend and Snapchat will then delete the video later on it's own after being viewed. At least that's my understanding and the guy sent the Snapchat of the banner in poor judgement and that's how we got this

Status
Not open for further replies.